Author Topic: On-line Stores & Sellers  (Read 252416 times)

Offline stingo

Re: On-line Stores & Sellers
« Reply #740 on: December 01, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
There are other alternatives.  The moment Amazon collects sale tax for CT, I will move all my business to MDT and Presto, both UK based e-tailers.  They will not collect sale tax for CT and I do not pay VAT either.  The shipping charge for Presto is quite reasonable and quoted in Dollar anyway ...

Yes, I've recently started buying at Presto and liked the deals I was getting. MDT is good too, but their shipping rates (especially on boxed sets) are higher than Presto. So Presto it has been.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #741 on: December 01, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Yes, I've recently started buying at Presto and liked the deals I was getting. MDT is good too, but their shipping rates (especially on boxed sets) are higher than Presto. So Presto it has been.

Presto has the best shipping rate for European e-tailers, though its on-sale labels at any given time may be more limited compared with MDT.  It is highly unlikely they will ever collect state sale tax regardless of what state you live in ...

kishnevi

« Reply #742 on: December 01, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
I've seen folks here at GMG ordering from Arkivmusic. I've always considered them too expensive to consider - should I rethink my position?

Yes.
They do charge sales tax, and their shipping rates are comparable to Prestoclassical, which is the other vendor I use a lot of.  Of course, with Presto, you need to watch out for foreign transaction fees, which some cards will charge even on dollar denominated transactions.  I recently got a Capital One care, which does not those kind of charges,  so I can avoid them. 

Arkivmusic is in general more expensive, but they may be worth using in select cases.
--New releases:  usually (but with enough exceptions that it's not a general rule) below Amazon/AmazonMP prices.
--Weekend specials:  about half the time,  better than AmazonMP prices
--Sales on specific labels:  sometimes cheaper, sometimes not.

And to be honest,  if a CD is $15 or under, I don't run around to check AmazonMP if it's one I've been thinking about.  I order it from Arkiv when it's on sale, in preference to letting it remain on my Amazon wishlist until the day after forever....

The final factor is that Arkiv is usually very prompt about shipping;  assuming it's in stock,  they seem to ship an order I place over the weekend on Monday, although sometimes a partial shipment doesn't get sent out until Tuesday.   This in contrast to some Amazon MP vendors, or Amazon itself, that seem to take three or four days to get it into the mail.

Among European retailers, I use Presto, for items they have on sale;  they also (in my experience) seem to have slightly lower prices on sale items than MDT does, and of course lower shipping charges.  JPC is also good, although I don't use them that often.

My suggestion is to subscribe to the weekly newsletter to keep up to date on what they have on sale, and also their new releases letter; and if you see an item you're interested in, check.  It may be worth ordering from them--or not.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #743 on: December 01, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »

One additional strong point for Presto and MDT is they both pack the CD's exceptionally well compared with the US etailers.  Only once in a blue moon do I receive a CD with busted jewel case.  I have given MDT a few thousand dollars worth of business over the past few years ...

kishnevi

« Reply #744 on: December 01, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »
One additional strong point for Presto and MDT is they both pack the CD's exceptionally well compared with the US etailers.  Only once in a blue moon do I receive a CD with busted jewel case.  I have given MDT a few thousand dollars worth of business over the past few years ...

JPC is another vendor that is very good on that point.

Offline stingo

« Reply #745 on: December 01, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
JPC is another vendor that is very good on that point.

Agreed - except shipping to the States has a significant flat charge, so it's incentive  put together large orders (some of which may night be fiscally feasible at the time).

Offline flyingdutchman

« Reply #746 on: December 12, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
I look forward to the day people realize that sales tax actually helps fund important programs and infrastructure in their state.

kishnevi

« Reply #747 on: December 12, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
I look forward to the day people realize that sales tax actually helps fund important programs and infrastructure in their state.

You obviously don't live in my state, which has a GOP governor and legislature dedicated to the idea that they should fund as few things with as little money as possible  as they can get away with.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #748 on: December 13, 2012, 04:31:40 AM »
Granted, I should not mind to pay the 6.25% sales tax to the Commonwealth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #749 on: December 13, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »

It also helps fund waste and inappropriate programs.

Offline flyingdutchman

« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
You know, I've lived 52 years, and in all that time, the amount of "waste" as you call it, only came into being during the late 70s to now, and in all that time our health system and infrastructure has disintegrated.  I would rather pay my taxes and have health care and decent roads and transportation systems than a belief that we as individuals shouldn't have to pay for something because we "don't use it."

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #751 on: December 20, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
Is anyone else from outside the UK seeing MDT's 'ex. VAT' field display the same number as the UK price?
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #752 on: December 20, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
Is anyone else from outside the UK seeing MDT's 'ex. VAT' field display the same number as the UK price?
I see different prices when I select a recording. When I look at the cart, it shows only one price.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #753 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
I see different prices when I select a recording. When I look at the cart, it shows only one price.

Thanks; just want to make sure where the problem lies before I shoot off an email. I've been noticing this for about a week or two. I'm logged in, my address is in place, yet the prices are the same in the CD page. And it's the same price that appears in the cart as well. (I even tried it in two different browsers.)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #754 on: December 20, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
Thanks; just want to make sure where the problem lies before I shoot off an email. I've been noticing this for about a week or two. I'm logged in, my address is in place, yet the prices are the same in the CD page. And it's the same price that appears in the cart as well. (I even tried it in two different browsers.)
Maybe try selecting a different currency?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #755 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
Maybe try selecting a different currency?

No difference.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #756 on: December 20, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
As it turns out, the page displays only the ex. VAT rate -- twice! -- when I'm logged in. When I log out, it's the UK rate and ex. VAT rate.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #757 on: December 20, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
You know, I've lived 52 years, and in all that time, the amount of "waste" as you call it, only came into being during the late 70s to now, and in all that time our health system and infrastructure has disintegrated.  I would rather pay my taxes and have health care and decent roads and transportation systems than a belief that we as individuals shouldn't have to pay for something because we "don't use it."

You appear to have a higher opinion of government than I possess.  So be it.  By the way, your "we don't use it" theme has nothing to do with my approval or disapproval of the myriad of government programs.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #758 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
Zoverstocks takes awhile to deliver, but they have always deklived my stuff and never had a problem other than the slowness. Great prices too.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #759 on: December 21, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »
I ordered this disc on December 4th from Zoverstocks

Supposedly it shipped on within two days of my order.  However, now the estimated delivery is Jan 2-15, 2013.  I complained to the seller and got this email:

The 30-minute window is meaningless since who would know that it would take a month for something to arrive within 30 minutes of ordering it?

I haven't ordered from those folks, but they have some nice bargains from time to time. The seller I resort to in Europe is Medimops/Media Pearl/Momox (all the same company) in Germany. They have similar delivery time issues, but I have always gotten my order, and most times the quality of the disks is way better than the rating it got from them. I always post in my feedback for them that if you aren't in any particular hurry, you can scarcely do better.  One thing I find amusing (in its own way) is that they advertise "Ships from New Jersey". What this means is that they ship from Germany to New Jersey (probably in bulk) and then re-ship from Jersey. Not really relevant, I just find it amusing. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106