Author Topic: On-line Stores & Sellers  (Read 248800 times)

kishnevi

Re: On-line Stores & Sellers
« Reply #660 on: May 09, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
I ordered from them a couple of times, because they seem to offer the cheapest price on many items.  My problem is not the transit time per se, but the time they seem to take to ship the item--several days, it seemed, almost a week in one case.  So no more zoverstocks.  And don't forget, the "shipment date" is the date they tell Amazon they shipped it, and putting it in the mailbox on Saturday afternoon counts as shipping it, even if the mailman doesn't pick it up until Monday afternoon--and they may have told Amazon they shipped it on Friday afternoon....

Others who seem to either be slow to ship or to use inflatable dinghies are MovieMars and marvelio, which can take up to a week longer than other Marketplace vendors to get to me.

Offline KeithW

• Currently Listening to:
    Wide interest from pre-Baroque to Romantic and beyond
« Reply #661 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
No such luck over here. On the whole, the postal service inflatable dinghies keep to the inside lane on motorways, but they keep getting gridlocked with snails, slugs, and the slower-moving caterpillars. It can't be easy for them.

Maybe you can argue for a dedicated Olympic lane for the dinghies.  I was in London last week, and a taxi driver was giving me his unbiased opinion on what they'll do for traffic flow.

eyeresist

« Reply #662 on: May 09, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »
I think that explains it Karl. On land, those inflatable dinghies move ever so slowly.

Might be easier to deflate the dinghy and attach it to the leg of a passing crane or other waterbird?

Elgarian

« Reply #663 on: May 09, 2012, 09:58:50 PM »
Might be easier to deflate the dinghy ...

Which reminds me of the story about the Inflateable Headmaster of the Inflateable School who was telling off the naughty Inflateable Boy: 'You've let me down; you've let the school down; and you've let yourself down!'
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:00:26 PM by Elgarian »

Offline KeithW

« Reply #664 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:25 AM »
Which reminds me of the story about the Inflateable Headmaster of the Inflateable School who was telling off the naughty Inflateable Boy: 'You've let me down; you've let the school down; and you've let yourself down!'

No reaction from anyone?  I guess it fell flat.  :D

I suspect this correspondence should now cease.

Elgarian

« Reply #665 on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:53 AM »
Would you believe it? One of the dinghies from zoverstocks has arrived this morning. Quite how they arrived at the decision that the condition of this CD is 'very good' remains a mystery, but it did at least arrive. So there's hope for the other one yet.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #666 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:48 AM »
Dinghy ahoy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

eyeresist

« Reply #667 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »

"Very good" = has not actually disintegrated into dust (just yet).

kishnevi

« Reply #668 on: May 10, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
I mentioned I have ordered from Marvelio, and found their shipping less than satisfactory.  To illustrate--they shipped an item (Handel-Caldera Carmelite Vespers on DHM--Erato has posted it on the Purchases and Listening threads) on May 1.  I'm pretty sure they are located in the US, where I live.  Prestoclassical sent me an order in multiple packages, the last one being sent on May 3.  It arrived today--just a week to cross the Atlantic, rather swiftly in fact--while the Marvelio item still is in transit (and of course no way to track it!).

eyeresist

« Reply #669 on: May 10, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
I should commend Amazon UK, that their recent deliveries were NOT packaged so as to fall apart during transit, as happened several times earlier this year.

Offline KeithW

« Reply #670 on: May 10, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
I had a bizarre packaging situation with amazon.com today.  I had ordered the latest in the Naive Vivaldi series which was released this week.  A single CD arrived in a packing box roughly 12" x 6" x 4" in size, surrounded by lots of good packing paper.  Well protected, but overkill.

eyeresist

« Reply #671 on: May 10, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
I had a bizarre packaging situation with amazon.com today.  I had ordered the latest in the Naive Vivaldi series which was released this week.  A single CD arrived in a packing box roughly 12" x 6" x 4" in size, surrounded by lots of good packing paper.  Well protected, but overkill.

It probably gave the packers a laugh :)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #672 on: May 11, 2012, 03:02:41 AM »
I mentioned I have ordered from Marvelio, and found their shipping less than satisfactory.

Hm, a shame!  I've ordered two items from them in the past six months (both Haydn, curiously) . . . I hadn't observed any especial delay.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #673 on: May 11, 2012, 03:20:10 AM »

Amazon have started a campaign for more sane packaging; I used to get parcels from them that were like that, on a regular basis. Since they only allow feedback of their service to be on packaging, I used to give them the lowest possible marks, with a few well-chosen arrows on the side. However, they have improved greatly in the last 6-12 months, so I can't complain so much. :)

I should commend Amazon UK, that their recent deliveries were NOT packaged so as to fall apart during transit, as happened several times earlier this year.

Never had that happen, but the traditional box with a CD in it that one could then use to store the spare motor for one's motorcycle seems to be gone.  ::)

8)

PS - that Supraphon Dvorak box arrived yesterday in a large padded envelope. I believe that is an Amazon first!! :)

Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #674 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »
PS - that Supraphon Dvorak box arrived yesterday in a large padded envelope. I believe that is an Amazon first!! :)

Huzzah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #675 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:35 AM »
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Elgarian

« Reply #676 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
PS - that Supraphon Dvorak box arrived yesterday

A matter for jubilation indeed. The latest news on mine is that the Official Amazon Postal Dinghy is being carried roughly north-eastward in leisurely fashion by the gulf stream, with estimated delivery date sometime in 2015. I expect it will be all the sweeter for it.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #677 on: May 11, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
It will have that Sargasso tang, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

« Reply #678 on: May 11, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
A matter for jubilation indeed. The latest news on mine is that the Official Amazon Postal Dinghy is being carried roughly north-eastward in leisurely fashion by the gulf stream, with estimated delivery date sometime in 2015. I expect it will be all the sweeter for it.

If it's any consolation,  I've found that AmazonUK and MDT dinghies can take up to three weeks to get to me here in Florida from the day I get the "it's been shipped!" email.  Presto, possibly living up to its name, is usually one to two weeks.  I assume they put paddles into their dinghies.

Meanwhile, my Marvelio dinghy has yet to appear. 

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #679 on: May 11, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »
On Amazon UK Marketplace there's a seller called zoverstocks. I ordered a CD from them back in January that never arrived. I waited till the last of the delivery estimate dates before notifying them, and fair enough, they refunded my money, observing that it must have got lost in the post. Well, I thought, these things happen - I suppose.

In April I gave them another shot and placed two orders a couple of days apart. As before, they apparently shipped promptly. But here I am, on 9th May, still waiting. It's possible they may turn up in the next few days before the latest delivery estimate is exceeded; but it all seems very odd, and I'm already anticipating two more 'lost in the post' explanations - despite the fact that in the last ten years no package addressed to me has ever been knowingly lost (zoverstocks excepted). But why should items posted here in the UK, even at 2nd class, take so long to reach a UK address?

Does anyone have any experience of this seller? Curiously, there's very little negative feedback on their profile.

There is a twofer issued by BC that is only available from an Amazon UK MP vendor at a reasonable price, I may venture into your territory soon.  I have so far avoided any Amazon MP vendors that are not US based.