Author Topic: GMG Members' Personal Essentials Lists  (Read 52717 times)

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
Re: GMG Members' Personal Essentials Lists
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2016, 07:19:32 AM »
Ha. For me it was the Verdi Requiem.

That's a good one. The first live performance of music I was taken to was Rossini's William Tell. I have no idea how that did not put me off. I don't recall clamouring for more of the same, I was probably nine or 10; but it must have set something off.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »
So what's Croche's list?

I do 'do' recommends to Q's of 'more like,' or 'if I like this/these then what else...' etc. In those I try to tailor the choice to the person who asks [may be music I don't care for, or even 'don't believe in,' but if it will suit the question so I think that party will continue and explore, then....] For the more 'tabula rasa' asker wanting recommends, I tend toward dropping in some modern/contemporary and chamber music -- you never know when it is such a blank slate what will take, and others predictably list standards from the Romantic, Classical and Baroque. [It seems a logical step if someone is coming from a listening habit of lead, rhythm, and bass guitar w percussion that a chamber ensemble is one kind of next step.]

The only list I ever wrote was after someone had asked me about a four-letter crossword slot, the answer to which was ''Lalo,'' and that triggered me to sit down and write off the top of my head 'composer names I knew.' After not many minutes, ten or eleven maybe, I stopped after there were a few over two hundred. Mental calisthenic, if you will. Useful, for one, for crossword puzzles  :)
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
Over the years on here I have been very taken aback with the pieces that members have put forward as the one that prompted them into classical music. So often it was items I assumed would certainly put them off. I would not shove the St Matthew at anyone first thing; but at some point as they start to move along, suggest then listen to a bit and see what they think. I am happy to accept the opinion of musicologists that it is one of the cornerstones of music. That is how it has felt to me in my musical journey. Newbies deserve to be introduced to the best as well as the best of the easily assimilated.

Mike

The St. Matthew Passion happened to be one of the first pieces I listened to when I was starting to buy classical music back in the 1980s. I fell in love with it instantly, and it would be in the top 10 of any list of essentials I might make. It was this version, Herreweghe's first recording, one I have liked so much, I gave up trying to find one to better it after listening to three more recordings. I do not need to like anything more than I like this version.

This is the currently available version. $12.82 + 3.99 as I write this.:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:29:46 PM by Jay F »

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
This is not the thread for this, but Renι Jacobs as Altus in the Herreweghe 1984 is an acquired taste, to put it mildly... It's been years that I heard it but Crook is also no way in the top evangelists to be had. So I would not recommend this one as a first St. Matthew (but do not ask me which one I'd recommend...)
But some recording of the St. Matthew would probably also be among my essentials shortlist.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
Very encouraging guys. It has virtually been ever present in my life for so long that I cannot imagine any significant time without it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
The St. Matthew Passion happened to be one of the first pieces I listened to when I was starting to buy classical music back in the 1980s. I fell in love with it instantly, and it would be in the top 10 of any list of essentials I might make.

There you have it, lol. There truly is no telling, whether a completely naive tabula rasa noob or some already decided fan who is branching out, just what will strike an individual's fancy.

Maybe I'll drop the curmudgeon act [well, it is only partially an act, at least] and make up a list...

[I don't suppose there is anything like a handy collated list of all the previous recommends here to which to refer so one does not have to read the entire thread in anticipation they might be making redundant duplications, eh....]
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
My list of essentials. I know these are essential (to me), because I did a major cull in 2000, and these are among the ones I kept. Most are the versions I bought when I started collecting in 1987, which I read about in Gramophone or the 1986-1993 Penguin Guides to Classical Music. I also had four friends who knew a lot about classical, including a piano professor at a university and a music critic whose name most of you would recognize. They all loved taking me shopping. However, after a personal tragedy, by which time I'd gotten up to around 2500 CDs, I cut back to around 500. Here are my favorites from the 500.

N.B.: Most of my recommendations are from what was available in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I imagine many will have been superseded by later, better recordings, or at least better sounding recordings. So, I suggest you explore other versions in addition to the ones I am recommending. Some, I'm not recommending anyone's version. The pieces of music themselves are definite, unqualified recommendations, however.

Also, buying box sets seems to be the only way to get a lot of music these days, and it's available at such a better price than what I paid thirty years ago. So buy box sets when you can.

Mahler - The Symphonies - Bernstein, Sony
Mahler - Symphony No. 4 - Karajan
Mahler - Symphony No. 5 - Bernstein, DG
Beethoven - Symphonies - Harnoncourt, HvK's 1977 and 1963 recordings on DG
Beethoven String Quartets - Takacs or Emerson Quartet
Beethoven Piano Sonatas - Paul Lewis or Andras Schiff
Bach - St. Matthew Passion - Herreweghe 1984
Bach - Well Tempered Clavier I – Schiff
Bach - Well Tempered Clavier II – Schiff
Bach - Goldberg Variations – Schiff
Bach – Brandenburg Concertos – Pinnock, Akademie Fur Alte Musik Berlin
Brahms - Symphonies - Abbado or Honeck
Mozart Piano Concertos – Brendel, Perahia, Uchida: modern piano; Bilson, Levin: HIP
Mozart  - Symphonies 25-41
Mozart - Le Nozze di Figaro
Mozart - Die Zauberflote
Puccini - La Boheme
Schubert - String Quartets and Quintet
Schubert - Piano Trios
Schubert - Piano Sonatas
Shostakovich - String Quartets
Sibelius - The symphonies - Ashkenazy
Verdi - La Traviata
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons – Pinnock
Vivaldi – Alla Rustica – Pinnock
Vivaldi – Lute and Mandolin Concerti – Paul O’Dette

Also, do check out the chamber music of Brahms, Beethoven, and Schubert that I have not specified on this list.

ETA: I checked out how much it would cost to buy all of this new on Amazon, and I got 22 items in my cart, costing between $500-600. When I started collecting classical, a single box set of, say, Mozart Piano Concertos cost between $160-200. I remember paying $212 for Inbal's Mahler box set. Good time to be buying classical.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:36:44 PM by Jay F »

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
My list of essentials. I know these are essential (to me), because I did a major cull in 2000, and these are among the ones I kept. Most are the versions I bought when I started collecting in 1987, which I read about in Gramophone or the 1986-1993 Penguin Guides to Classical Music. I also had four friends who knew a lot about classical, including a piano professor at a university and a music critic whose name most of you would recognize. They all loved taking me shopping. However, after a personal tragedy, by which time I'd gotten up to around 2500 CDs, I cut back to around 500. Here are my favorites from the 500.

Very nice list.  Except for the Vivaldi which I like but do not consider essential, I can adhere to everything else !!!
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Very nice list.  Except for the Vivaldi which I like but do not consider essential, I can adhere to everything else !!!
If I had never heard Trevor Pinnock's Four Seasons, I might agree with you. But I cannot live without RV 425, the Mandolin Concerto in C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIZbBH-FNY

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK