Author Topic: On-line Stores & Sellers  (Read 279018 times)

Elgarian

Re: On-line Stores & Sellers
« Reply #680 on: May 12, 2012, 08:02:38 AM »
I would like to apologise for repeatedly mis-spelling the word 'inflatable', not merely in this thread, but in others. I wondered about silently correcting all the mis-spellings, but then, as I stood in my hair-shirt, all repentant 'n stuff, I thought I would let them stand, as an example to all of the depths of human folly.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #681 on: May 12, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
I thought you meant inflatusable.

Elgarian

« Reply #682 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:28 AM »
I thought you meant inflatusable.

No. I was also not meaning 'inflatulent'.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #683 on: May 12, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »
Glad to have that cleared up!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #684 on: May 12, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
No. I was also not meaning 'inflatulent'.

The lost Langgaard symphony? …
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

eyeresist

« Reply #685 on: May 13, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
The lost Langgaard symphony? …

No, Nielsen - with solo for timpani and whoopee cushion.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #686 on: May 15, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »

I doubt whether it deserves such a high position like that. I mean, surely a Boppy Cottony Cute Slipcover is infinitely more relaxing that a plastic CD case!

P.S.: I have already sent them my feedback regarding this listing. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #687 on: May 15, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
. . . surely a Boppy Cottony Cute Slipcover is infinitely more relaxing that a plastic CD case!

and it is the perfect accessory for listening to Nielsen's Imaginary Journey to the Whooppie Cushion . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

« Reply #688 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »
Since I mentioned it on this thread--
the Marvelio dinghy, which was supposedly shipped on May 1,  actually arrived today.  May 15.  Two weeks to get from Pennsylvania to Florida.    Took as long as most orders from England that have to clear customs and the Atlantic Ocean to get to me.   Will not be using this guy again. (This is the second time it's happened with this vendor, although the first time was not quite so bad.)

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #689 on: May 15, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
Since I mentioned it on this thread--
the Marvelio dinghy, which was supposedly shipped on May 1,  actually arrived today.  May 15.  Two weeks to get from Pennsylvania to Florida.    Took as long as most orders from England that have to clear customs and the Atlantic Ocean to get to me.   Will not be using this guy again. (This is the second time it's happened with this vendor, although the first time was not quite so bad.)

I know that Marvelio say they are located in PA, but (I have used them twice with precisely the same results as yours) I think they are actually in Germany and when you order they ship to PA and then transship to you. I can't remember now what the tipoff was to that, but something in my first order spelled it out. I will say, however, that one of my favorite AMP vendors is 'Medimops', which used to make no bones about being located in Germany (they even used to send me a thank you letter all in German, thank Google). Then they slightly changed their name and now say they ship from New Jersey, but it takes the extra week plus I still get the Dankeschön letter. :D I don't care, every disk I have gotten from them has been reasonably priced, well packed, and in better condition than most used CD's that I buy. I don't worry unless time is of the essence. :)

8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:01:14 PM by Gurnatron5500 »
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

kishnevi

« Reply #690 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »
I know that Marvelio say they are located in PA, but (I have used them twice with precisely the same results as yours) I think they are actually in Germany and when you order they ship to PA and then transship to you. I can't remember now what the tipoff was to that, but something in my first order spelled it out. I will say, however, that one of my favorite AMP vendors is 'Medimops', which used to make no bones about being located in Germany (they even used to send me a thank you letter all in German, thank Google). Then they slightly changed their name and now say they ship from New Jersey, but it takes the extra week plus I still get the Dankeschön letter. :D I don't care, every disk I have gotten from them has been reasonably priced, well packed, and in better condition than most used CD's that I buy. I don't worry unless time is of the essence. :)

8)

Grumble, grumble--
Well, they should say they're in Germany, and I wouldn't have gotten upset.
Although I probably wouldn't have ordered from them, because I picked them on the grounds they were the least expensive on that item among US based vendors, and figured the extra half a dollar or dollar or whatever it is was worth not having to wait the extra time for an order to come in from Europe. 

I was in fact beginning to wonder if they actually shipped on the day they claimed, or if had gotten lost in the mail.

I suppose I should go back to Zoverstocks.  They may be slow and across the pond, but at least they're honest about being slow and across the pond.. 

(And Medimops is a vendor I've had a bad experience with--a used CD rated "very good" quality that turned out to be missing the slipcase and having a long scratch.  Hopefully, that was a rare occurence--but that's one reason I don't buy used CDs online if I can help it.  I want to inspect the goods first, if it's used.)

kishnevi

« Reply #691 on: May 15, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
I suppose I should add (if it already isn't clear) that I don't like deferred gratification.  My mother always tried to pull that trick on me when I was a kid, and it never worked.  I want my _________________ NOW!

Elgarian

« Reply #692 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
I suppose I should go back to Zoverstocks.  They may be slow and across the pond, but at least they're honest about being slow and across the pond.. 

Update on my Zoverstocks experiences:

1. My purchase from them in January never arrived. (Refunded)
2. One of my two orders in April arrived, but took two weeks (this within the uk) and, despite being described as 'very good', was a mess.
3. My third order has now exceeded its latest delivery date and I've contacted them seeking action about it.

Maybe they use punctured dinghies?

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #693 on: May 15, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »
I suppose I should add (if it already isn't clear) that I don't like deferred gratification.  My mother always tried to pull that trick on me when I was a kid, and it never worked.  I want my _________________ NOW!
When I get several packages at once, I will sometimes leave some of them unopened for a few days to spread the enjoyment around.  As long as the cds find their way to me, I don't care how long they take to get to me (unless they are a present). I think I am not exactly the norm.... :o ;)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #694 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:31 PM »
When I get several packages at once, I will sometimes leave some of them unopened for a few days to spread the enjoyment around.  As long as the cds find their way to me, I don't care how long they take to get to me (unless they are a present). I think I am not exactly the norm.... :o ;)
You're not alone. I couldn't care less about delivery times, Ich habe genug.

eyeresist

« Reply #695 on: May 16, 2012, 01:14:50 AM »

Perhaps if you filled in the blank you'd get it sooner?

;)

Elgarian

« Reply #696 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »
More about Zoverstocks:

On the credit side, as soon as I notified them of the CD's non-arrival they refunded my money. But still, inconvenience and a waste of time on two out of three orders, and a misleading quality description on the third, doesn't constitute a good record. Won't use 'em again.

Offline nico1616

« Reply #697 on: May 17, 2012, 05:04:37 AM »
More about Zoverstocks:

On the credit side, as soon as I notified them of the CD's non-arrival they refunded my money. But still, inconvenience and a waste of time on two out of three orders, and a misleading quality description on the third, doesn't constitute a good record. Won't use 'em again.

My experiences with zoverstocks are much better. In the last months I placed some 25 orders and they all arrived within 2 weeks. Only one was lost, but I got a refund. The description very good was mostly accurate. Their strongest asset is of course the price, so much to choose from in the £0.01-0.10 range :)
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

kishnevi

« Reply #698 on: May 17, 2012, 09:10:24 AM »
After complaining about one Amazon MP vendor, I thought I'd put in a "like" for two MP vendors who appear to be very new/small, going by the low number of ratings they've received:  hortie1 and safelightmedia.  They were two of the three vendors from whom I ordered recordings of Shostakovich 4 over the weekend.  Both were shipped Sunday night/Monday, and in my  mailbox, stoutly packaged in both cases, on Wednesday by lunchtime.  The third one, from blowitoutahere,  was shipped at the same time but has not yet landed, but I've ordered enough times from them that I'm not unduly concerned.  (Since I ordered "new" and not used,  condition was not really relevant.)

Regarding Zoverstocks,  while I've never ordered used CDs from them,  and not ordered from them that often (and not recently, either), no order has been lost in transit.  (In fact, the only two orders with which I've had problems have been AmazonUS itself, and Prestoclassical, and in the case of the latter, the problem turned out to be the local mail, and was no fault of Presto's.)  My only complaint with them has been they take up to a week to ship the item and then seem to ship it by slower delivery, so it can take up to two extra weeks to get to me across the Atlantic compared to other UK vendors.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:12:26 AM by Jeffrey Smith »

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #699 on: May 18, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
More about Zoverstocks:

I have not bought from any non-US based Amazon MP vendors to date.  I almost did from an Amazon UK vendor but then found out it did not ship to the US ...