Author Topic: Late Brahms Piano Works -- that's Ops 116 - 119 mainly.  (Read 23038 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Late Brahms Piano Works -- that's Ops 116 - 119 mainly.
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »

Rittner, whose Brahms (in general) is vigourous and youthful, passionate, but maybe too fireworksy for some. Their instruments sound very different as well.

Yes that ties in with my impression of Rittner in op 76/79. How did you get to hear his op 116 - 119 - is it up for streaming somewhere?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
Yes that ties in with my impression of Rittner in op 76/79. How did you get to hear his op 116 - 119 - is it up for streaming somewhere?
No, I paid for it some time ago (probably whenever Qobuz had an offer on MDG). It probably can be acquired through free channels of questionable legality as well; the label doesn't grant any permissions for streaming that I know of, and they seem to get pirated a lot. Correlation/causation >.>

It was worth the €9 or whatever, though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:45:30 PM by amw »

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2016, 09:17:36 AM »
What do folks think of Angelich's late Brahms?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
What do folks think of Angelich's late Brahms?

Not so special.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline George

• Veteran member
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »

Today I decided to compare the first movement of some of my recordings of Op. 116, specifically Kovacevich, Angelich and the above Rudy set. The Kovacevich was powerful and impressive, he played the first movement like a panther, but I wasn't in the mood tonight for that kind of playing. Also, he sounded a little young for late Brahms. The Angelich was played in a similar manner, so I then tried Rudy and found it much more to my taste, as the playing was somewhat more laid back. I listened to Rudy's entire Op. 116 and really enjoyed it. The piano sound sparkled, the slow movements were played with great tenderness and intimacy. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, as I has originally bought this set because I have admired a number of Rudy's other recordings. I rate Rudy's Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos with Jansons quite highly, in fact, I feel his EMI set is the best complete set, for performance and sound. So now I plan to listen to more of the above set in the coming days and hope to enjoy his Op. 117-119 as much as his Op. 116.

Offline George

• Veteran member
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
Just to follow up, although I have certainly heard better, I enjoyed Rudy's Op. 117 somewhat, but the more extroverted works in Op. 118 were played too over the top for me. He plays them like a virtuoso in a large concert hall, and for me, that style doesn't fit here.

I think I will revisit Gieseking's 1951 recordings, Angelich's Virgin recordings and Lupu's Decca Brahms (along with his Schubert) recordings next.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
Just to follow up, although I have certainly heard better, I enjoyed Rudy's Op. 117 somewhat, but the more extroverted works in Op. 118 were played too over the top for me. He plays them like a virtuoso in a large concert hall, and for me, that style doesn't fit here.

Rudy generally doesn't get enough love.  I'm hoping Warner does a big box at some point.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Oldnslow

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
Rudy's Janacek and Liszt are also very fine. An excellent pianist, and still active in Europe I believe

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
Rudy's Janacek and Liszt are also very fine. An excellent pianist, and still active in Europe I believe

Yes, I was going to mention his excellent recording of the Liszt Sonata in B Minor.

Offline Elk

« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2017, 04:40:16 AM »
This may be my 1st post. I do not have the extensive collections that many of you have, but these pieces, as well as other late Brahms'works, are among my favourites (I'm Canadian; hence, the British spelling).

My next door neighbour studied to be a concert pianist and performed at the Warsaw Chopin Competition. I invite her over sometimes to listen blind to different piano interpretations, Like the time we listened to Richter's WTC, the Melodya and RCA releases. She listens blind, not knowing what is coming or who is playing. On this particular occasion, we both preferred the LP, surface noise and all, to the RCA CD because the engineers of the CD had not only reduced the tape hiss, but also the 'air' of the concert venue, but that is another story...

I have Gilels' Op. 116, Grimaud's Erato, both of Kocacevich's forays, Lupu's, Angelich's, and lastly Alexeev's. One night we listened to but one intermezzo. She gave her impressions first, and we both agreed that Alexeev swept the field, not only with his interpretation, which seemed to reach the very heart of the music, but also with the recorded sound, which while analogue, made the piano sound tangibly in the room, with wonderful bass extension (not bloated like the Lupu).

While satisfied with the Alexeev, you all have made me want to expand my collection in the usual search for more perfection. I thank you.

Offline George

• Veteran member
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2017, 07:35:47 AM »
This may be my 1st post. I do not have the extensive collections that many of you have, but these pieces, as well as other late Brahms'works, are among my favourites (I'm Canadian; hence, the British spelling).

My next door neighbour studied to be a concert pianist and performed at the Warsaw Chopin Competition. I invite her over sometimes to listen blind to different piano interpretations, Like the time we listened to Richter's WTC, the Melodya and RCA releases. She listens blind, not knowing what is coming or who is playing. On this particular occasion, we both preferred the LP, surface noise and all, to the RCA CD because the engineers of the CD had not only reduced the tape hiss, but also the 'air' of the concert venue, but that is another story...

I have Gilels' Op. 116, Grimaud's Erato, both of Kocacevich's forays, Lupu's, Angelich's, and lastly Alexeev's. One night we listened to but one intermezzo. She gave her impressions first, and we both agreed that Alexeev swept the field, not only with his interpretation, which seemed to reach the very heart of the music, but also with the recorded sound, which while analogue, made the piano sound tangibly in the room, with wonderful bass extension (not bloated like the Lupu).

While satisfied with the Alexeev, you all have made me want to expand my collection in the usual search for more perfection. I thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

And thanks for the reminder about Alexeev.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK