Author Topic: Missing Members  (Read 51530 times)

Offline EigenUser

• Veteran member
  • How many things can Gyorgy balance on his head?
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bartok, Ligeti, Ravel, Gershwin, Debussy JEUX! :P, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Feldman, Messiaen, Haydn, Ockeghem, Adès, Mahler, Ohana, Webern, Boulez
Re: Missing Members
« Reply #880 on: December 04, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »
Baklavaboy.

I see his avatar in use but I got a pm

Ken, I am being held hostage. Send honey, walnuts, and philo pastry.
He's been talking about dieting recently, so I figured that he just changed his name to something else.
"...it makes you not more happy having a big metal, or a big prize, or an honorary doctorate, or this kind of thing. It's much more beautiful listening to Ansermet conducting Debussy's 'La Mer'!"
-Gyorgy Ligeti

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    the steadily growing landscape of Piles!
« Reply #881 on: December 05, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
Hmm, whatever happened to Octave? I haven't seen him post for a long time...    :(

Midvinternattens köld är hård,
stjärnorna gnistra och glimma.
Alla sova i enslig gård
djupt under midnattstimma.
Månen vandrar sin tysta ban,
snön lyser vit på fur och gran,
snön lyser vit på taken.
Endast tomten är vaken.
[by Viktor Rydberg]

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #882 on: December 05, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
Yes, one fears a permanent condition: some people have a debilitating tinnitus for years and years: very depressing!   My hearing in the left ear was considerably weakened by the volume of the tinnitus (pronounced tin'-ni-toos in Latin, incorrectly pronounced ti-NITE-iss by our unenlightened types).  I recall being in the hallway and not understanding much of anything spoken loudly by several people.

I've had it since December 1998. It's high-pitched and hissy, and is exacerbated by eating white food. Nothing turns up the volume like eating rice. Pasta and anything made with flour and sugar are almost as bad, but seem like less obvious triggers the longer I have tinnitus. I usually pronounce it with the unenlightened emphasis on the second syllable. Saying it the Latin way sounds prissy, and I try to avoid sibilants when I can.

I miss hearing things people are saying. I keep closed captioning going on my TV at all times. I have a friend who mutters, perhaps passive-aggressively, and I wish I could turn his CC on.

As far as music goes, I'm much happier when the speakers are close to my head now instead of the typical speakers-across-the-room positioning. I've bought a couple of wireless speaker sets from Bowers & Wilkins, and they have made such a difference. I don't know whether I just like listening to audio files (not MP3s) more than CDs, or if it's just that the music has never been this close to my head before (other than on headphones, which will never be more than a compromise for me), but I have not enjoyed listening to music this much in many years.

I hope your TIN-nih-tuus is not making you crazy, Cato.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:44:30 PM by Jay F »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK