Author Topic: Alan Hovhaness — Where to begin?  (Read 27583 times)

Online Bubbles

• aka Judge Fish
Re: Alan Hovhaness — Where to begin?
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »
Here's an interesting question – which of Hovhaness' works sounds least like his typical sound? 

I think there are probably some Hovhaness outliers out there that are worth exploring.

Off the top of my head, two albums come to mind:

Hovhaness: Janabar, Talin, Shambala

Hovhaness: Ode to the Temple of Sound, etc

I'm curious to hear what relatively exotic works by Hovhaness people have heard.  Anything not recognizable?

By the way, the Shambala is a sitar concerto – that's fairly exotic instrumentation at least.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:07:08 PM by Fidgety »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2018, 01:51:51 AM »
Here's an interesting question – which of Hovhaness' works sounds least like his typical sound? 

I think there are probably some Hovhaness outliers out there that are worth exploring.

I'm curious to hear what relatively exotic works by Hovhaness people have heard.  Anything not recognizable?

By the way, the Shambala is a sitar concerto – that's fairly exotic instrumentation at least.
The ending of 'Meditation on Orpheus', presumably depicting the decapitation of Orpheus is uncharacteristically violent for Hovhaness (notwithstanding the musical depiction of the eruption of Mount St Helens in Symphony 50). Those are two of my favourite Hovhaness compositions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
The ending of 'Meditation on Orpheus', presumably depicting the decapitation of Orpheus is uncharacteristically violent for Hovhaness (notwithstanding the musical depiction of the eruption of Mount St Helens in Symphony 50). Those are two of my favourite Hovhaness compositions.

Mine too, Jeffrey, although I do still love Symphony No. 2, “Mysterious Mountain”.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Online Bubbles

• aka Judge Fish
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2018, 08:30:12 AM »
Nice ending! Thanks for the tip.

I'm gonna state for the record that AFAIK Shambala is his most unique composition.  It's quite long for one thing (45 minutes), and with the sitar there are moments when it almost, almost, doesn't sound like Hovhaness.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:57:49 AM by Fidgety »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »

I think that Symphony 25 'Odysseus' is a rather 'spikier' work than some although it has characteristic moments and an affirmative sense of home-coming towards the end. It's companion Symphony 6 'Celestial Gate' is one I especially like and often play.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:21:51 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).