Author Topic: Adding Pictures to Posts - a comprehensive How-to  (Read 11567 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Adding Pictures to Posts - a comprehensive How-to
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »
Thanks for this Gurn. I have got the same problems as Vandermolen, but your recipe is the most clear I have seen so far. I suppose, that one also can insert the picture, which one have uploaded at photobucket, by rightclicking the mouse and leftclicking "insert".

You're welcome. 

I'm not sure about that. One problem I can see is that in photobucket, the images are arranged in an 'album', and so if you were to right-click there, you would only get the thumbnail. Photobucket has a cool little app though that work in Windows (possibly they have it for Apple too, not sure). If you see a picture anywhere on the Web that you like, you can right click it and select "upload to photobucket", and it will put it right in your album. I do this sometimes when I don't know if it will remain where I stole it from it was and I don't want to lose track of it. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
Thanks very much Gurn and sanantonio - I finally cracked it, having created a photobucket account and followed Gurn's suggested procedure. I posted a photo of myself to the 'What do you look like?' section in celebration of this technological breakthrough  ;D.

Thanks again.

Ah, splendid!   Huzzah!  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
You have to be a GMG "S" subscriber to post images on a thread from your own hard drive.

Yes, I didn't realize that.

King Karajan, go here for some good instruction:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19467.msg684622.html#msg684622
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
I had this problem too - see the helpful advice from Gurn etc in the section 'Image Posting' under GMG News - this sorted it out for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »
Hi, Jeffrey,
Well, in order for the image feature to work, it is vitally important that the image resides in a permanent place on the Internet, and that this place has link locations that don't change. For that reason, images from a place like Amazon (even without the [asin ][ /asin] feature) work well, because they are always in the same place. This is the reason that Dave recommended SmugMug. I use photobucket (www.photobucket.com) for the same purpose. It's free, and all you do is upload the pictures you want into it. They are there for keeps! I still have pictures there from 7 or 8 years ago!  Anyway, then when I want to post a picture, I go to photobucket, browse for the picture or upload it from my computer, click on the "IMG code" line. It copies the link to my clipboard and then I come back here to my message and simply press "Ctrl + V" and it pastes the link in where the cursor is, with the IMG code already in place. Couldn't be easier. All it takes to join is a valid email address.  :)

8)

It's a while since I posted an image and I seem to have forgotten how to do it - apologies  ::)

I now have a photobucket account but when I click on 'IM/Email' to the right of the photo and then paste to the forum I just get the link rather than the photo itself. I'm not sure if this is the same as 'IMG Code Line' and I'm also not sure what clipboard is. Any explanations welcome.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 01:17:01 AM »
You have to insert the photobucket link between these two tags (which will appear in your post when you click the image icon):

[* img][* /img]

Forget the two * which I have inserted to make the tags show.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »
It's a while since I posted an image and I seem to have forgotten how to do it - apologies  ::)

I now have a photobucket account but when I click on 'IM/Email' to the right of the photo and then paste to the forum I just get the link rather than the photo itself. I'm not sure if this is the same as 'IMG Code Line' and I'm also not sure what clipboard is. Any explanations welcome.  :)

Hi Jeffrey. It's been a while since I logged into my Photobucket account, but unless I'm mistaken these photo-sharing websites usually also give you a link formatted in BBCode. That's the one which has the photo's link within the [IMG] tags, as Erato has shown.

A clipboard is a location in your computer where 'things' (text, image, files etc.) which you have copied temporarily reside, and from where you can then 'paste' it somewhere else, as in a web browser or a Word document. The copied data will stay there as long as you don't cut/copy anything else and don't reboot your computer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:24:16 AM by Opus106 »
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 01:51:51 AM »
Navneeth, New Erato,

Very many thanks.

Jeffrey

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 04:06:12 AM »
Still can't do it  :(

When I go to photo bucket I can find the picture but to the right of it see four options:

Email and IM
Direct
HTML
IMG

Which is the correct option please?

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
HTML. Paste in between the image tags. The code should start with http://

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:32 AM »
Still can't do it  :(

When I go to photo bucket I can find the picture but to the right of it see four options:

Email and IM
Direct
HTML
IMG

Which is the correct option please?

