Author Topic: Music and Math  (Read 9470 times)

Offline nathanb

Re: Music and Math
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
"It is said," that "Musicians" are often adept at maths, languages, and they are also quick to learn how to fly an airplane.

Well, "It is said." lol.

My professor for Flight Performance & Stability was both an ardent lover of unconventional aircraft design and, apparently, a fair cellist.

But extreme minority cases are rarely useful, lol.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Dont see that you saved me any time, just obfuscated what I said back in 2007 without contradicting any of it.  To try to add some real clarity I would add that music theory is not math in the sense that there is no axiomatic foundation such as exists in statistics, computer science or other fields in applied math.  However, I do like the Monk quote

Way back in 2007, eh?  I must have missed that class ;-)

Of course, I over-reacted, not to your post but to the usual floating in the ether plethora of those who think that some ordering of music and its basic materials can be done near to solely via maths, which is, unfortunately, a fairly commonplace recurring premise (a premise almost always put forth by non-composers, btw.)

And of course I would think it more than obvious and needing no further qualification that Music Theory is, by its very title as definition, neither a math or a science.

Best regards
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:25:18 AM by Monsieur Croche »
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
Better Music Through Science!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
Better Music Through Science!

Karl, are you old enough to remember the post-war 1950's promotional campaign / propaganda slogan
"Better Living Through Chemistry?"
(The 60's generation took it to heart, used that slogan with a wink, in a way the 50's set would never have imagined:-)
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK