Author Topic: Missing Members  (Read 382665 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Missing Members
« Reply #2420 on: August 16, 2019, 11:33:42 PM »
Happy to be back, and thanks for the kind thoughts :)

If anyone's curious, my long break had nothing to do with anyone or anything here...  as several others have mentioned, raising 2 children will tend to re-prioritize one's life.  I was obliged to spend a lot less time on the internet, as well as having greatly reduced opportunity for classical music listening (not to mention reduced funding for purchases).  It wasn't so much a conscious choice to leave as a case of getting distracted and pulled into other things.

But my kids are now in middle and high school, so my free time is opening back up.  I put on a CD a few months ago, which brought back to mind pleasant memories of GMG, and so I logged back in.  If I'm being honest, I've also been fighting back a bit of depression the past few months, since my mom passed away over the holidays -- feeling a part of a community helps a little, especially one that is a complete shift from my day-to-day life (not many folks in my circle of friends who've even heard of Bruckner, much less can hold up an argument on Jochum EMI vs DG in the 8th). 

I've been re-reading some of the old stuff (dug up my copy of the old "Fighting About Chopin" thread, and have been slowly working my way through Gurn's Haydn Haus, all 200 + pages of it).  Funny how one's taste changes over time.  It is a bit sad to see so many of the old familiar names gone, though I guess I'm not in a position to talk :)  Though hopefully some of our missing folks are in a similar situation to mine, and may stop by again when life turns back around, as it often does... and it is good to see some newer members as well, with whom I hope to become better acquainted. 

Cheers!
I think that our musical tastes may not overlap that much but good to see you back here and sorry to hear about your mom.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline jwinter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2421 on: August 17, 2019, 05:57:43 AM »
Thanks!  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #2422 on: August 19, 2019, 02:23:37 AM »
Happy to be back, and thanks for the kind thoughts :)

If anyone's curious, my long break had nothing to do with anyone or anything here...  as several others have mentioned, raising 2 children will tend to re-prioritize one's life.  I was obliged to spend a lot less time on the internet, as well as having greatly reduced opportunity for classical music listening (not to mention reduced funding for purchases).  It wasn't so much a conscious choice to leave as a case of getting distracted and pulled into other things.

But my kids are now in middle and high school, so my free time is opening back up.  I put on a CD a few months ago, which brought back to mind pleasant memories of GMG, and so I logged back in.  If I'm being honest, I've also been fighting back a bit of depression the past few months, since my mom passed away over the holidays -- feeling a part of a community helps a little, especially one that is a complete shift from my day-to-day life (not many folks in my circle of friends who've even heard of Bruckner, much less can hold up an argument on Jochum EMI vs DG in the 8th). 

I've been re-reading some of the old stuff (dug up my copy of the old "Fighting About Chopin" thread, and have been slowly working my way through Gurn's Haydn Haus, all 200 + pages of it).  Funny how one's taste changes over time.  It is a bit sad to see so many of the old familiar names gone, though I guess I'm not in a position to talk :)  Though hopefully some of our missing folks are in a similar situation to mine, and may stop by again when life turns back around, as it often does... and it is good to see some newer members as well, with whom I hope to become better acquainted. 

Cheers!
Glad to hear you are well, if perhaps a bit busy!! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!