IMG.

Paste in between the image tags. The code should start with http://

That would be the 'Direct' option. IMG will have the link tagged and ready to post.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:15:40 AM by Opus106 »
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 04:22:27 AM »
You're right. Just logged in to check, what I describe is the direct option.

And by using the IMG option you can bypass the whole image tag I described, just copy the code into your post.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:50 AM »
Thanks so much. Should have got there by 2017 8)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »
Done it  :)

Navneeth and NE many thanks (I'll be in touch soon when I forget how to do it  ::))

Jeffrey

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »
Done it  :)

Navneeth and NE many thanks (I'll be in touch soon when I forget how to do it  ::))

Jeffrey

:D Excellent!
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
Amazon US seems to have changed how they show images on many item pages; it seems impossible for me to copy the image address from there to post within the IMG brackets here on GMG to show the CD image.  The best workaround I've thought of so far is to copy the image address of the thumbnail image appearing on the search page and sizing it up.  The other alternative is of course to post the ASIN link, but I only want to do that for recordings I feel comfortable suggesting to others.

For instance, wanting to post an image of Pollini's latest Beethoven CD, I did an Amazon search for Pollini Beethoven, and grabbed the address of the small image appearing there. 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yAUyvxAhL._AA160_.jpg
which appears in its natural state as

Then use the image bracket function, insert height 275 in the first image bracket, thereby changing it to [image height=275] to enlarge it, and the result is (deleting brackets to allow the HTML to actually show)

img height=275 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yAUyvxAhL._AA160_.jpg[/img]

275 (pixel amount)is my personal preference for image size;  anywhere from 250 on up seems to work well, although 300 or above may be too big.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:36:44 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

Parsifal

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
Amazon US seems to have changed how they show images on many item pages; it seems impossible for me to copy the image address from there to post within the IMG brackets here on GMG to show the CD image.  The best workaround I've thought of so far is to copy the image address of the thumbnail image appearing on the search page and sizing it up.  The other alternative is of course to post the ASIN link, but I only want to do that for recordings I feel comfortable suggesting to others...

In the first place, I don't know why you wouldn't simply use the asin code.

If you are adamant about posting the image itself, your browser will not make an image address available to you if the image in the main page is availing itself of the dynamic-zooming feature, where a zoomed in images appears as you move the cursor on the image.  In that case, you can click the image, bringing up a separate window, showing the cover image as part of a slide show in its own sub-window.  Then you can right-click and get the image address, for instance:

Obviously that is bigger than necessary and it can be resized using a width tag as usual.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:47:55 PM by Scarpia »

kishnevi

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
In the first place, I don't know why you wouldn't simply use the asin code.

You apparently didn't notice this sentence in my post:
The other alternative is of course to post the ASIN link, but I only want to do that for recordings I feel comfortable suggesting to others.

In dealing with Amazon images, I try to confine ASIN usage to items I think people might want to buy.  If I have not heard the recording, or don't think it's worth getting (as with the Pollini CD I used as an example),  I prefer to use the unlinked image.  My private system, of course, but I like to be consistent in how I apply it.

But thank you for the instructions on how to deal with the zoomable image feature;  it's probably easier than my first attempt at a workaround.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:03:17 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

Parsifal

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
You apparently didn't notice this sentence in my post:
In dealing with Amazon images, I try to confine ASIN usage to items I think people might want to buy.  If I have not heard the recording, or don't think it's worth getting (as with the Pollini CD I used as an example),  I prefer to use the unlinked image.  My private system, of course, but I like to be consistent in how I apply it.

But thank you for the instructions on how to deal with the zoomable image feature;  it's probably easier than my first attempt at a workaround.

I don't regard an asin code as an implicit recommendation.  It simply makes it easy to find the recording and get associated information, to satisfy curiosity, if not to buy.

kishnevi

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »
I don't regard an asin code as an implicit recommendation.  It simply makes it easy to find the recording and get associated information, to satisfy curiosity, if not to buy.

Exactly why I do it that way:  I'm trying to make it easy for people to get it, and if possible generate some revenue to GMG in the process.  No image = If you want info on it, you're on your own (or least ask me on the thread or by PM).