Author Topic: ASIN function is back  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
ASIN function is back
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi all

As many of you are aware, the forum software had an update on Monday to version 2.0.1. It was a bare-bones upgrade, with some previous features missing.

I have now re-coded the ASIN function.

For those of you who are unaware of this feature, it allows one-click posting of CD covers (as well as any other item on Amazon).

HOW TO USE:

Simply go to the Amazon page for the CD you want to post a picture of and copy down its ASIN number (every Amazon item has a unique ASIN number, located in teh Product Details section of the Amazon page).

Then when making your psot on GMG, click the ASIN icon (looks like this )

This adds a set of asin tags. Paste your copied ASIN number between the tags and your CD cover is posted.

In addition, a small Buy-it-now tag is added for members to go instantly to the Amazon page. Any sales that result earns GMG a small commission and directly helps in the running of this forum.

cheers
Rob

 Macs are better. They just are.

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: ASIN function is back
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
Excellent, thanks for that, Rob. I always liked that feature since you first introduced it. It makes things a lot easier to find when someone is introducing a new disk. Things are coming along splendidly now, ASIN and the reply box back to size!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03_42 Quartet in D for Strings Op 33 #6 4th mvmt - Finale: Allegretto
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Thanks Rob for all your hard work...

I do have a complaint in regards to the ASIN function: when I use it, post the picture, and then finally make my post, and this is hard to explain without actually showing you in person, but after I make my post it looks funny displayed on the thread, but when I don't use the ASIN function, everything looks fine. Again, it's hard for me to explain...

I guess another way to put is the way each post is separated on a thread doesn't look right.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
Thanks Rob for all your hard work...

I do have a complaint in regards to the ASIN function: when I use it, post the picture, and then finally make my post, and this is hard to explain without actually showing you in person, but after I make my post it looks funny displayed on the thread, but when I don't use the ASIN function, everything looks fine. Again, it's hard for me to explain...

I guess another way to put is the way each post is separated on a thread doesn't look right.

can you post a screenshot of what you mean?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
can you post a screenshot of what you mean?

I'm not sure how to post a screenshot. Let me just see if I can insert the ASIN here and let's see if it doesn't separate the posts correctly:

Edit: You see how it puts my signature on the left-hand sided instead of the right-hand side?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:12:00 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:05 PM »
But if I do this:

And turn it into a regular image with no link attachment it does fine.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:59:20 PM »
I'm not sure how to post a screenshot. Let me just see if I can insert the ASIN here and let's see if it doesn't separate the posts correctly:

Edit: You see how it puts my signature on the left-hand sided instead of the right-hand side?

I see it. THis is quite similar to what I just posted about with the ignore function. It causes a similar tabbing (indenting) of the text that follows.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:54 AM »
Silly me. I forgot to close a <div>. (For those of you that code, you'll know whjat I mean).

Fixed.

Does this fix the ignore problem as well? I can't tell because I don't ignore anybody.  0:)

cheers
Rob

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:09:44 AM »
Silly me. I forgot to close a <div>. (For those of you that code, you'll know whjat I mean).

Fixed.

Does this fix the ignore problem as well? I can't tell because I don't ignore anybody.  0:)

cheers
Rob

Yes - both all fixed for me! Thanks!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

karlhenning

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:10:58 AM »

Actually, I see your signature in the same position in both posts.

(Ah, must have been after Rob's repairs.)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:11 AM »
Thanks Rob, this fixed the problem. 8)

Brahmsian

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »
Thank you Rob, for bringing back this wonderful, useful tool!  Thanks for all your hard work.  :)