Author Topic: All things viol  (Read 7053 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: All things viol
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 07:59:40 AM »
Cross post from the Listening Thread

Lobet ihn mit Saitenspiel:

Scheidt: Pavane-Galliarde-Allemande
Finger: Pastorale
Buxtehude: Jubilato Domine

I find this to be an interesting LP which may be of interest. I do not know if it ever made it to CD.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: All things viol
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »

One thing that is really impressive about Robin Pharo’s new recording of music by Charles Dollé is his capacity to enter into and reveal the soul of the music, the expressive content. These pieces sometimes have titles which say what effect they’re supposed to have, and Pharo is completely in tune with Dollé’s intentions. When Dollé calls for tendre he’s tender. When Dollé calls a piece l’amoureux, you can imagine the music as an expression of the delight lovers may take in being together. When Dollé calls a piece le difficile you are indeed aware, as a listener, of how gnarly the music is. Three charming suites. I think this reveals Dollé every bit the equal of Marais and Forqueray, I terms of quality if not in terms of quantity and fame. And it reveals Dollé to be every bit his own man. While the former has a gift for evocative tunes, and the latter has a gift for intense virtuosity, Dollé has a gift for expressive poetry.

Very well recorded. Booklet has a little appreciation by the performer and an essay on the composer and his music, a pleasure to read.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:01:35 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen