Author Topic: Rudolf Escher (1912-1980)  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Sergei Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Bells tolling upon arrival at the Isle of the Dead
Re: Rudolf Escher (1912-1980)
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
The OP mentions Badings, Escher, and Vermeulen, but what about Pijper? I thought he was a major 20th Century Dutch composer?
"I feel like a ghost wandering in a world grown alien. I cannot cast out the old way of writing and I cannot acquire the new. I have made an intense effort to feel the musical manner of today, but it will not come to me.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline lescamil

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
The OP mentions Badings, Escher, and Vermeulen, but what about Pijper? I thought he was a major 20th Century Dutch composer?

Agreed. Does he have his own thread somewhere? Too lazy to go digging.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 06:09:47 AM »
Agreed. Does he have his own thread somewhere? Too lazy to go digging.

Pijper's Peck!
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline kyjo

• Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006)
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
Escher's Musique pour l'esprit en deuil for orchestra is a truly remarkable WWII-era piece that vividly reflects the spirit of the times. To my ears, it is a very individual work that doesn't really sound like much else that I've heard - perhaps Honegger is the closest point of comparison. The orchestration is constantly ear-catching. Do yourself a favor and check it out: https://youtu.be/-ALYCV3_JQc

His Sonata concertante for cello and piano is another striking, turmoil-filled work that reaches an ecstatic, hard-won conclusion: https://youtu.be/WU0enDCMESY

I'm really looking forward to exploring the rest of Escher's modest output. Based on what I've heard, he's a highly individual composer who deserves much wider attention.

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
Escher is a really great find. Grand, passionate music, and overall probably more interesting than Pijper, IMO.
Strange that he hasn´t been taken much up outside the Netherlands, as regards recordings. But there seems to be further recordings now, at least.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:06:10 AM by Turner »

Offline kyjo

• Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006)
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
Escher is a really great find. Grand, passionate music, and overall probably more interesting than Pijper, IMO.
Strange that he hasn´t been taken much up outside the Netherlands, as regards recordings. But there seems to be further recordings now, at least.

Hopefully the ever-enterprising CPO will eventually take up his cause as they have for his countrymen Röntgen, van Gilse, Hendrik Andriessen, and Badings :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Sergei Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943)
    The Bells tolling upon arrival at the Isle of the Dead
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 05:35:05 AM »

But can we actually say that a proper overall view of Pijper has been formed? His music is far from getting any kind of recognition as well. I’d add Vermeulen to that list along with Pijper and Escher.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:38:48 AM by Mirror Image »
"I feel like a ghost wandering in a world grown alien. I cannot cast out the old way of writing and I cannot acquire the new. I have made an intense effort to feel the musical manner of today, but it will not come to me.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK