Author Topic: Ned Rorem (1923 -)  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Richard Strauss (1864 - 1949)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Elektrifying sounds echoed through the Bavarian Alps
Re: Ned Rorem (1923 -)
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »
Wow!  Hard to believe that Ned Rorem, whose image on records in the 1960's always seemed to involve a black turtle-neck sweater, will be 90 this year!  ??? ??? ???

I gave his music a chance back then, and just found little to nothing there for me: however, I do recall critics back then saying that his songs were exquisite.

Yes, he's more known for his songs than anything else in his oeuvre. I revisited the symphonies a week or so ago and found them to be pretty good, but nothing really unique or different about them for me to give them another listen any time soon. I've had better luck with his concerti though.
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
Yes, he's more known for his songs than anything else in his oeuvre. I revisited the symphonies a week or so ago and found them to be pretty good, but nothing really unique or different about them for me to give them another listen any time soon. I've had better luck with his concerti though.

ok, so you like the Concertos better? Violin, Violin & Cello,... what do you recommend. The VC was also on DG.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
ok, so you like the Concertos better? Violin, Violin & Cello,... what do you recommend. The VC was also on DG.

I like his Piano Concerto No. 2 probably the best with the Violin Concerto coming in second. I need to listen to the ones for cello, flute, and the Double Concerto again.
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:20 AM »
That was my reaction! Not bad,but a bit a bland.

As to the black turtle-neck sweater! Better him than me!!

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:04 AM »
After,... uh..., exhaustive study,... I found these recordings interesting and cheap:

Piano Concerto for the Left-Hand (NewWorld)

Symphony for Strings/Eagles (NewWorld)

Winter Pages/Bright Music (NewWorld)

I look forward to hearing them. I also noticed that the entire Rorem/Naxos catalog was already in a Box! He's got quite a little bit of Orchestral Music there.

So, I'm wondering about these works:

1) works for Violin+Piano

2) The 3 Piano Trios (including the Beaux Arts performance)

3) Piano Music (3 Sonatas, Barcarolle,...)

I like the three cds I got. Kind of anonymously Modern, but in a good, listenable way. Very clean. If I need something not too much, this will do.

I think the Symphony for Strings was the biggest piece here, and it sounds like a lot of other Modern String Symphonies, with Shaw and Atlanta, so, it's quite pleasing in its own way.

oy... I'm not awake here...
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
That was my reaction! Not bad,but a bit a bland.

As to the black turtle-neck sweater! Better him than me!!

Yeah, I think his concerti exhibit more of an individual voice. I have yet to hear any of his chamber works.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK