Author Topic: The artist's artist. Five leading composers choose their favorite peer  (Read 857 times)

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:55:55 AM by petrarch »
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Because I am not smart enough to find a more general thread with the search engine, I am responding here but want to widen the topic to any composers at any time.

What were great composer's favorite composers (and maybe also bêtes noires although for musical invectives there is probably another topic already)?
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
For Brahms, Beethoven (of course) and later on, Bach.

Berlioz and Mendelssohn were great fans of Gluck.

Hindemith and Sibelius both found rich inspiration in Haydn.

Stravinsky's highest praise, perhaps, went to Tchaikovsky.  Of course, he called Pierrot lunaire "the solar plexus of 20th-c. music," before there came to be a Schoenberg-VS.-Stravinsky polarization.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Charles Ives (1874 - 1954)
    The sound of rag-time dances in a New England town square
Stravinsky's highest praise, perhaps, went to Tchaikovsky.  Of course, he called Pierrot lunaire "the solar plexus of 20th-c. music," before there came to be a Schoenberg-VS.-Stravinsky polarization.

Stravinsky did, indeed, praise Schoenberg’s Pierrot Lunaire, but he was quite critical of the vocal writing.
"There is a great Man living in this Country – a composer. He has solved the problem how to preserve one's self-esteem and to learn. He responds to negligence by contempt. He is not forced to accept praise or blame. His name is Ives.” - Schoenberg on Ives

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
JS Bach: probably Buxtehude or Böhm but he had a wide range in his library, including Handel, was a friend of Telemann (who was godfather of Philipp Emanuel) and he even arranged Pergolesi
Haydn: CPE Bach, Mozart and maybe Handel
Mozart: JS Bach and Handel
Beethoven: Mozart, Handel, Bach
Schubert: Beethoven, probably also Mozart
Berlioz: Gluck, Cherubini, Beethoven
Mendelssohn: Bach
Chopin: Bellini, Hummel
Schumann: probably Schubert and Chopin
Liszt: probably Beethoven and Schubert
Wagner: Wagner
Brahms: Bach, Schubert, Beethoven, he also spoke well of Dvorak
Bruckner: Wagner
Dvorak: Schubert
Tchaikovsky: Mozart, Delibes

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Schumann had a periodic Beethoven obsession which manifested as either criticism or despondent praise, depending on how he was feeling. That said, the composers he venerated above all others were Schubert and Mendelssohn. Also, early in life he was a great fan of Hummel, but this obsession faded after Hummel refused to take him on as a student.

Offline aesthetic

Tchaikovsky: Mozart

Yep. :)

[...] Mozart I love as a musical Christ. Besides, he lived almost like Christ did. I think there is nothing sacrilegious in such a comparison. Mozart was a being so angelical and child-like in his purity, his music is so full of unattainably divine beauty, that if there is someone whom one can mention with the same breath as Christ, then it is he. […] It is my profound conviction that Mozart is the highest, the culminating point which beauty has reached in the sphere of music. Nobody has made me cry and thrill with joy, sensing my proximity to something that we call the ideal, in the way that he has [...] - Tchaikovsky

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Grieg also: Mozart

In Bach, Beethoven and Wagner we admire principally the depth and energy of the human mind; in Mozart, the divine instinct.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants

Wagner: Wagner

Now, this is the first that comes to mind  :D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind

In 1841, while living in Paris, Wagner penned the following remarkable and fervent artistic Credo:

"I believe in God, Mozart and Beethoven, and also in their disciples and apostles.
I believe in the Holy Ghost and in the truth of the invisible Art."
Igitur primo pecuniae, deinde imperi cupido crevit.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: The artist's artist. Five leading composers choose their favorite peer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
In 1841, while living in Paris, Wagner penned the following remarkable and fervent artistic Credo:

"I believe in God, Mozart and Beethoven, and also in their disciples and apostles.
I believe in the Holy Ghost and in the truth of the invisible Art."

Self-serving smugness.  ;D
Delight and liberty, the simple creed of childhood. - William Wordsworth

Offline nathanb

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »
I wouldn't call any of these "leading composers" in any sense of the word, though I see Turnage as having some understandable value amongst the Brits. We'll say 1 for 5. As for the folks they're talking about, I'm right there with them. 5 for 5. :)

Offline musicrom

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
I read a while ago somewhere that Magnus Lindberg's favorite piece of the last 50 years was Henri Dutilleux’s cello concerto, Tout un monde lointain.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Charles Ives (1874 - 1954)
    The sound of rag-time dances in a New England town square
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
Ravel always spoke highly of Debussy throughout his compositional life even when they had a falling out with each other.
"There is a great Man living in this Country – a composer. He has solved the problem how to preserve one's self-esteem and to learn. He responds to negligence by contempt. He is not forced to accept praise or blame. His name is Ives.” - Schoenberg on Ives

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
I wouldn't call any of these "leading composers" in any sense of the word, though I see Turnage as having some understandable value amongst the Brits. We'll say 1 for 5. As for the folks they're talking about, I'm right there with them. 5 for 5. :)

I imagine if a similar article had been done interviewing 'leading American Composers,' their responses would not have been a list of nearly naught but other American composers.

I'm afraid the 'older nations' tend to be much more jingoist in their tastes, or loyalties.  Us yanks have such a brief history, including an even briefer significant classical music history, the tendency is to look further, all around, and not think so readily and first of home boys only.  (Not that there is anything exactly wrong about tooting one's own horn or promoting one's own culture, but, just sayin)'
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
Brahms: Bach, Schubert, Beethoven, he also spoke well of Dvorak
Among his peers in time, Brahms' favorites, as far as I recall, included Dvorak and Johann Strauss Jr.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    Probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
Chopin: Mozart

But closer together, Rachmaninoff: Medtner (and vice-versa).
"I've grown used to this country and I love it. But there's one thing it doesn't have - quiet". Rachmaninoff musing on his hectic schedule in the USA.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
Chopin: Mozart
  Chopin: Mozart & J.S. Bach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bartok:  early works show big influence from R. Strauss (and via Strauss, Wagner ~ the opening of The Wooden Prince.)

Beethoven.  Bartok, as pianist, was a well admired and renown interpreter of Beethoven.  The Luigi influence, as model, is plain in the string quartets and the 2nd piano concerto, middle movement.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Mahler: Beethoven, Wagner, Mozart, Bach (roughly in that order); of his immediate peers he admired Strauss and Debussy most, but had reservations about both.

Schoenberg: Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner, Mahler; he also professed guarded admiration for Debussy, Reger, and Stravinsky (sometimes)

Takemitsu: Debussy, Messiaen, Cage

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
Xenakis: Stravinsky, Varese and Messiaen (with sprinklings of Bach and Webern)  8)
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK