Author Topic: Missing Members  (Read 275207 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Missing Members
« Reply #2120 on: September 27, 2018, 03:36:39 AM »
Let's say it was a combination of several frustrating factors: The forum being only intermittently accessible even as a mere passive reader, the nagging feeling to remain a passive reader when a certain discussion screamed for my important contributions ;), so I skipped the reading as well, a hot summer with better spare time entertainment than sitting in front of a computer (or a stereo) and so on. If I had not come to the idea of contacting you via the Haydn page, I might have called it quits.

As if Haydn needed any further proof of his lasting value... ;)  :D

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2121 on: September 27, 2018, 03:42:07 AM »
As if Haydn needed any further proof of his lasting value... ;)  :D

Hah!  :D
When I was a child, happiness was simple. Now that I've grown up, simplicity is happiness. - Anonymous

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #2122 on: October 14, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
Oh dear, another hellacious hurricane went through Georgia, and MI is missing. He unfriended me on facebook, so no information there. I hope he came trough unscathed. I recall that last hurricane his house was damaged.

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #2123 on: October 14, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
Oh dear, another hellacious hurricane went through Georgia, and MI is missing. He unfriended me on facebook, so no information there. I hope he came trough unscathed. I recall that last hurricane his house was damaged.

I had a look on FB to see, however, seemingly, I also am out in the cold. I hope he is OK.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #2124 on: October 14, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »
He seems to have unfriended everyone on FB.
But he changed his FB cover photo yesterday so presumably this new storm did no major damage.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100021897814014&fref=nf

Stranahan House Ft Lauderdale Fl

« Reply #2125 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
He seems to have unfriended everyone on FB.
But he changed his FB cover photo yesterday so presumably this new storm did no major damage.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100021897814014&fref=nf

You take for granted that he wouldn't be changing his profile picture from a FEMA tent somewhere?   >:D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #2126 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
Thanks to those who are concerned, but I’m in the midst of dismantling my Facebook and just getting rid of it for good. If I unfriended you, it’s because I honestly wanted nothing to do with GMG for awhile and, in the process, I became frustrated and so I started deleting my GMG friends (among others as well). As for Hurricane Michael (err...Tropical Storm Michael), thankfully we got through it unscathed. A good bit of rain and some wind is all we received, so I’m quite thankful for this, although we were much better equipped for it this time around as we had around 9-10 trees cut down following the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. Anyway, I’m alive (for now) and hopefully I’ll feel the urge to post more often.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:00:14 PM by Mirror Image »
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #2127 on: October 15, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
Thanks to those who are concerned, but I’m in the midst of dismantling my Facebook and just getting rid of it for good. If I unfriended you, it’s because I honestly wanted nothing to do with GMG for awhile and, in the process, I became frustrated and so I started deleting my GMG friends (among others as well). As for Hurricane Michael (err...Tropical Storm Michael), thankfully we got through it unscathed. A good bit of rain and some wind is all we received, so I’m quite thankful for this, although we were much better equipped for it this time around as we had around 9-10 trees cut down following the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. Anyway, I’m alive (for now) and hopefully I’ll feel the urge to post more often.
Good to hear. As long as you are okay and still listening to music!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #2128 on: October 15, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »
Good to hear. As long as you are okay and still listening to music!

Thanks, Ken. 8) Oh yes, I’m definitely still listening to music. I took quite a break from classical music, but it seems I’ve been bitten by the bug yet again.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2129 on: October 16, 2018, 08:35:34 AM »
Very pleased to see you back here John and all strength to you in whatever is going on in your life.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2130 on: October 26, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »
Bogey - he had an enthusiasm for music and cinema (without talking uninformed BS about cinematography) and boxing and other cool stuff. Wherever he is/whatever he's doing, I hope he's well.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #2131 on: October 26, 2018, 08:41:13 PM »
Bogey - he had an enthusiasm for music and cinema (without talking uninformed BS about cinematography) and boxing and other cool stuff. Wherever he is/whatever he's doing, I hope he's well.
And an interest in all things 1950s.
I hope he comes Bac .... all
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2132 on: October 26, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
And an interest in all things 1950s.
I hope he comes Bac .... all

*proverbial polite round of golf applause*
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2133 on: October 30, 2018, 05:45:31 AM »
+1
I miss his contributions too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline JBS

« Reply #2134 on: October 31, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
I decided to go missing from Twitter: deactivated my account just now after deciding it was of no benefit beyond wasting my time arguing in 140 character bursts with total strangers.  Anyone I actually wanted to keep in touch with there I can do so on Facebook and/or here.

So if you wonder why I disappeared there, that's why.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #2135 on: October 31, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
I decided to go missing from Twitter: deactivated my account just now after deciding it was of no benefit beyond wasting my time arguing in 140 character bursts with total strangers.  Anyone I actually wanted to keep in touch with there I can do so on Facebook and/or here.

So if you wonder why I disappeared there, that's why.

Pity, I found a lot of your retweets kept me informed about a sector I rarely get to see elsewise. But I understand your need to decompress, it's a bit much betimes... :-\

8)

Offline JBS

« Reply #2136 on: October 31, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
Pity, I found a lot of your retweets kept me informed about a sector I rarely get to see elsewise. But I understand your need to decompress, it's a bit much betimes... :-\

8)

I do have 30 days to change my mind....and of course after that I can simply start all over.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #2137 on: October 31, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »

I do have 30 days to change my mind....and of course after that I can simply start all over.

Indeed you do. Which is why I rarely bemoan members leaving, there or here. They can always come back.

I DO miss our Bogey, though... :-\

8)

« Reply #2138 on: October 31, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
I never quite figured out what Twitter is for.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2139 on: November 01, 2018, 12:57:09 AM »
Indeed you do. Which is why I rarely bemoan members leaving, there or here. They can always come back.

I DO miss our Bogey, though... :-\

8)

I left him vx-mail the other day, will follow up this morning.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot