Author Topic: Philip Glass  (Read 1464 times)

kyjo

Re: Philip Glass
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
I'm surprised this thread has only one page (well now it has two)! Anyways, though I think Glass is overhyped and I don't listen to his music with much regularity, I enjoy a few of his works when I'm in the mood: Symphonies 2, 3, 8 and 9, Violin Concerto, Concerto for Sax Quartet, Concerto-Fantasy for Two Timpanists and Orchestra and Cello Concerto no. 1. I'm eager to hear his recent (2011) Symphony no. 10, as I have enjoyed his previous two works in the form quite a bit. They seem to have an almost Brucknerian grandiosity combined with, of course, the usual Glass trademarks. My favorite Glass work, though, is his Concerto-Fantasy for Two Timpanists and Orchestra, which is a rhythmically exhilarating piece that makes me wonder why composers don't write more timpani concertos. What are everyone's favorite Glass works?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds from Knoxville during the Summer of 1915
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
Surprised to read that you actually like Glass' music, Kyle. Don't worry we can still be friends. :)
"How awful that the artist has become nothing but the after-dinner mint of society.”

kyjo

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
Surprised to read that you actually like Glass' music, Kyle. Don't worry we can still be friends. :)

I take it you don't like Glass' music, then! :D Oh, don't get me wrong, Glass is far, far from being one of my favorite composers, but I don't really dislike his music like I do that of the "holy minimalists" (mainly Part and Taverner). I also have a certain liking for John Adams' music as well. :)

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in the "Composer Discussion" section?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds from Knoxville during the Summer of 1915
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »
I take it you don't like Glass' music, then! :D Oh, don't get me wrong, Glass is far, far from being one of my favorite composers, but I don't really dislike his music like I do that of the "holy minimalists" (mainly Part and Taverner). I also have a certain liking for John Adams' music as well. :)

Yeah, Glass is a trite composer IMHO. I can barely listen anything he composed without feeling extremely letdown by halfway through. I like Adams a lot. actually. John Adams wrote three masterpieces as far as I'm concerned: 1. Harmonielehre, 2. Harmonium, and 3. Naive and Sentimental Music. I also liked the Violin Concerto, Grand Pianola Music, Shaker Loops, and The Dharma at Big Sur.
"How awful that the artist has become nothing but the after-dinner mint of society.”

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

There is a thread there: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,7831.0.html.

kyjo

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
There is a thread there: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,7831.0.html.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll repost my first post on this thread on the thread you linked to. :)