Poll

Who uses the iTunes store for their music downloads?

I have never used the iTunes store and don't intend to.
19 (46.3%)
I have never used the iTunes store but may give it a try in the future.
4 (9.8%)
I have used the iTunes store once/occassionally.
9 (22%)
I'm a frequent user of the iTunes store
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Who uses the iTunes store for their music and other downloads?  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
Re: Who uses the iTunes store for their music and other downloads?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
On top of my page it says you have to install certain plugins to run the functionality of the itunes add on the GMG pages. It pops up when I click on GMG

How do you know it's for iTunes? I suspect it's for the Amazon Flash "conveyor belt".
Regards,
Navneeth

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »
How do you know it's for iTunes? I suspect it's for the Amazon Flash "conveyor belt".

It started when the Itunes add came on line with GMG, question is how can I stop it from appearing every time?

Offline nico1616

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »
I've purchased music from all genres, apps and TV episodes. Have had several disappointing purchases with classical music, mostly from labels Decca and DG, but harmonia mundi, Naxos and Naive sound good. And TV shows I purchase in HD and they look great.

I have found several recordings recommended here on GMG with a much higher price on Amazon than iTunes that I have settled for the latter. I realize I am losing out on several factors that are important (booklet with texts, possibly better sound quality...) but in many cases if the samples sound clear and I already have a recording with the text then I feel comfortable with just the digital format. For example, I really want to buy the Minkowski Haydn "London" recordings, the cheapest price on amazon is $29 plus $2.99 for shipping, whereas iTunes has it for $11.99, I've sampled all the tracks, and even spent .99 cents on one track for a full movement, and have decided to purchase it digitally.

Based on the previous replies it looks as if I may be in the minority.

You are not the only one! I have bought on iTunes, when the price was right.
Often the download costs as much as the physical cd, which makes no sense. I am willing to pay about 1/3 for the download compared with the physical cd. You miss the booklet and the pleasure of having the cd.
Moreover it seems that iTunes does not remember everything I bought. So if your download is lost (defect external disk  :( ), you can not get it immediately back from iTunes for free...
I like Spotify more: for a very small fee you can explore an enormous collection.

Nico
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

DavidW

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
Moreover it seems that iTunes does not remember everything I bought. So if your download is lost (defect external disk  :( ), you can not get it immediately back from iTunes for free...

Itunes remembers everything I bought, even stuff I forgot about.  If something is not in the cloud, you can contact them for a redownload.  I did that before they had the cloud and they let me redownload the lost albums.  Just keep your receipts.  I find that policy overly generous.  I can't think of any physical store letting you have another item just because you clumsily lost the original one you bought! :D

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »
This is what this add from Itunes wants me to download all the time.

Quick time player plugin from Itunes.

I get this question every time I get on GMG. >:(

Offline nico1616

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
Itunes remembers everything I bought, even stuff I forgot about.  If something is not in the cloud, you can contact them for a redownload.  I did that before they had the cloud and they let me redownload the lost albums.  Just keep your receipts.  I find that policy overly generous.  I can't think of any physical store letting you have another item just because you clumsily lost the original one you bought! :D

Thanks for this information, I did not know that  ;)
Still, I think it is strange that the 'items bought' section does not contain all my purchases. This could be my fault because I have some trouble with organising my iTunesfiles. When you download a cd, iTunes stores the files somewhere and makes copies. There are standard settings for these file locations but since I changed these, my collection is a complete mess!
Yes I am clumsy, but sometimes I think iTunes is not really helping :D

A physical cdcollection still gives me a clearer view on what I own and where to find it...

Nico
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
It started when the Itunes add came on line with GMG, question is how can I stop it from appearing every time?

Subscribe.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »

QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2

QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt, .3gp and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages.

I just use Quicktime for iTunes functionality and to play the occasional .mov.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »

Sorry for the intrusion, Harry. I guess its like when I'm on my Mac and visiting a website that asks me to install Windows Media File codecs. Happens to us Mac users all the time. I resist because I hate anything Windows, but then I get bugged repeatedly.

Since you asked, I have 5 suggestions:

1. Ignore each time
2. Install the Quicktime plugin. Its free, its safe (its a standard Mac app) and once installed, you should never get bugged again.
3. Subscribe to GMG - all ads disappear like magic
4. Buy a Mac (but then you will get bugged about Windows plugins)
5. Or start a petition for me to remove that particular ad - yes, I am open to negotiations.

cheers
Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK