Author Topic: Buy me a Christmas present...  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
Buy me a Christmas present...
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
Greetings to all at Good-Music-Guide.

As we enter the holiday season, and your thoughts turn to gift giving, please give GMG a thought.

If you are planning to buy gifts for yourself, family or friends from Amazon, could I ask that you use any of the links from GMG to get to Amazon. Amazon tracks where buyers come from, and credits the referring website a small portion of any sale.

It costs you no more - the commission is simply taken from Amazon's standard price.

It works for any link to Amazon on GMG (banners ads, product images, Amazon link at the bottom of every page) and works for any item bought at Amazon (CDs, books, electronics, gift certificates, new, used or third party).

This simple text link will do it: http://amazon.com/o/redirect-home/goodmusicguideco

All it takes is that extra step to go to Amazon via one of the links on GMG.

GMG gets credited with about 6% of the sale, which then goes into a special fund to actively keep this forum running. My current annual costs to run this server and website is in excess of $2000. Currently, about half of this is funded by Amazon sales, advertising and subscribers. The other half comes out of my own pocket. I would love to see GMG self-sufficient.

Cheers, happy holidays to all, and thank you for your support.

Rob

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:01:18 PM by Dungeon Master »
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Buy me a Christmas present...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »

As we enter the holiday season, and your thoughts turn to gift giving, please give GMG a thought.

If you are planning to buy gifts for yourself, family or friends from Amazon, could I ask that you use any of the links from GMG to get to Amazon. Amazon tracks where buyers come from, and credits the referring website a small portion of any sale.

It costs you no more - the commission is simply taken from Amazon's standard price.

It works for any link to Amazon on GMG (banners ads, product images, Amazon link at the bottom of every page) and works for any item bought at Amazon (CDs, books, electronics, gift certificates, new, used or third party).

GMG gets credited with about 6% of the sale, which then goes into a special fund to actively keep this forum running. My current annual costs to run this server and website is in excess of $2000. Currently, about half of this is funded by Amazon sales, advertising and subscribers. The other half comes out of my own pocket. I would love to see GMG self-sufficient.

Rob

A timely reminder. But perhaps a bit more explanation would be helpful in understanding how it works (and may help make it seem easier to do).

Does GMG get the money if I click on a link but then choose a MP seller?
If I go through a link and put something in my basket, but close that link and then later reopen the site (without going through GMG) and buy what I put in my basket, does GMG still get the commission?
If I put something in my basket and then go put more in the basket (in the same session) will GMG get the money on these additional purchases?
If I go through a link and put it in my wish list and at some future point buy the product, will it still be credited to GMG? Or do I have to go through the link again?
If I go through a link, but don't put that first product in the basket, and start seaching (and buying) after that, will everything I buy in that session go towards GMG?

These have never been clear to me, and I suspect that those of us who use Amazon aren't always clear if a commission is going to GMG. The more understanding we have, the easier it will be to make sure we are helping you. I hope the tone comes across correctly - just want to make sure we are doing our part to help.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
Happy to do that! And thanks for the reminder - one I wish everyone here would keep in mind - of the real cost of running GMG.

And meanwhile, best wishes to you, and thanks for all that you do to keep this place such a good online destination.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

kishnevi

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
Since the DM is presumably fast asleep in his Aussie bed about now,  I'll try to given an interim answer to those questions.  If I'm wrong I'm sure he'll correct me once he's woken up and had his morning coffee.

As I understand it, once we enter through the GMG link, anything we order during that session will be credited to GMG, no matter what it is or whether it's Amazon or a Marketplace vendor we buy it from, or how long it's been in our shopping cart.  But if we leave Amazon and come back through another link,  GMG won't get the credit, even if we put it in our cart while using the GMG link.  IF we enter through a non-GMG link, put something in our cart and then re-enter through the GMG link and then make the actual purchase, GMG will get the credit.

I suppose the basic solution is to bookmark the GMG link as our main entrypoint for Amazon.
This is the one I use, although the links for AmazonUK and Canada are different.
http://www.amazon.com/182-4386088-1338966?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&tag=goodmusicguideco&link_code=hom&*entries*=0

Question for the DM: has anyone investigated the possibility of an affiliate program with other vendors such as Arkivmusic, Prestoclassical, etc.  I know WETA seems to have such an arrangement with Arkivmusic, and my orders from those two are actually much bigger than from Amazon in any of its formats.

ibanezmonster

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:13 PM »
As I understand it, once we enter through the GMG link, anything we order during that session will be credited to GMG, no matter what it is or whether it's Amazon or a Marketplace vendor we buy it from, or how long it's been in our shopping cart.
If this is how it works (if it is anything), I might be able to do this...

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »
For GMG to get the commission, the buyer must:
  • Use any link to Amazon from GMG
  • Within 24 hours of following that link, they put item(s) into their Amazon cart
  • Complete the purchase (ie pay for) within 89 days

Things that interfere with the commission structure are:
  • not placing anything in shopping cart within 24 hours
  • not completeing purchase within 89 dayst
  • re-entering Amazon using a non-GMG link (eg typing www.Amazon.com into your browser, or using another affiliate) between shopping cart and payment

Basically, I am asking that whenever you go to Amazon to shop, please use a link from GMG.

cheers
Rob
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:55:52 AM by Dungeon Master »

Offline chasmaniac

• Im Anfang war die Cat!
    • The Savage Breast
  • Currently Listening to:
    something... else!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:16:23 AM »
    For GMG to get the commission, the buyer must:
    • Use any link to Amazon from GMG
    • Within 24 hours of following that link, they put item(s) into their Amazon cart
    • Complete the purchase (ie pay for) within 89 days

Things that interfere with the commission structure are:
    • not placing anything in shopping cart within 24 hours
    • not completeing purchase within 89 dayst
    • re-entering Amazon using a non-GMG link (eg typing www.Amazon.com into your browser, or using another affiliate) between shopping cart and payment

Basically, I am asking that whenever you go to Amazon to shop, please use a link from GMG.

cheers
    Rob

That is easy. Good news![/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:59:46 AM by Dungeon Master »
    If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
    • Tony from Massachusetts
    « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »
    Thanks for posting that link, Rob. I don't think subscribers can see any Amazon links at all. (At least I can't find one.)

I remember at one time there being a little section where you could click on the proper flag for Amazon U.S., U.K., etc., but I haven't seen that for a long time.

I wasn't sure if the Amazon link I had bookmarked was still the GMG one, so I bookmarked the one you just posted to be sure.
    Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
    • Administrator
    • Head Honcho
    « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
    Thanks for bookmarking.

Sometimes Amazon does a redirect from the original URL, and if you then bookmark the new redirected site, it may not contain the goodmusicguideco tag.

If you do bookmark the text link, it may be worth going in and editing the bookmark back to the original http://amazon.com/o/redirect-home/goodmusicguideco

cheers and thank you all.
    Rob

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
    • Bachafugaholic
    « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
    I remember at one time there being a little section where you could click on the proper flag for Amazon U.S., U.K., etc., but I haven't seen that for a long time.

That's available at the bottom of every page of every thread. :) At least I can see it, even with AdBlock Plus installed in Firefox.

Rob, some members seem to be finding great bargains at the Spanish and Italian Amazons. Have you considered adding those sites as well to the list of options?
    Regards,
    Navneeth

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • I free-think, therefore I am free
      • Soundcloud
    « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
    Rob, some members seem to be finding great bargains at the Spanish and Italian Amazons. Have you considered adding those sites as well to the list of options?

I had not noticed that there is now Amazon.es. Italian Amazon is pretty new thing too but the shipping rates in the marketplace are huge (same problem with German Amazon). Spanish Amazon doesn't seem to have a marketplace yet.

I wonder what the great bargains are at the Spanish and Italian Amazons. Normal prices in my opinion...
    Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
    Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
    and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
    • Bachafugaholic
    « Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 03:04:58 AM »
    I wonder what the great bargains are at the Spanish and Italian Amazons. Normal prices in my opinion...

There are some "endemic" re-releases such as the complete symphonies of Mozart by Hogwood and the recordings of Quartetto Italiano.
    Regards,
    Navneeth

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
    « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 03:13:46 AM »
    There are some "endemic" re-releases such as the complete symphonies of Mozart by Hogwood and the recordings of Quartetto Italiano.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking for the QI Mozart quartets the other day. Looked at Amazon.com, DE and UK. OOP. But there they are, complete, at Amazon IT...eight CDs for 19 Euro! Fantastic.

Sarge
    the phone rings and somebody says,
    "hey, they made a movie about
    Mahler, you ought to go see it.
    he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                                   --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
    • Bachafugaholic
    « Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »
    Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking for the QI Mozart quartets the other day. Looked at Amazon.com, DE and UK. OOP. But there they are, complete, at Amazon IT...eight CDs for 19 Euro! Fantastic.

Sarge

You're welcome, Sarge; but I actually had the "Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms" collection in mind, which is missing all of a sudden from Amazon It., although some other Italy-based web-shops are selling it.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:49:01 AM by Opus106 »
    Regards,
    Navneeth

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
    • Tony from Massachusetts
    « Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 06:22:35 AM »
    That's available at the bottom of every page of every thread. :) At least I can see it, even with AdBlock Plus installed in Firefox.

Not available to me. If I sign out of GMG, it's there. When I log back in, it's gone. I'm guessing it's a subscriber thing. Can any other subscribers see that box?
    Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
    • Bachafugaholic
    « Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:14 AM »
    Not available to me. If I sign out of GMG, it's there. When I log back in, it's gone. I'm guessing it's a subscriber thing. Can any other subscribers see that box?

There you have it! Subscribers get access to an ad-free GMG. :)
    Regards,
    Navneeth

Offline cjvinthechair

Russian, Eastern European, Scandinavian, Dutch, oh, and English (Post-) Romantic composers, & almost all choral music.
    « Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 10:05:50 AM »
    I've only been with you for a few days, but have thoroughly enjoyed the welcome, and hope to continue enjoying  the chat & the musical education.
    If buying my (few !) purchases from Amazon by using your link will benefit the site, I'm more than happy to do so.

Happy Christmas, and thank you, to all.                             Clive.
    Clive.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
    • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
      • Henningmusick
      Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
    « Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 05:24:50 AM »
    'Tis the season!

This simple text link will do it: http://amazon.com/o/redirect-home/goodmusicguideco

Rob
    Karl Henning, Ph.D.
    Composer & Clarinetist
    Boston MA
    http://www.karlhenning.com/
    [Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
    nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
    His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
    • Administrator
    • Head Honcho
    « Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »
    Many thanks for the Bump, Karl.

As it happens, GMG is doing OK financially, so I haven't had the begging bowl out this season. Still not breaking even, but my out-of-pocket expense is quite manageable.

A big Thank You to all who contribute as subscribers, or who buy using the Amazon links, as well as to those to contribute wisdom and words.

Merry Christmas to those that celebrate, happy holidays for those that have time off, and best wishes to all at GMG!

Rob
    Canberra, Australia
    (currently a very pleasant 26 degrees and no bushfires nearby  :-\)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
      Musik fra den himmelske by
    « Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 04:34:31 AM »
    The same to you, Rob. I think I can speak for all of us when I say thanks for all you do and continue to do!
    “I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard