Author Topic: Claudio Monteverdi  (Read 33440 times)

Online Biffo

Re: Claudio Monteverdi
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2018, 03:15:22 AM »
I listened to some madrigals from Bk 4 by Alessandrini and by Venexiana - my feeling is that Venexiana are more dramatic/operatic.

That is something I will bear in mind when I get the complete edition. It may be that their different strengths will be apparent over the whole set. I was comparing Book III (Ven.) with Book V (CV) and came to the opposite conclusion - I thought that Venexiana were possibly concentrating a little too much on beauty of sound rather than drama but that might be inherent in the Book III madigals. In any case, both sound fine ensembles.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
I just ordered the recent compilation/repackaging of the Monteverdi recordings performed by Ensemble Elyma and Gabriel Garrido.
For some reason Garrido's recordings have eluded me in the past so I'm very much look forward to exploring these performances. The individual releases seem hard to come by and/or are quite expensive at this point in time.  I noted that many members spoke highly of Garrido's Monteverdi previously in the thread.  :)    This thread (seemingly) had a Monteverdi listening frenzy back in 2013! It would be fun to rekindle the Monteverdian fire?

L'Orfeo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7JyDVotbAJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7JyDVotbAJQ</a>
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:12:08 PM by Moonfish »
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Online Biffo

« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2018, 11:32:51 PM »
I just ordered the recent compilation/repackaging of the Monteverdi recordings performed by Ensemble Elyma and Gabriel Garrido.
For some reason Garrido's recordings have eluded me in the past so I'm very much look forward to exploring these performances. The individual releases seem hard to come by and/or are quite expensive at this point in time.  I noted that many members spoke highly of Garrido's Monteverdi previously in the thread.  :)    This thread (seemingly) had a Monteverdi listening frenzy back in 2013! It would be fun to rekindle the Monteverdian fire?

L'Orfeo

I also bought the Garrido set after it showed up in this forum. So far I have only listened to the Vespers; enjoyable but not a top choice. For various reasons I haven't made any progress with the rest of the set though I have Orfeo lined up for listening soon.

It is annoying, though typical these days, that the set has no texts. For me it is not a problem with the Vespers, Orfeo or Poppea but a nuisance for Ulisse and the madrigals. The selection of madrigals is from a number of composers not as well-known as Monteverdi and I will probably have some difficulty finding texts and translations for the lesser known works.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7JyDVotbAJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7JyDVotbAJQ</a>

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »
Anyone heard this performance yet? I'm a huge fan of Dunedin/Butt's version of Bach's B-minor Mass and am very interested in this one. There is already such a great showing of Vespers on record so this would have to offer something quite new sounding to peak my interest, but if it's anything similar to their B-Minor Mass performance then I'm all in.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.