Author Topic: Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise  (Read 130528 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds of Mother Goose, The Child, & the Spells
Re: Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise
« Reply #1460 on: November 28, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
Roz's is one of my favorite cycles too although I haven't completed it yet. I've been collecting the individual CDs since the 90s. Have 4-10, 12, 14 and 15. Especially love his 4 and 15.

Sarge

His 4th is AMAZING. But I was equally impressed with everything I've heard from his cycle so far, which now includes 1-6, 9, and 11. I'm going to check out his Leningrad later on tonight. Okay, you're only missing 1-3 and 13. You don't have much more to go!
“I did my work slowly, drop by drop. I tore it out of me by pieces.” - Maurice Ravel

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
    The sounds of Mother Goose, The Child, & the Spells
« Reply #1461 on: November 28, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
But the complete set seems even rarer!
Some of the singles are quite expensive, but others are not browsing amazon.de I think one could cobble together the set with the twofers and some singles for around 100-120 Euros. Maybe I should sell some of mine if the price is right... (I have twofers with 1,5,6,9 and 7+8 and singles of 4,11,13)

Yes, the complete set is incredibly hard to find now, but after doing some digging via Amazon DE, Amazon US, Amazon UK, and eBay, I've come to the following conclusion that it's an expensive series no matter how you collect it given it's apparent scarcity. I was certainly fortunate enough to run across a copy of the complete set, so, even at hefty price tag, I snagged it.

By the way, those Melodiya twofers are NOT cheap and I was browsing through the single issues on Olympia and those aren't much better.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:50:40 PM by Mirror Image »
“I did my work slowly, drop by drop. I tore it out of me by pieces.” - Maurice Ravel

Offline bluto32

« Reply #1462 on: February 24, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
This thread has been an interesting read and convinced me to purchase a budget cycle. I have listened to numbers 5 and 8 a few times and enjoy them enormously; 7 and 10 are growing on me. I don't (or hardly) know any of the others. I am considering one of these budget cycles:
  • Petrenko (RLPO, Naxos)
  • Barshai (WDR, Brilliant Classics)
  • Jansons (Various, Warner/EMI)
Haitink was in the running, but I would prefer not to duplicate the few symphonies I already have by him separately (1&5 and 8, on Decca Virtuoso).

My main considerations are:
  • Faithful to the score rather than individualistic interpretations
  • Good sound quality (I understand they are all good, although perhaps Petrenko is best overall being so recent? And with the Jansons set being recorded over so many years with so many (8?) orchestras - is the sound uneven?)
  • A sensible dynamic range (i.e. not having to change the volume during a particular symphony because the FFF annoys the neighbours but then ppp is inaudible...)
If you own two or more of these cycles, what would your advice be based on the above?
Bluto

Offline Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1463 on: February 24, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
This thread has been an interesting read and convinced me to purchase a budget cycle. I have listened to numbers 5 and 8 a few times and enjoy them enormously; 7 and 10 are growing on me. I don't (or hardly) know any of the others. I am considering one of these budget cycles:
  • Petrenko (RLPO, Naxos)
  • Barshai (WDR, Brilliant Classics)
  • Jansons (Various, Warner/EMI)
Haitink was in the running, but I would prefer not to duplicate the few symphonies I already have by him separately (1&5 and 8, on Decca Virtuoso).

My main considerations are:
  • Faithful to the score rather than individualistic interpretations
  • Good sound quality (I understand they are all good, although perhaps Petrenko is best overall being so recent? And with the Jansons set being recorded over so many years with so many (8?) orchestras - is the sound uneven?)
  • A sensible dynamic range (i.e. not having to change the volume during a particular symphony because the FFF annoys the neighbours but then ppp is inaudible...)
If you own two or more of these cycles, what would your advice be based on the above?
Bluto

There is also Rostropovich, which I recently acquired but haven’t listened to yet.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #1465 on: Today at 11:06:58 AM »
....(I understand they are all good, although perhaps Petrenko is best overall being so recent?....)

Actually, Barshai's is the best sonically (great performances, too). It's the hall that does it. The Philharmonie, Köln is a stunner acoustically, very "open", bringing out the burnished sound of the orchestra wonderfully. Obviously the technical team knew its stuff, too.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1466 on: Today at 04:19:01 PM »
I’ve beeen to the Phiharmonie twice and it is indeed an excellent hall. There are acoustic differences from one area to the other, but the sound is never less than excellent whatever the seat.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK