Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 870344 times)

(: premont :) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #6920 on: December 13, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
They are indeed excellent. Coincidentally, I just pressed the ‘buy’ button on my cart which includes performances by that conductor (Grzegorz Nowak).

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #6921 on: December 15, 2017, 05:07:18 AM »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6922 on: December 15, 2017, 05:44:32 AM »

A reissue worth exploring.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #6923 on: December 15, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
Bizarre !!

All the cover art from that series is in the same style, and probably by the same artist
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=p90x%3A1&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3AChailly+mahler&keywords=Chailly+mahler&ie=UTF8&qid=1513369549

At this point, it seems only M3 and M10 are needed to give us a complete Chailly DVD cycle.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #6924 on: December 15, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
All the cover art from that series is in the same style, and probably by the same artist
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=p90x%3A1&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3AChailly+mahler&keywords=Chailly+mahler&ie=UTF8&qid=1513369549

Neo Rauch ... the some of the amazon blurbs mention him, i.e. for No. 8:

Mahlers Eighth Symphony is arguably the grandest and most ambitious piece of symphonic music ever written. The composer himself regarded it as his opus summum, and an incredible number of participants at the hugely successful Munich première in 1910 earned it the nickname Symphony of a Thousand. At Leipzigs International Mahler Festival, Riccardo Chailly commanded almost 500 musicians, and the overwhelming result of their joint effort inspired the Leipzig-based and internationally renowned artist Neo Rauch to the painting for the cover of this DVD.

... for No. 2:

The Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra and their Music Director Riccardo Chailly have already acquired legendary status glorious reviews and many awards for their recordings testifying to their continuing success. At Leipzigs International Mahler Festival, to mark the centenary of Mahlers death, they performed his monumental Second Symphony in the Gewandhaus together with two marvellous soloists and choral forces quite beyond compare. About the final movement the composer said: The increasing tension, working up to the final climax, is so tremendous that I dont know myself, now that it is over, how I ever came to write it. The painting ""Morgenrot"" was chosen by internationally acclaimed artist Neo Rauch to feature on the cover of this release on DVD and Blu-ray.

Not sure what art market finds about him ... I've seen a couple of paintings in real that I found, uhm, kinda interesting, but ... art market is mostly dirty rich assholes stealing peoples' money these days, it seems.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:53:44 PM by king ubu »
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #6925 on: December 15, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »

A reissue worth exploring.

I was wondering if that one would ever see the light of day again.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #6926 on: December 15, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
Neo Rauch ... the some of the amazon blurbs mention him, i.e. for No. 8:

... for No. 2:

Not sure what art market finds about him ... I've seen a couple of paintings in real that I found, uhm, kinda interesting, but ... art market is mostly dirty rich assholes stealing peoples' money these days, it seems.

I've not heard of him except for these DVDs. I will only note that if an artist receives a good review from a critic in Andorra and a good review from a critic in Lichtenstein, he can claim he meets the literal definition of the term "internationally acclaimed", although perhaps a good review in Luxembourg is required for the status of "internationally renowned".
 >:D >:D ::)

For what it's worth I have those two DVDs, the Second and the Eighth, which were the first two released. The Second was excellent, the Eighth merely well performed, and I never had the motivation to get more of the series.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6927 on: December 15, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
Brianites, take notice: not new releases, but new packaging, i believe:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/havergal-brian-symphonien-nr-1-the-gothic-1-2-4-6-8-12-11-15-17-18-20-26-28-29-31-32/hnum/7899127

At 39.99€ for 11 discs, this has strong appeal to the collector. I wonder if they are in 11 jewel cases, or a space saving box ?

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #6928 on: December 16, 2017, 01:08:02 AM »
Looks like envelopes.....

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #6929 on: December 16, 2017, 01:17:17 AM »
Looks like envelopes.....

Q

That's how they re-packaged the Shosti cycle by Petrenko ... makes much mores sense than those old bloated boxes with jewel case packaging and a wrapper ...but then jewel cases are still the best to preserve CDs without glue and scratches and all.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6930 on: December 16, 2017, 06:23:26 AM »
Could be envelopes, or just the discs’ leaflets.

If someone buys that Brian set, a follow up on this (jewel cases vs envelopes) would be most welcome !  :)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #6931 on: December 16, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

Wolfgang Rubsam, Bach Cello Suites

https://www.wolfgangrubsam.com/so/bM1XNDK0?cid=0931d637-de54-4f84-8eed-ecac13769147&region=51b72952-5457-4e0f-aff9-e8e8550e95b3#/main

Bach was known for re-arranging his own works. This album adds counterpoint and harmonic awareness to the famed Cello Solo lines of Suites 4,5,6, - BWV1010-1012
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:39:23 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #6932 on: December 16, 2017, 09:12:23 PM »

Wolfgang Rubsam, Bach Cello Suites

https://www.wolfgangrubsam.com/so/bM1XNDK0?cid=0931d637-de54-4f84-8eed-ecac13769147&region=51b72952-5457-4e0f-aff9-e8e8550e95b3#/main

Yes I just saw this, I have waited for it in tension. As far as I understand him, the other three suites are to follow.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #6933 on: December 17, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Yes I just saw this, I have waited for it in tension. As far as I understand him, the other three suites are to follow.

I've listened to 1012, it's really imaginative.

The way Rübsam handles the voices, it doesn't make for the sort of tension and release  that Asperen aims for (I've been listenening to Asperen's EMI Louis Couperin.)  Rubsam's art isn't dramatic, it's more static and abstract, the voices aren't interacting in a living breathing way. I remember years ago I found something Walcha said about how some of Bach's music was "still", like Renaissance music he said I think. I'll try to find it again. 

I may write to Rübsam, see what he thinks about Asperen and Walcha, about drama and stillness.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:46:25 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK