Author Topic: Chez Stravinsky  (Read 150711 times)

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
Re: Chez Stravinsky
« Reply #1220 on: June 07, 2019, 10:14:33 PM »
In addition the reader has to keep in mind IS's utterances were usually filtered through Kraft, who edited and in many cases co-authored the material. So one is never sure who is talking.

Whereas Schoenberg's relatively few words represent his deepest convictions about serious matters, Stravinsky's many verbal expressions reflect a restless, changeable, volatile figure who accepts the fluctuations of his personality apparently without difficulty.In the foreword to his autobiography he acknowledged his infidelities: "As I call my recollections to mind, I shall nearly be obliged to speak of my opinions, my tastes, my preferences, and my abhorrences. I am but too well aware of how much these feelings vary in the course of time. This is why I shall great care not to confuse my present reactions with those experienced at other stages of my life.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1221 on: June 08, 2019, 05:44:24 AM »
In addition the reader has to keep in mind IS's utterances were usually filtered through Kraft, who edited and in many cases co-authored the material. So one is never sure who is talking.

Indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1222 on: August 14, 2019, 05:26:08 AM »
Symphony in C

Thoughts on this piece? I've become kind of hooked on it recently, listening to it several days in a row. (LSO/Davis recording)

Which surprises me - I'd listened to it a couple of times and thought "that's nice, but it's inferior to Symphony in Three Movements." Now I'm not so sure. There's a lot of neoclassical punch and attitude, and some interesting gestures, like the slow, melancholy fade at the end, which is so different in mood from the rest of the piece.

So I mostly ignored it for years, but suddenly I'm hooked on it.

Something I've always wondered: is there a reason Boulez never really recorded Stravinsky's late works? He was so dismissive of the older composer's neoclassical period,

Are you sure about this? I heard Boulez do a sizzling Symphony in Three Movements with the CSO, and he's recorded it and some other pieces from that period, I think. Boulez would sometimes express his disdain for a composer, and then turn right around in his estimation.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1223 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »
Symphony in C

Thoughts on this piece? I've become kind of hooked on it recently, listening to it several days in a row. (LSO/Davis recording)

Long ago, I was underwhelmed by the Symphony in C, but now, yes, I like it a great deal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #1224 on: August 14, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
^Well, boys, I'm going to have to revisit the Symphony in C on account of this recent discussion, as it's never left much of a mark on me either, but I'm sure there is something to it. I have the Stravinsky/CBC Symphony recording.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1225 on: August 15, 2019, 12:03:47 AM »
It's a great piece and I like the Stravinsky recording. I also slightly prefer the "in 3 movements" but the "in C" is still a formidable piece.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Andy D.

« Reply #1226 on: August 15, 2019, 01:18:50 AM »
^Well, boys, I'm going to have to revisit the Symphony in C on account of this recent discussion, as it's never left much of a mark on me either, but I'm sure there is something to it. I have the Stravinsky/CBC Symphony recording.

Huge fan of the Symphony of Psalms and this recording.

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #1227 on: August 15, 2019, 01:34:46 AM »
Yes, that is definitely my favorite recording of the Symphony of Psalms. Miles beyond the other recording I have, Boulez/Berlin, who seem to rush through the third movement. The other two symphonies are also great, especially the Symphony in 3 Movements. I won't be seeking out any further recordings of these works. I think the composer's conducting in these three works is definitive, unlike the Rite of Spring and Petrushka, in which I like his recordings but prefer others'.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #1228 on: August 15, 2019, 02:26:30 AM »
Yes, that is definitely my favorite recording of the Symphony of Psalms. Miles beyond the other recording I have, Boulez/Berlin, who seem to rush through the third movement. The other two symphonies are also great, especially the Symphony in 3 Movements. I won't be seeking out any further recordings of these works. I think the composer's conducting in these three works is definitive, unlike the Rite of Spring and Petrushka, in which I like his recordings but prefer others'.
You should look into this one. It's criminal that it's out of print, but there are used copies at least.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #1229 on: August 15, 2019, 02:48:30 AM »
^That looks great. Thanks, I’ll have to check it out for sure. I don’t have a recording of the Mass or the Canticum Sacrum either.

Offline Andy D.

« Reply #1230 on: August 16, 2019, 12:05:01 AM »
You should look into this one. It's criminal that it's out of print, but there are used copies at least.

I like the Tilson-Thomas as well.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.