Author Topic: Peter Eötvös, Hungarian Export  (Read 4278 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Peter Eötvös, Hungarian Export
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:37:41 AM »

Which CD is that?  The DG recording uses countertenors.  It's superb, but I must say that I'd rather listen to females.  (I'm not big on countertenors.)

Aside from Three Sisters, I've only heard his Replica, which is very good.  He's a superb conductor, too, and recorded my favorite take on Bluebeard's Castle.

3 Sisters is on Erato.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline CRCulver

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »
3 Sisters is on Erato.

It's on Deutsche Grammophon, a recording in the label's "20/21" series.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
Ah, since we've revived this thread I've got a chance to do a bit of reviving of my own. Here's a blog post I wrote in January...

The London Philharmonic Orchestra program last night opened with a UK premiere, “Shadows” by Peter Eötvös. It’s sort of a mini concerto for flute, clarinet, a percussionist with snare drum and suspended cymbal, and orchestra. It also calls for a bizarre orchestral layout in which some of the forces sit with their backs to the audience. Here’s a diagram:

I couldn’t figure out why the orchestra was asked to sit like this based on the music itself: to muffle the brass? To divide the strings really dramatically? Aside from placing the solo instruments literally in the center of the ring, there seemed to be no particular aural advantage to this. Since the performance was recorded for a CD, perhaps the CD experience will explain Eötvös’ decision.

As for the music itself: it fairly clearly was originally a chamber piece; the best movement was scored for flute and clarinet alone. At other points the orchestra interjected Scary Music chords, reminiscent of Jaws or film noir, and there were some interesting coloristic effects – neat sounds being produced by the ensemble as a whole or individual soloists. Still and all, I’m not entirely sure I could deduce from listening why Eötvös actually wrote the piece. My cynical guess is he had a nice chamber duet sitting around and fulfilled a commission by arranging it up (N.B. looking at his website, this guess is wrong; it was originally for the soloists plus a small wind ensemble and handful of strings). It achieved interesting colors and sounds but didn’t develop any sort of argument or even conversation.

Possibly this says as much about the listener as the listened.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:47:51 AM by Brian »

karlhenning

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
Extracted for Henningmusick-related emphasis:

Quote from: Brian
. . . the best movement was scored for flute and clarinet alone . . . .

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »

It must be the same performance repackaged. I do remember seeing it on Ebay (so, you know, it true! ;D). I am aware of the DG, so I must've subconsciously assumed. But, there is an Erato cd, a very early one, with the timing on the booklet cover if I remember correctly, and a very 'white' cover, I believe. Licensing,... ahhh. ::)
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

klingsor

Offline Octave

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »
Re: the Eotvos THREE SISTERS opera:

I owned the 20-21 recording and had it basically stolen from me by an ungrateful borrower: will I never learn?
I see that there is a 2012 edition from Budapest Music Center, a licensed reissue of the DG.  Does anyone know about this BMC edition, i.e. does it come with libretto in some form?  The cover is pretty ugly, but the DG is only affordably available as a burn-to-order CDR from Arkiv.  Here's a link to the BMC reissue:

The web page for the BMC edition has a messy libretto in romanized (?) Russian, plus liner notes:
http://www.bmcrecords.hu/pages/tartalom/index_en.php?kod=190
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK