Author Topic: Recommendation for Shostakovich First Symphony?  (Read 5862 times)

Offline rubio

• Veteran member
Recommendation for Shostakovich First Symphony?
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:39:02 AM »
I just heard this symphony conducted by Barshai from his box set, and I must say that I liked this symphony a lot! Are there some recordings of these symphony out there that are superior to Barshai? E.g.
Ormandy, Rozhdestvensky, Stokowski?
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” Bob Marley

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
Re: Recommendation for Shostakovich First Symphony?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:05:41 AM »
I know this must come as a terrible shock to a lot of people (cough), but I really like the light touch of Ancerl in this symphony. Plus it comes with an unconventional--but IMO very effective--interpretation of the 5th symphony.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:19:24 AM »
I know this must come as a terrible shock to a lot of people (cough), but I really like the light touch of Ancerl in this symphony. Plus it comes with an unconventional--but IMO very effective--interpretation of the 5th symphony.

*Ahem*

George

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
I just heard this symphony conducted by Barshai from his box set, and I must say that I liked this symphony a lot! Are there some recordings of these symphony out there that are superior to Barshai? E.g.

See above.  8)

Offline rubio

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »
See above.  8)

That one is interesting. Do you have recommendations for any more Rozhdestvensky Shostakovich symphonies (and which labels)? I have read his cycle is a bit up and down, so maybe I should go for individual releases.
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” Bob Marley

George

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »
That one is interesting. Do you have recommendations for any more Rozhdestvensky Shostakovich symphonies (and which labels)? I have read his cycle is a bit up and down, so maybe I should go for individual releases.

I'd say start with the CD that has #1 and #3. If it clicks for you like it did for me you'll want to get them all.

But - that won't be easy to do. Worth it though, IMO. I have more than half of them and haven't come across any unevenness in the cycle, nor have I read of one.  :-\

Offline val

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:02 PM »
Two suggestions:

Ancerl with the Czech Philharmonic

Effrem Kurtz, with the Philharmoniaq

Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »

I can't say that its superior to any of those but I still love the DG Bernstein coupled with 7

Steve

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »
Eugene Ormandy.

Danny

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 11:14:42 PM »
Jansons on the EMI Classics Encore label is a cheap, well played First. :)

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »
First of all, the Barshai is excellent, I agree.  Bernstein did two excellent recordings of it, one on a two CD set with the 7th with the Chicago Sym.  That is the preferred of the two Bernstein recordings of the 7th, but his earlier NYPO recording of #1 is just as good a performance, though not in as good sound.  I recommend both.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 06:13:11 AM by RebLem »
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 11:56:17 PM »
I like my Ormandy CD on Sony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).