Author Topic: Foulds's Fields  (Read 2542 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: Foulds's Fields
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 03:31:35 AM »
Glad I could renew your interest in Foulds' music. :) Run, don't walk, to go purchase those two Warner discs! Some truly thrilling music your ears await!
Fortunately,thanks to technology,all this couch potato had to do was reach forward and click on the 'purchase' button! :)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:45 AM »
I like the rather sinister Beni Mora and I will have a listen the Fould's piece again later,vandermolen. This time more attentively! I bought the two cd Warner set and the Lyrita cd of the Mantras (etc) recently. I need to listen to them again. I had such a pile to get through,at the time.
Going back to Beni Mora,briefly. I do like Holst's own recording. Okay,the technology is primitive;but it is a wonderfully atmospheric performance. In a way,the primitive sound seems,at least to my ears,to actually add to the sinister undertow of this work. If only he could have been allowed/persuaded to record more I even like his 'electric' recording of The Planets!!!! :( I may be alone in this view;but the cramped acoustic adds a feeling of menace to the proceedings,which I rather like.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 04:37:37 AM »
I like the rather sinister Beni Mora and I will have a listen the Fould's piece again later,vandermolen. This time more attentively! I bought the two cd Warner set and the Lyrita cd of the Mantras (etc) recently. I need to listen to them again. I had such a pile to get through,at the time.
Going back to Beni Mora,briefly. I do like Holst's own recording. Okay,the technology is primitive;but it is a wonderfully atmospheric performance. In a way,the primitive sound seems,at least to my ears,to actually add to the sinister undertow of this work. If only he could have been allowed/persuaded to record more I even like his 'electric' recording of The Planets!!!! :( I may be alone in this view;but the cramped acoustic adds a feeling of menace to the proceedings,which I rather like.

Interesting. I like the Sargent CFP recording very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK