Author Topic: Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
I'd said it before and I reiterate it now: afaIc, no melody, no music. I guess I should really stick with Late Baroque, Classical and Romantic --- and that's where I actually do stick ;D

Yes but let's get back to Sweelinck, because I bet that one reason that XB-70 could enjoy his stuff is that in some things sweet melody is the hook, same with Peter Philips, less so with Byrd. I think you should listen to some Sweelinck and Philips when you're next in the mood.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:23:32 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
Yes but let's get back to Sweelinck,

By all means, sorry for the disruption!
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Funny, because, when organ music is played in a church with large acoustics and more reverb, I prefer a faster tempo with apt phrasing and not that much legato, to give the reverb a lesser chance to make the sound diffuse.
So far, this has been my listening experience, both in live concerts and at my 'hifi' home. Hence I did not have any problems with this specific recording.

The Ricercar is indeed a great piece... I should listen to JPS more often. ;)

Btw, so far I have not checked Schoonbroodt's own website, because, according to my (Norton) internet safety control, his site is 'probably hacked'. :blank:

I listened today to Schoonbroodt playing the A minor ricercar SwVW 280. It is fabulous really, really off the rails, like it's going to explode with intense energy. . And as if to confound us all, he takes longer than anyone else I know - though it still appears fast. It just is such exciting and committed playing it's irrsistable. It's incredible how sometimes these ricercars - which are just basically imitation really - can sometimes take off like that, I mean you wouldn't think that 12 minutes of imitation could sound so wild.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK