Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 164008 times)

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #2560 on: October 13, 2017, 01:11:07 AM »
My only thought is: who are these people?

Honestly, I tried. I googled James Eckardt and came up with a whole lot of hits for a book reviewer in Thailand. At that point I gave up.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #2561 on: October 13, 2017, 01:16:11 AM »

Honestly, I tried. I googled James Eckardt and came up with a whole lot of hits for a book reviewer in Thailand. At that point I gave up.
I seemed to have better luck finding them...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Eckardt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Cassidy
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #2562 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:59 AM »
Hmmmm Aaron Cassidy seems to be the one who gets more exposure from what I have noticed

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #2563 on: October 13, 2017, 01:33:24 AM »
Lol whoops I meant Jason Eckardt not James...........................................

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #2564 on: October 13, 2017, 02:05:52 AM »

Your boycotting of living composers would horrify some guy.  ;D
Regele şi Patria!

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2565 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
I seemed to have better luck finding them...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Eckardt

It would have helped if I was given the correct name to actually search for.

There you have it folks: composers so well known that the person who initially named them couldn't quite remember the name.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2566 on: October 13, 2017, 05:59:53 AM »

I don't boycott them. I'm quite sure I own a considerable number of works by living composers. Including (but not confined to) all the pop/rock/alternative musicians that lots of folks around here would be horrified that I don't boycott.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #2567 on: October 13, 2017, 06:29:43 AM »
There you have it folks: composers so well known that the person who initially named them couldn't quite remember the name.

I don't boycott them. I'm quite sure I own a considerable number of works by living composers. Including (but not confined to) all the pop/rock/alternative musicians that lots of folks around here would be horrified that I don't boycott.

Hah!

Regele şi Patria!

Offline Uhor

« Reply #2568 on: October 16, 2017, 06:20:47 AM »
Care for others as well as you would an expensive violin, people are instruments too.

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #2569 on: October 16, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »

While l don't exactly boycott most living composers, enough of them bore the crap out of me consistently enough that l do not seek them out.

Living Composer  >:D,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

millionrainbows

« Reply #2570 on: October 20, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
Ah but did he use them all equally and all in the same order. Now that would interesting.

Oh, yeah, you mean like Schoenberg's 12-tone stuff. True. But even Bach had the Chromatic Fantasy, and the Sinfonia Nr. 9 uses 11 of the 12, but they're passing tones, usually. True 'use of all 12 tones' would be if they were all root movements. That would be true harmonic chromaticism.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #2571 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:54 PM »
Oh, yeah, you mean like Schoenberg's 12-tone stuff. True.

Except that that's not the way any of Schoenberg's, or anyone else's, 12-tone music actually works.  Why don't people just use their ears and hear that it's exactly the same as any other music, aside from the term?

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2572 on: October 20, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
Except that that's not the way any of Schoenberg's, or anyone else's, 12-tone music actually works.  Why don't people just use their ears and hear that it's exactly the same as any other music, aside from the term?

Because it's not "exactly the same". "Exactly the same" would consist of copying out another composer's piece and claiming it was your own. Your insistence on claiming there's nothing at all different makes about as much sense as asserting that all human beings are clone copies of each other.

And it certainly doesn't make sense to prefer one kind of music that is "exactly the same" over another kind. And yet here we all are, exhibiting preferences. Do you deny you have preferences?

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #2573 on: October 20, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
Because it's not "exactly the same". "Exactly the same" would consist of copying out another composer's piece and claiming it was your own. Your insistence on claiming there's nothing at all different makes about as much sense as asserting that all human beings are clone copies of each other.

And it certainly doesn't make sense to prefer one kind of music that is "exactly the same" over another kind. And yet here we all are, exhibiting preferences. Do you deny you have preferences?

Yes, it is different from other pieces of music in the same way that other pieces of music are different from each other.  I don't have a preference for 12-tone music any more than I have a preference for pieces of music using the note D# exactly 62 times.  It seems like an irrelevant characteristic.

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2574 on: October 20, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
Yes, it is different from other pieces of music in the same way that other pieces of music are different from each other.  I don't have a preference for 12-tone music any more than I have a preference for pieces of music using the note D# exactly 62 times.  It seems like an irrelevant characteristic.

And because you find it irrelevant, you keep insisting that everybody else should also find it irrelevant. THAT is the biggest problem in the way you talk about this stuff. You're constantly mystified as to why other people decide to consider distinctions relevant that you don't consider relevant.

Which is not how subjective tastes work.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:57:03 PM by ørfeo »

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #2575 on: October 20, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
And because you find it irrelevant, you keep insisting that everybody else should also find it irrelevant. THAT is the biggest problem in the way you talk about this stuff. You're constantly mystified as to why other people decide to consider distinctions relevant that you don't consider relevant.

No, other people insist that there is a relevant distinction present, and I am asking them to say what it is.  All of the answers I receive are nonsensical, which indicates either that they are unable to articulate that distinction, though they are able to perceive it and I am not, or there is no distinction present.

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2576 on: October 20, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
No, other people insist that there is a relevant distinction present, and I am asking them to say what it is.  All of the answers I receive are nonsensical, which indicates either that they are unable to articulate that distinction, though they are able to perceive it and I am not, or there is no distinction present.

Maybe you should roll your eyes and move on. I know that's what I'm going to do after this post.

Parsifal

« Reply #2577 on: October 20, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »

So you have excluded, as a matter principle, the possibility that they have articulated a distinction which you failed to understand?

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #2578 on: October 20, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
So you have excluded, as a matter principle, the possibility that they have articulated a distinction which you failed to understand?

Yes, because then they would have been able to articulate it in a way that was not self-contradictory.

millionrainbows

« Reply #2579 on: October 21, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
Why don't people just use their ears and hear that it's exactly the same as any other music, aside from the term?

Probably because "they" don't hear it that way. Exactly the same? That's a rather broad generalization.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK