Cool Coffee Machines - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)  (Read 27101 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2015, 12:49:34 AM »
In response to the outbreak of Myaskovskism on the Havergal Brain thread I dug out some downloads from my unsightly MP3 pile and listened to the Symphony 27 and the SQ 13.

I wasn't expecting what I heard... which was music that sounded like late Dvorak, almost devoid of chromaticism, seeming to have completely ignored the C20. I mean, I quite liked it, and I can understand why Myaskovsky would have ignored the C20, which was a little bit disastrous for Russia, to say the least. But are these typical works, or are they nostalgic, valedictory pieces looking back to his youth?

What's the rowdiest symphony he wrote?

I like the nostalgic valedictory tone  ::). Try No 6 which is an epic work, once described as like an Eisenstein Film. It is considered the greatest by many. The trio of the scherzo is one of my all time greatest moments in music and the choral apotheosis is terribly moving. Don't get the Svetlanov as he dispenses with the chorus - a pity as otherwise this is a fine performance. The funeral march in No 16 is very fine and memorable.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2015, 06:12:58 AM »
What's the rowdiest symphony he wrote?

No doubt (in my mind at least) the Sixth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._6_%28Myaskovsky%29
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #282 on: March 15, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
The sixth it is.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »
The sixth it is.

Let us know what you think of it.

I'd recommend the Ural Philharmonic under Dmitri Liss. It is a fine performance plus you get the more modernistic Symphony 10 thrown in which might appeal to you:

Also, you can pick it up inexpensively on Amazon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK