Author Topic: Pehr Henrik Nordgren 1944-2008  (Read 6737 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Pehr Henrik Nordgren 1944-2008
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »
Actually the CD has symphonies 3 and 5 on rather than 4 and 5. The conductor is Sakari Oramo who coincidentally I saw conduct Mahler's Third Symphony in London last night. I have ever seen him before. I had forgotten that I had started this thread, albeit confusing Nordgren with a different composer  ::).
My impressions of the music, which I enjoyed, if that is the right word are very much the same as in my initial post in this thread. It is very dark and sombre but my attention was held throughout. The 3rd Symphony has two movements for piano only and quite a 'jazzy' movement entitled 'defiance'. The music is resolutely bleak but not unapproachable. It reminded me a bit of Norgard and Petterrson. Mahler and Sibelius tend to be seen as polar opposites in their approach to the symphony but at timed Nordgren reminded me of both although his music does not sound like either. There is, I believe, a strong sense of nature in both scores. The Fifth symphony has a most haunting and moving passage after about 18 minutes which I found moving. So, the music has both an intellectual and emotional appeal as far as I am concerned.

You had me at bleak!
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2015, 11:23:38 PM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »
s these mysterious, close harmonies,... very inward,... thinking... icy,... dark green...

yea,... Nordgren... most of your Usual Suspects should find him captivating... MI??
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2016, 08:09:20 PM »
I have been listening to the available string quartets: 4, 5, 10, 11

I find them very good (5 has two movements, with the first an Epilogue, beat that!)

I hope Ondine plans to record 1-3, 6-9

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2016, 12:56:55 AM »
Actually I sent a message to Ondine and they told me that Alba is thinking of recording the remaining ones.

Whoo-hoo.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK