Author Topic: Sviatoslav Richter  (Read 210073 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Sviatoslav Richter
« Reply #1180 on: September 19, 2019, 02:46:15 AM »
There is another? D 894 with Richter in a Brilliant box, also very slow (he seems even slower in this sonata than in D 960). Although I have never compared them the Brilliant box is also worth having.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1181 on: September 19, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »
There is another? D 894 with Richter in a Brilliant box, also very slow (he seems even slower in this sonata than in D 960). Although I have never compared them the Brilliant box is also worth having.

The Brilliant is nice, but the Philips has much better sound quality. It was recorded in 1989, eleven years after the Brilliant performance.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1182 on: September 19, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »
I have two,possibly the same, the authorised version and from an unpublished recording in Bologna in 1989 with some Webern, Syzmanowski, Bartok and Hindemith. Interesting programming there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:25:22 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1183 on: September 19, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
I have two,possibly the same, the authorised version and from an unpublished recording in Bologna in 1989 with some Webern, Syzmanowski, Bartok and Hindemith. Interesting programming there.

The Authorised was recorded in London in 1989.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline hvbias

« Reply #1184 on: September 25, 2019, 07:10:41 AM »
From looking over the Beethoven set (the first one I found on Presto), some of the recordings have been released on Philips and Melodiya, but there’s also some stuff that was otherwise only on less-familiar labels or not at all — some from very early in his career. I’m only part way through that set.

ETA: Profil is a reputable label, but I can’t help but wonder about some of these dates.

archive.org has it.

There is also a newer discography here (a link on that page goes to the google doc).

Thank you, I did end up buying the Schumann/Brahms set, after comparing several of the performances to the various live releases I have I believe that Profil's dates might be accurate since there are several performances that are unique and do not match up with what I have (my collection is very far from complete, I avoid certain labels). I ended up purchasing the others. If I have time I'll compile a list of everything that is unique.