Author Topic: Missing Members  (Read 245985 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Missing Members
« Reply #1940 on: June 13, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
My understanding is that the forum administrators have themselves been unable to get a response from Rob.

Sure but if they're trying to get hold of him through the PM system of the website, that may be unreliable. If they've been using his postal address or phone number or a private email address and there is still no reply, that's quite another matter.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #1941 on: June 13, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »
I know that we are not to discuss the existence of other sites here. But since new members are not being accepted, I think that rule is moot. What is the best alternative to GMG? Talk Classical is the only other high traffic site I know of.

Same here.  Personally, I wouldn't bother with a low traffic site.  On a more positive note, I have faith that the "new members" situation will be resolved within 6 months.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #1942 on: June 13, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
Sure but if they're trying to get hold of him through the PM system of the website, that may be unreliable. If they've been using his postal address or phone number or a private email address and there is still no reply, that's quite another matter.

I use his previously reliable (for several years) gmail address. I have informed him of everything of importance. I trust he will handle it within his capabilities. Meanwhile, I wait, as do you all. :-\

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1943 on: June 13, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
I will be frequenting another site for classical music discussions. Cheers.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #1944 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
Well, shoot me leak.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1945 on: June 13, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
I use his previously reliable (for several years) gmail address. I have informed him of everything of importance. I trust he will handle it within his capabilities. Meanwhile, I wait, as do you all. :-\

8)

I wish Rob well.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #1946 on: June 13, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
I wish Rob well.

Me too. Hope he'll manage to fix the bugs.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
    Bach, Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Debussy
« Reply #1947 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
I will be frequenting another site for classical music discussions. Cheers.

I don't understand a member deleting his account - even if he wishes to go somewhere else. 

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #1948 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Wtf? Scarpia left GMG? Truly this site is slowly dying...

Please, Arthur, come back!
The golden mean, the truth, is no longer recognized or valued. To win applause one must write stuff so simple that a coachman might sing it, or so incomprehensible that it pleases simply because no sensible man can comprehend it. - Mozart

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1949 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »

He'd been a bit contrarian, as of late. Perhaps that was another 'statement' along those lines? Does seem a bit rude, though.

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1950 on: June 13, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
I don't understand a member deleting his account - even if he wishes to go somewhere else.

I read, in past days, that the man who ordered the construction of the nearly infinite Wall of China was that First Emperor, Shih Huang Ti, who likewise ordered the burning of all the books before him. That the two gigantic operations—the five or six hundred leagues of stone to oppose the barbarians, the rigorous abolition of history, that is of the past—issued from one person and were in a certain sense his attributes, inexplicably satisfied me and, at the same time, disturbed me. The object of this note is to investigate the reasons for that emotion.

;)
If you’ve got a T-shirt with bloodstains all over it, maybe laundry isn’t your biggest problem right now. 
--Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Pjotr

• Veteran member
« Reply #1951 on: June 13, 2018, 01:01:02 PM »

You could always follow him to Talk classical I suppose, that way you will be with Arthur in definitive. :)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1952 on: June 13, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
Just remember to say "Schoenberg is the antichrist" in every second post and you'll fit right in.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #1953 on: June 13, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
Just remember to say "Schoenberg is the antichrist" in every second post and you'll fit right in.

So long as you don't question that Wagner is god incarnate...
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #1954 on: June 13, 2018, 07:16:42 PM »

Same with me.
But it's possible, and therefore his/her own choice.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1955 on: June 13, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
You could always follow him to Talk classical I suppose, that way you will be with Arthur in definitive. :)

What's your problem, Harry? Or have you just had a bad day?
The golden mean, the truth, is no longer recognized or valued. To win applause one must write stuff so simple that a coachman might sing it, or so incomprehensible that it pleases simply because no sensible man can comprehend it. - Mozart

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1956 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:53 PM »
He'd been a bit contrarian, as of late. Perhaps that was another 'statement' along those lines? Does seem a bit rude, though.

I crossed swords with him more than once but he is a knowledgeable fellow. Moreover, in the current circumstances the loss of an active member is irreplaceable and I can only lament it.

So long as you don't question that Wagner is god incarnate...

Doesn't seem like my kind of place.  ;D

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #1957 on: June 14, 2018, 02:13:23 AM »

8)
Has he responded within the past six weeks (after May 2nd)?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:20:24 AM by mc ukrneal »
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1958 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:57 AM »

Have there been a similar cases, where he has not responded for a long time?
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #1959 on: June 14, 2018, 03:29:39 AM »
Have there been a similar cases, where he has not responded for a long time?

Not for this long. He travels on business sometimes, and it may be a week or two, but this has been quite considerable. :-\

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106