Author Topic: Tone Poems  (Read 28757 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Tone Poems
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »
Thanks Roasted Swan but the image comes up blank on my screen. Is it the Naxos Holst CD with the Cotswolds Symphony (which I don't like very much)? If so I'm sure it's still worth having for the other items featured. Yes, the Moeran release was very good too.

Here it is:

I'm not a fan of the Cotswolds Symphony either, but this disc is very much worth having for the colorful "Japanese Suite" and "Indra", which are among my favorite Holst works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
Here it is:

I'm not a fan of the Cotswolds Symphony either, but this disc is very much worth having for the colorful "Japanese Suite" and "Indra", which are among my favorite Holst works.
Thanks Kyle. I might get that one for Indra if I don't have the Lyrita recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
Thanks Kyle. I might get that one for Indra if I don't have the Lyrita recording.
Because I'm not that much a fan of the early (1899-1900) Cotswolds Symphony either, and having Bostock's recording of it already, I never bought this Naxos CD. Following the advice of Imogen Holst, I never paid much attention to any pre-1910 Holst, not even to Indra, Symphonic Poem Op. 13 from 1903. But I have the Lyrita CD and will listen to it now, at your advice:  8)

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »
Because I'm not that much a fan of the early (1899-1900) Cotswolds Symphony either, and having Bostock's recording of it already, I never bought this Naxos CD. Following the advice of Imogen Holst, I never paid much attention to any pre-1910 Holst, not even to Indra, Symphonic Poem Op. 13 from 1903. But I have the Lyrita CD and will listen to it now, at your advice:  8)

Worry not - Indra is of significantly better quality IMO than his works composed a few years before it, such as the Cotswolds Symphony and the Walt Whitman Overture.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B3I7JMkK6bI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B3I7JMkK6bI</a>

pjme

« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »
Has this suite (let's call it a tone poem!?) been performed since 1947?? I would love to hear it in good sound.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HfkpU8GKRoc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HfkpU8GKRoc</a>

Arturo Toscanini cond/ NBC Symphony Orchestra (radio broadcast from 1947)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This orchestral suite was prepared by Toscanini himself, and this is, apparently, the only existing recording.
The suite roughly comprises two parts:
Act 1 beginning (0:00 - 19:17) and Act 2 Finale (19:17 - 21:13). However, there are a lot of cuts which were made to preserve a musical flow due to the lack of voices (in the first half at least). There are also a few cases of added instrumentation, more often than not to recreate the melodic line of the voices, but not always. So if you hear a trumpet but don't see any notes on the trumpet's staff, look at the vocal line, as the trumpet may be simply playing what would've been sung in the original opera.

And a Villa Lobos rarity: Naufragio de Kleonicos (1916)  - the music starts at 03.45

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UIoJBtJgWL4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UIoJBtJgWL4</a>
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:27:02 AM by pjme »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »
I enjoyed Bantock's powerful and brooding 'Thalaba the Destroyer' this morning, as recommended above.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
I enjoyed Bantock's powerful and brooding 'Thalaba the Destroyer' this morning, as recommended above.

Great! It's a thrilling piece with an exotic oriental touch (something I like so much in works).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2018, 01:08:53 AM »
Great! It's a thrilling piece with an exotic oriental touch (something I like so much in works).
I also greatly enjoyed 'Processional' and 'Camel Caravan' on the same CD. So many thanks for the recommendation Caesar.
 :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:10:39 AM by vandermolen »

pjme

« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2018, 08:41:16 AM »
.....(with) an exotic oriental touch (something I like so much in works).
This may suit your taste!????

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qj6CpqMGjG8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qj6CpqMGjG8</a>

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
I also greatly enjoyed 'Processional' and 'Camel Caravan' on the same CD. So many thanks for the recommendation Caesar.
 :)

You're welcome! It's a great CD indeed, so is the rest of the set.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2018, 11:14:36 AM »
This may suit your taste!????

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qj6CpqMGjG8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qj6CpqMGjG8</a>

I'm gonna listen to it this afternoon.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
Just I listened to the suggestion of pjme (Cemal Resit Rey - The Conqueror). I didn't hear many oriental influences in the work.  From 11:00 on (more or less) the work began to be somewhat interesting. Neither excellent nor bad, just okay.

pjme

« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2018, 02:08:06 AM »
OK - I understand!  :)

I thought that the "entry of the Janissary army" , the battle, was more than "just a touch".

Anyway, Rey 's symphonic poem (a hommage to Mehmet II, the Ottoman sultan who conquered Constantinople in 1453) I find quite effective in its combination of (very,very late) late Romanticism (lushly cinematographic, quasi Respighian-Straussian etc.) and Janissary pomp!

I'm sure there are more Turkish composers you may like....

P.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
OK - I understand!  :)

I thought that the "entry of the Janissary army" , the battle, was more than "just a touch".

Anyway, Rey 's symphonic poem (a hommage to Mehmet II, the Ottoman sultan who conquered Constantinople in 1453) I find quite effective in its combination of (very,very late) late Romanticism (lushly cinematographic, quasi Respighian-Straussian etc.) and Janissary pomp!

I'm sure there are more Turkish composers you may like....

P.

Precisely that part was the most notorious (bolded text). Overall, being Rey a Turkish composer, I thought there would be more exoticism in that work (or maybe I'm being very demanding  ::) ). Anyway, possibly other works of his would appeal more to my tastes, who knows  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Wood Nymph' by Sibelius (Douglas Bostock/Gothenburg-Aarhus Philharmonic). In fact I played it again as soon as I had heard it. It reminded me a bit of the Four Legends for Orchestra. Very enjoyable in all respects.

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
Listing some of my very favourites:

Sibelius: Pohjola's Daughter, Luonnotar, Lemminkäinen, Nightride and Sunrise, The Bard, En Saga, The Oceanides, Kullervo
R. Strauss: Tod und Verklärung, Alpensinfonie, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Heldenleben, Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegel, Aus Italien
Liszt: Ce qu'on entend sur la montagne, Heroïde funébre, Les préludes, Tasso, Faust Symphony
Rachmaninoff: The Rock, Prince Rostislav, Isle of the Dead
Dvorak: The Golden Spinning Wheel, The Water Goblin
Rimsky-Korsakov: Golden Cockerel suite, Scheherazade, Sadko, Snow Maiden Suite
Zemlinsky: Seejungfrau
Debussy: Prélude á l'aprés midi d'un faune, La mer
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll
Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet
Bax: Into The Twilight, In the Faëry Hills

That'll do for now.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Listing some of my very favourites:

Sibelius: Pohjola's Daughter, Luonnotar, Lemminkäinen, Nightride and Sunrise, The Bard, En Saga, The Oceanides, Kullervo
R. Strauss: Tod und Verklärung, Alpensinfonie, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Heldenleben, Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegel, Aus Italien
Liszt: Ce qu'on entend sur la montagne, Heroïde funébre, Les préludes, Tasso, Faust Symphony
Rachmaninoff: The Rock, Prince Rostislav, Isle of the Dead
Dvorak: The Golden Spinning Wheel, The Water Goblin
Rimsky-Korsakov: Golden Cockerel suite, Scheherazade, Sadko, Snow Maiden Suite
Zemlinsky: Seejungfrau
Debussy: Prélude á l'aprés midi d'un faune, La mer
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll
Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet
Bax: Into The Twilight, In the Faëry Hills

That'll do for now.
Agree with many of these. No 'Tapiola'?  :o

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
Was Bax's November Woods and Tintagel mentioned?

After all these years listening to Les Preludes - the granddaddy of them all, still sends chills down my spine, especially the HVK or Solti/LPO recordings.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
César Franck’s Le chasseur maudit (The Accursed Huntsman) is among my favourites. It’s in the line of those scary encounters works such as the Ride to the Abyss (Berlioz), Erlkönig (Schubert), The Water Goblin (Dvorak), Tapiola (Sibelius), Tam O’Shanter (Arnold). I have a particular liking for those  >:D.