Author Topic: Missing Members  (Read 309172 times)

Offline pjme

Re: Missing Members
« Reply #2320 on: June 13, 2019, 02:41:22 AM »
And speaking of that, your current profile photo ('Stephan Fleeting' or something) is a nice rip off of Avedon.

Check out Stephan Vanfleteren ((Belgium/Kortrijk, 1969) :
http://stephanvanfleteren.com/nl

Later this year in the Antwerp photography museum:
https://www.fotomuseum.be/tentoonstellingen/Stephan_Vanfleteren.html

He made some great portraits:

http://500photographers.blogspot.com/2010/07/photographer-065-stephan-vanfleteren.html

NikF4

« Reply #2321 on: June 13, 2019, 02:48:22 AM »
Check out Stephan Vanfleteren ((Belgium/Kortrijk, 1969) :
http://stephanvanfleteren.com/nl

Later this year in the Antwerp photography museum:
https://www.fotomuseum.be/tentoonstellingen/Stephan_Vanfleteren.html

He made some great portraits:

http://500photographers.blogspot.com/2010/07/photographer-065-stephan-vanfleteren.html

Yeah, that's the name I was thinking of.

Whereas, Avedon -

Cheers for the link. I'll check it out at my leisure.

e: kind of along the lines of 'knowing the rules before you can break them' or whatever that saying is.

FWIW (probably fuck all) the words my old boss used to instill those rules, when teaching me a rough guide to (35mm) focal lengths in reference to photographing women -

24mm eyes to toes
50mm eyes to trim
85mm eyes to tits
105mm eyes to teeth
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:52:54 AM by NikF4 »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #2322 on: June 13, 2019, 03:04:33 AM »
[...]

[...]

A childhood hero of mine.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

NikF4

« Reply #2323 on: June 13, 2019, 03:23:42 AM »
I'm not hanging around so some creepy old coward can twist my words to further their cause -

Anyway, enough of all this crap. There are a few people I speak with off site already, but this morning I received a couple of sincere messages and it'll be my pleasure to chat with those too.

And I don't do the whole 'flounce off and then sneak back later thing.' I won't even lurk to read any replies to this message.

Look after yourselves and no matter how good the music is remember to go outside and smell the real flowers once in a while.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #2324 on: June 13, 2019, 04:42:58 AM »
I'm not hanging around so some creepy old coward can twist my words to further their cause -

Anyway, enough of all this crap. There are a few people I speak with off site already, but this morning I received a couple of sincere messages and it'll be my pleasure to chat with those too.

And I don't do the whole 'flounce off and then sneak back later thing.' I won't even lurk to read any replies to this message.

Look after yourselves and no matter how good the music is remember to go outside and smell the real flowers once in a while.

I for one am heartily sorry that NikF4, also deleted his account.  I valued his contribution, and am quite sad he is gone. I respected him, and still do.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #2325 on: June 13, 2019, 04:55:46 AM »
I for one am heartily sorry that NikF4, also deleted his account.  I valued his contribution, and am quite sad he is gone. I respected him, and still do.
Yup, I liked Nik and his adventures and his live concert diary. But this episode was just bizarre. It is of course clear that "I bet nobody would get in a boxing ring with me" was NOT a threat, just as I personally bet nobody here could try to eat more cookies than me  ;D But calling Mike all the things he just called him, zoinks.

I suspect Nik will wake up with some remorse because he seems like a good dude, but ...  :-\

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #2326 on: June 13, 2019, 05:41:01 AM »

After his recent spate of inchoate, vitriolic and puerile abuse I must demur. He had become like a belligerent drunk at a soccer game.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #2327 on: June 13, 2019, 06:38:09 AM »
Yup, I liked Nik and his adventures and his live concert diary. But this episode was just bizarre. It is of course clear that "I bet nobody would get in a boxing ring with me" was NOT a threat, just as I personally bet nobody here could try to eat more cookies than me  ;D But calling Mike all the things he just called him, zoinks.

I suspect Nik will wake up with some remorse because he seems like a good dude, but ...  :-\

It is a true pity, indeed.
His final advice "[...] go outside and smell the real flowers once in a while" was a good one. It might even have worked with him in this particular matter. Most certainly combined with his Personal Text, which was, iirc, "Time and patience."

I admit I'm a bit baffled and also feeling sad about what has been happening here the last 2 or 3 days. And I'm not even a heavy regular anymore.

Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2328 on: June 13, 2019, 09:01:46 AM »
I hope I'm not the only one tired of witnessing the same stuff over and over again?  ::)

It's a classic chain of events:
1) poster A annoys the hell out of poster B (mind that there is a possibility that poster A is actually really annoying)
2) Poster B goes off the rails.
3) Poster A leaves and poster B is moderated.
4) Poster B takes it up a few notches, but now conveniently targets the moderator.
5) Poster B leaves.

Really, I don’t care anymore...

Anyone who is angry and takes it out on someone here, can take a hike... Thank you very much...

Q

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #2329 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »

I too, and would be very glad if one of those who do have contact with him off forum let him know that I would be glad to keep in touch with him.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #2330 on: June 13, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
I too, and would be very glad if one of those who do have contact with him off forum let him know that I would be glad to keep in touch with him.

I will do that for you!
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #2331 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:00 AM »
I hope I'm not the only one tired of witnessing the same stuff over and over again?  ::)

1) poster A annoys the hell out of poster B (mind that there is a possibility that poster A is actually really annoying)
4) Poster B takes it up a few notches, but now conveniently targets the moderator.
5) Poster B leaves.

Anyone who is angry and takes it out on someone here, can take a hike... Thank you very much...

Ideally, the original disagreement was along the lines of “you interpret the phrase ‘emotional content’ slightly differently than I do.”

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #2332 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:49 AM »
I will do that for you!

Thank you!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2333 on: June 13, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »

Likewise,please.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2334 on: June 14, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »

5) Poster B leaves.

Q

I've had very nice exchanges with both parties, especially MI (over many years) and it is very sad that this has happened. The level of vitriol poured over MI surprised and disheartened me. I'm no saint myself but life is too short for all this.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #2335 on: June 14, 2019, 08:35:01 AM »
I've had very nice exchanges with both parties, especially MI (over many years) and it is very sad that this has happened. The level of vitriol poured over MI surprised and disheartened me. I'm no saint myself but life is too short for all this.

+1
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #2336 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »

It did not alas surprise me because it wasn’t the first example from NikF4. And it wasn’t the last or, from what Knight says, even the worst. I hope Brian is right and that he regrets his behavior, but I won’t hold my breath.

I do hope John returns.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2337 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2338 on: June 14, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »

I don't understand these sudden outbursts of verbal aggression... some of us have issues, clearly...  ::)

I'm pretty sure MI will be back at some moment BTW.

Q
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:32:59 AM by Que »

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #2339 on: June 14, 2019, 04:51:57 PM »
I don't understand these sudden outbursts of verbal agression... some of us have issues, clearly...  ::)

I'm pretty sure MI will be back at some moment BTW.

Q

I am under the impression that Nik had a much rougher upbringing than a number of us, and a consequent willingness to put aside burgher proprieties when he thought they were harmful. And also possibly a feeling of being something of an outsider here. I must also confess that while I didn't share Nik's vehemence,  John (MI) could often post comments that I found tiresome, annoying, even provoking.

But I consider both my friends, and hope they return to peaceful co-existence.

At the very least I have always found their contributions to far outweigh their "sins".