Author Topic: Potentially Good News for Szymanowski fans  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Potentially Good News for Szymanowski fans
« on: April 11, 2007, 04:27:30 AM »

Looks like Naxos is rerecording some Szymanowski, augmenting the old, reissued Marco Polo recordings currently available.  The new Violin Concertos disc looks extra tempting.  Of course, Miriam Kramer’s Bloch disc on Naxos is pretty darned good, so the Violin Sonata is tempting, too.  Perhaps Naxos will give over a complete Szymanowski orchestral cycle to Maestro Wit?  (I’m pretty sure these are new and not licensed, but I could be mistaken.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:02:15 AM by Todd »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Harry

Re: Potentially Good News for Szymanowski fans
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 04:35:24 AM »
The first one I have and is a original Naxos recording from 2005, and I listened to it.
Its excellent!
The second one is ordered, so I should get it soon!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 04:37:07 AM »
Its excellent!

Hmmm.  The question for me now is do I buy the first disc now and wait for the new one, or do I wait for the new one and buy both (and perhaps a few other things) at the same time?  Decisions, decisions . . .

Offline dirkronk

• Shivo'ham
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:58:13 AM »

Hmmm.  The question for me now is do I buy the first disc now and wait for the new one, or do I wait for the new one and buy both (and perhaps a few other things) at the same time?  Decisions, decisions . . .

I'd say wait. You may need the money for as-yet-unpurchased Beethoven piano sonata sets.
 ;D

(How many sets and partial sets are you up to now, Todd?)

Dirk

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 04:59:40 AM »
(How many sets and partial sets are you up to now, Todd?)

42.  I'm done with complete cycles for now.  I'd say no exceptions, but who would I be kidding?

Harry

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 05:00:29 AM »

Just wait till I have the other one too, in a couple of days, and if its good, you can buy the both of them without a dud investment! ;D

Offline Earthlight

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »
Looks like Naxos is rerecording some Szymanowski, augmenting the old, reissued Marco Polo recordings currently available.  The new Violin Concertos disc looks extra tempting.

I just listened to the first violin concerto on the Naxos online service, back-to-back with the older one (Konstanty Andrzej Kulka, Polish State Philharmonic Orchestra/Katowice, Karol Stryja).

The new one sounds better; the Warsaw Philharmonic gets a gorgeous sound, and it's a very clear, lush recording. There's nothing wrong with the Katowice orchestra, but that recording sounds a bit tubby by comparison. But I can't say I really like the new recording more as an experience. If anything, violinist Kulka may get more of the just-slightly-over-the-edge romanticism this music seems to want. (This is just in the first concerto; I haven't listened to the 2nd yet.)

I never heard this work in my life until I happened on this thread and decided to run my Naxos subscription through its paces. And I haven't heard much Szymanowski in general; he's been stuck for months in that infinite corral of "this guy's really good, I gotta hear more" composers. So I'm nine miles south of expert; I'm just giving a first impression.

abidoful

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »

I never heard this work in my life until I happened on this thread and decided to run my Naxos subscription through its paces. And I haven't heard much Szymanowski in general; he's been stuck for months in that infinite corral of "this guy's really good, I gotta hear more" composers. So I'm nine miles south of expert; I'm just giving a first impression.
The First Violin Concerto is a dangerous work to start with Szymanowski---it's one of those great masterpieces which have somekind of  glowing touch of genious---he never surpassed it.

CD

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »
Nice to see he's expanding his 'canon'. Or perhaps he's slumming?

Can't wait to hear his take on Vaughan Williams!