Author Topic: Missing Members  (Read 302024 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
Re: Missing Members
« Reply #1060 on: February 23, 2015, 04:27:30 AM »
I fear the worst . . . .

Standing in line for Bayreuth tickets?!  :o

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #1061 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:32 AM »
He was doing a month long Wagner marathon (Sony box). No wonder he needs a break!!!!   ;) ;) ;)
Alternatively, he is still listening to Lohengrin!   :P

I fear the worst . . . .

Did no one dial 9-11?!  ;)

I do recall spending long, long afternoons listening to e.g. Goetterdaemmerung with the score: both the Solti and the von Karajan performances.  And yet, here I am, healthy and happy!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1062 on: February 23, 2015, 05:36:06 AM »
Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

« Reply #1063 on: February 24, 2015, 06:05:20 AM »
I exchanged notes with Z7. He's fine, not suffering from either Elgar or Wagner overload, but has other claims on his time.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1064 on: February 24, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »
Relieved to hear it is nothing so dire as over-Wagnerization!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline NJ Joe

Whatever classical music is playing on WPRB, Princeton, NJ.
« Reply #1065 on: March 15, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
Hello,

Not that anyone missed me, but I have returned after about a 5 month layoff.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September, 2014, which significantly curtailed my activity in many things, forum posting included. I began having problems mid-July, which culminated in a biopsy in early September. By the time of the actual diagnosis two weeks later, I was prepared for the worst.  Strange as it may sound, I actually felt relieved in finally knowing where I stood. The month or so leading up to the diagnosis (not knowing) was awful. 

Anyway, I underwent surgery on December 1, (a radical prostatectomy), and having been recovering since.  The entire process was rougher than I expected, but I'm progressing slowly but steadily. I returned to work after a 5 week layoff, but could have easily taken more time.  Unfortunately, disability insurance SUCKS, and I have a family to support. The biggest challenge has been to regain my stamina.

On Tuesday March 17,  I go for my first 3 month follow-up, and I'm being cautiously confident.

Yours truly,

NJ Joe
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1066 on: March 15, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
Hello,

Not that anyone missed me, but I have returned after about a 5 month layoff.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September, 2014, which significantly curtailed my activity in many things, forum posting included. I began having problems mid-July, which culminated in a biopsy in early September. By the time of the actual diagnosis two weeks later, I was prepared for the worst.  Strange as it may sound, I actually felt relieved in finally knowing where I stood. The month or so leading up to the diagnosis (not knowing) was awful. 

Anyway, I underwent surgery on December 1, (a radical prostatectomy), and having been recovering since.  The entire process was rougher than I expected, but I'm progressing slowly but steadily. I returned to work after a 5 week layoff, but could have easily taken more time.  Unfortunately, disability insurance SUCKS, and I have a family to support. The biggest challenge has been to regain my stamina.

On Tuesday March 17,  I go for my first 3 month follow-up, and I'm being cautiously confident.

Yours truly,

NJ Joe
Good luck to you and thanks for being so candid.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #1067 on: March 15, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »
Best wishes, Joe. I know several people who have had this condition to deal with, with varying degrees of success in recovery. I'm hoping you will be one of the success stories, we need more of those.

Music helps to maintain a good attitude, which is crucial to your efforts. Hope you have time to relax and listen now and then...

Regards,
GB 8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #1068 on: March 15, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »

Anyway, I underwent surgery on December 1, (a radical prostatectomy), and having been recovering since... 

Ouch!  As part of your therapy, the complete symphonies of Anton Bruckner are prescribed!   ;)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #1069 on: March 15, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »
Good luck with the cancer, Joe.

Ouch!  As part of your therapy, the complete symphonies of Anton Bruckner are prescribed!   ;)
An aesthetic anaesthetic?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:03:40 AM by North Star »
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #1070 on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »

An aesthetic energetic!   0:)

Offline NJ Joe

« Reply #1071 on: March 15, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Good luck to you and thanks for being so candid.

Thank you and you're welcome! It's therapeutic for me to talk about it, now that the surgery's done. 

It was very difficult to talk about in the time leading up to the surgery.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Offline NJ Joe

« Reply #1072 on: March 15, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »
Best wishes, Joe. I know several people who have had this condition to deal with, with varying degrees of success in recovery. I'm hoping you will be one of the success stories, we need more of those.

Music helps to maintain a good attitude, which is crucial to your efforts. Hope you have time to relax and listen now and then...

Regards,
GB 8)

Thank you, sir.  I totally agree with you.  A positive attitude is essential, and music helps in a way that is beyond description. My doc says my prognosis is excellent. Let's hope he's right!
-David Byrne

Offline NJ Joe

« Reply #1073 on: March 15, 2015, 12:13:16 PM »

Yes, thank you!  I'm on it!
-David Byrne

Offline NJ Joe

« Reply #1074 on: March 15, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Good luck with the cancer, Joe.

Thank you!
-David Byrne

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #1075 on: March 15, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »
Hello,

Yours truly,

NJ Joe

I'm terribly sorry to learn of this, Joe. I hope for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline NJ Joe

« Reply #1076 on: March 15, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
I'm terribly sorry to learn of this, Joe. I hope for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself.

Thank you MI, much appreciated!
-David Byrne

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #1077 on: March 15, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Thank you and you're welcome! It's therapeutic for me to talk about it, now that the surgery's done. 

It was very difficult to talk about in the time leading up to the surgery.

The same thing happened with me.  I didn't want to talk to anyone about it.  Just wanted to concentrate on getting myself into the right frame of mind - be strong and beat it.  All is fine now, and I hope the same for you.

Offline NJ Joe

« Reply #1078 on: March 15, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
The same thing happened with me.  I didn't want to talk to anyone about it.  Just wanted to concentrate on getting myself into the right frame of mind - be strong and beat it.  All is fine now, and I hope the same for you.

Thank you Sammy, glad to hear all is fine with you!
-David Byrne

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Missing Members - Phrygian
« Reply #1079 on: April 25, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Phrygian, a lady from Australia, seems to have disappeared.

I have written to her by e-mail now and then, since she joined: right now she is in Vienna.  Recent e-mails have returned, as if her account is gone.  The account here also seems to be defunct.

Sad: we need more women here, especially for Snyppr0:)