Author Topic: Favorite Ballets  (Read 14964 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Miraculous Mandarin chasing the tramps
Re: Favorite Ballets
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
Of course, I also must mention Pierne's Cydalise et le Chčvre-pied. What a stunning ballet.
"Competitions are for horses, not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Sean

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
The dance sequence in Adams's Nixon in China with its incredible orange juice...

Mirror, I still haven't been able to access a recording of the Pierne work...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 07:05:48 AM »

Mirror, I still haven't been able to access a recording of the Pierne work...

Here's a link for you:

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
Of course, I also must mention Pierne's Cydalise et le Chčvre-pied. What a stunning ballet.

Fulltime seconded, one of my discoveries of recent years.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
Fulltime seconded, one of my discoveries of recent years.

Brian actually turned me onto this ballet. So many thanks must go to Brian for this one! This led me to buying several other Pierne recordings.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »
Brian actually turned me onto this ballet. So many thanks must go to Brian for this one! This led me to buying several other Pierne recordings.

By far the best other Pierne recording I know, is the one with Jean Martinon conducting a superb reading of the Divertissements sur un theme pastoral, his masterpiece IMHO. ["fulltime" appears to be an overseen autocorrection by my Dutch-language iPad BTW  ???]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:43:53 AM by Christo »
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
I'll have to check that out, Christo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Two other ballets I love are Ginastera's Estancia and Panambi. I know they're a bit derivative of Le sacre du printemps, but I don't care. They're magnificent works.

Sean

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
Thanks, actually I do have access to that on Naxos. It's a bit annoying the way it's broken in to 24 tracks to click on but I'll persevere with it over the next week or two.

Here's a link for you:

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46:18 PM »
Thanks, actually I do have access to that on Naxos. It's a bit annoying the way it's broken in to 24 tracks to click on but I'll persevere with it over the next week or two.

You can't select all the tracks and let them play continuously?

Sean

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
I don't think so. They'd rather you bought their CDs...

The work sounds a little like Ravel's Daphis or the exquisite Poulenc Barber the elephant, or Respighi-Rossini's Boutique fantasque.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »
I don't think so. They'd rather you bought their CDs...

The work sounds a little like Ravel's Daphis or the exquisite Poulenc Barber the elephant, or Respighi-Rossini's Boutique fantasque.

If you're listening to this recording from Naxos Music Library, which I trust that you are, then there should be a little box next to the main title where you can select from the tracklist. All you have to do is hover your mouse, or finger if you're on a hand-held tablet device, and check that little box which will select all of the tracks for you and then click on 'Play Selection.'

Offline Wendell_E

mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:16 AM »
Two other ballets I love are Ginastera's Estancia and Panambi. I know they're a bit derivative of Le sacre du printemps, but I don't care. They're magnificent works.

Seconded.  Our symphony orchestra played Estancia a couple of seasons ago, prompting me to by a recording, which also includes Panambi.  I've played it a lot.
"Twinkle, twinkle, little Czar, Putin put you where you are." — George Takei

Sean

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 05:31:29 AM »
Hi Mirror, no I just have a subscription with Naxos.com the regular service. I know the full Library is much larger but I've had enough to get on with from other sources for the last couple of years. I guess you recommend it though. Perhaps I should make the change soon.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
Seconded.  Our symphony orchestra played Estancia a couple of seasons ago, prompting me to by a recording, which also includes Panambi.  I've played it a lot.

Yep, that's a nice recording. Giselle Ben-Dor is an excellent conductor. She really knows Latin American music well. This Naxos recording was actually a reissue on an older recording on the Conifer label.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 08:04:32 AM »
Hi Mirror, no I just have a subscription with Naxos.com the regular service. I know the full Library is much larger but I've had enough to get on with from other sources for the last couple of years. I guess you recommend it though. Perhaps I should make the change soon.

Ah, okay. Cool, Sean.

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »
For me, I am going to make December 'Ballet Month', one of my favourite forms of Classical Music.

It is the time of the year that I am most eager to listen to ballet music, and not just because of the great Nutcracker!

Great, wonderful memories of attending Royal Winnipeg Ballet concerts in December.

So, anyone else who wishes to join me (perhaps Neal?)  :)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
For me, I am going to make December 'Ballet Month', one of my favourite forms of Classical Music.

It is the time of the year that I am most eager to listen to ballet music, and not just because of the great Nutcracker!

Great, wonderful memories of attending Royal Winnipeg Ballet concerts in December.

Every month is ballet month for me! I listen to them all the time, though I don't always post about them. This morning was the first act of sleeping beauty...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
Every month is ballet month for me! I listen to them all the time, though I don't always post about them. This morning was the first act of sleeping beauty...

Well, it is true for me too.  :D  Never a time I don't enjoy listening to great ballet music. 

Sleeping Beauty will definitely be on the menu!  :)

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
  • Die Musik ist die Sprache der Leidenschaft.
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »

Sounds great, I'm in. :) That could be the perfect chance to peacefully listen to Previn's Tchaikovsky Ballets I bought some time ago......
"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

kyjo

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »

Count me in! I love so many ballets, especially those of an impressionistic bent (Daphnis, Firebird, etc).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK