Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1059623 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #13860 on: January 06, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »

Lydia Maria Blank Pasquini.

I am very ambivalent as to purchasing this or not.
On the one hand Lydia Blank recommends herself.
On the other hand it is the opposite with Pasquini.
res severa verum gaudium

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #13861 on: January 06, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
I am very ambivalent as to purchasing this or not.
On the one hand Lydia Blank recommends herself.
On the other hand it is the opposite with Pasquini.

Well I have held off buying it for similar reasons.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #13862 on: January 06, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
If you get it I hope you'll post your impressions. I think D959 is really hard to pull off -- I like Pollini very much with it.
D959 is actually my favourite Schubert sonata by a very slight margin over D960. Also technically the least difficult major piano work by Schubert, but yes, very hard to interpret. I'd love to be able to pull it off myself someday. (Don't know the Pollini—I really liked Cooper's first recording on Ottavo, much better than her remake, even though they're almost identical in every substantive way. That's the kind of thing I mean by "difficult to interpret", lol. Also Arrau. Planning on listening to Serkin before buying, though I know I'm probably gonna end up with it anyway)

I will report on the Zacharias if I ever end up acquiring it, maybe a cheap used copy will turn up eventually or something.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #13863 on: January 06, 2017, 11:28:27 PM »
D959 is actually my favourite Schubert sonata by a very slight margin over D960. Also technically the least difficult major piano work by Schubert, but yes, very hard to interpret. I'd love to be able to pull it off myself someday. (Don't know the Pollini—I really liked Cooper's first recording on Ottavo, much better than her remake, even though they're almost identical in every substantive way. That's the kind of thing I mean by "difficult to interpret", lol. Also Arrau. Planning on listening to Serkin before buying, though I know I'm probably gonna end up with it anyway)

I will report on the Zacharias if I ever end up acquiring it, maybe a cheap used copy will turn up eventually or something.

So in the second movement you've got this outburst, a commotion. How do you make sense of that? I think you have to introduce some edginess in the music that comes before, including the first movement. And possibly the music that comes after, right till the end. You have to make the outburst appear like the climax of something. Schnabel does this well, as does Arrau and maybe Lonquich.

My notes on Arrau are rather strange. I said, "interesting because it's like a dream, which becomes nightmarish in the middle of the second movelment."

Serkin makes the piano sound like an orchestra. Sokolov also worth hearing, I think there are a couple of recordings, if you can't find them let me know.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:32:05 PM by Mandryka »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #13864 on: January 06, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »
I've just listened to Pollini actually and while I like it, I don't love it. It makes me more curious to hear the Zacharias MDG recording though.

Schnabel just barely avoids being a favourite, mostly because he somewhat trivialises the last movement (especially 4:48-5:56, another passage that I think is key to the whole work—played very dramatically, as though he felt he had to "do something" with it). He is still my preferred Schubert interpreter in general, but the last movements of D959 and 960 are slight missteps. I don't care so much about the last movement of D960 though. That movement also might be a misstep on Schubert's part lmao.

Arrau is a favourite, as I said—performance of the Andantino is probably ideal in terms of building tension, making the outburst come from nowhere but so that we're already on edge when it starts. I think you can get a lot of "edge" throughout the work just by playing what's in the score (not just the notes, but also Schubert's dynamics and accents); this is a visionary and boldly experimental sonata, full of passion and rage but not ruled by them, often creating tension out of its stillness. (The first movement of 960 also has this quality.) Arrau's first movement builds tension through its moments of stillness; the second movement, despite its few notes and slow tempo, manages to actually avoid stillness, alone out of performances I've heard, and takes us into the heart of the drama.

I haven't heard the Serkin yet so no comments, but that is one of his abilities, I suppose. I feel like in this piece I prefer the piano to sound like a piano.

Offline Orpheus

« Reply #13865 on: January 10, 2017, 03:44:31 AM »
Hello everyone!

Please let me know any opinions about Ludwig Guttler in general, and if there are any differences between the following boxes:

Warmly thanks in advance!  ;)

Offline Orpheus

« Reply #13866 on: January 10, 2017, 03:54:58 AM »
Worth buying?

I've noticed there are missing recordings by Dutoit/Montreal: Berlioz major works  (included in other box), Tchaikovsky Symphonies (4-5-6), Kodaly, Rossini, Shostakovich Symphonies (1,5,9,15), Rodrigo, Haydn (Paris Symphonies), Stravinsky rarities, Elgar etc.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #13867 on: January 10, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »
Güttler when playing uses a modern "piccolo" trumpet and while the baroque style of 1980s East Germany took some inspiration from HIP it is usually on modern instruments and closer what one gets from e.g. Marriner or Leppard. In his more recent recordings Güttler as a conductor is still usually using modern instruments but more HIP influenced.

In any case, there are several pieces by lesser known (usually central German) baroque composers that may be the only available in Güttler's recordings and certainly the only ones on modern instruments.
If one does not insist on old instruments and strictly historic style they are pretty good.

The boxes seem rather different, the light grey one has far more vocal works (Hasse, Zelenka, Bach's St. John's Passion). Cannot tell you more about the details as I only have a handful of single discs not these boxes.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Orpheus

« Reply #13868 on: January 10, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »
Güttler when playing uses a modern "piccolo" trumpet and while the baroque style of 1980s East Germany took some inspiration from HIP it is usually on modern instruments and closer what one gets from e.g. Marriner or Leppard. In his more recent recordings Güttler as a conductor is still usually using modern instruments but more HIP influenced.

In any case, there are several pieces by lesser known (usually central German) baroque composers that may be the only available in Güttler's recordings and certainly the only ones on modern instruments.
If one does not insist on old instruments and strictly historic style they are pretty good.

The boxes seem rather different, the light grey one has far more vocal works (Hasse, Zelenka, Bach's St. John's Passion). Cannot tell you more about the details as I only have a handful of single discs not these boxes.

Thank you Jo for your reply. Hip or not hip is not a problem for me. Main interest is rare repertoire, but I have never listen to any recordings by Guttler.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #13869 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
Unless you do not want to get too many standards by Bach (Xmas oratorio, St. John, Brandenburgs, Suites) the grey box seems preferable. The black one is far more focussed on the trumpet/corno da caccia, even the few vocal selection probably focus on solos for these instruments and tbh a lot of these concerti and chamber music they dug out of the archives is not that memorable.

The grey box has more interesting concerts for the Dresden orchestra (18-21), only discs 3 and 24 seem to mainly focus on trumpe/corno solos and I'd guess that the discs dedicated to Zelenka and Hasse etc. (1,2,8,22,23) might be worth the moderate price (25 EUR for 25 discs from jpc! although there is probably not going to be much documentation)
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #13870 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »

Joachim Held, music from Milan.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #13871 on: January 13, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
Has anyone heard either of these Bernstein Alsop recordings? If yes, how are the performances?

"In the next world I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it." - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #13872 on: January 13, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Hurwitz loves 'em. I listened to the new 1 & 2 disc and enjoyed it a lot, but don't know the music intimately well and can't readily compare. Thibaudet is his usual graceful, excellent self. Will probably listen again.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #13873 on: January 13, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
Hurwitz loves 'em. I listened to the new 1 & 2 disc and enjoyed it a lot, but don't know the music intimately well and can't readily compare. Thibaudet is his usual graceful, excellent self. Will probably listen again.

Cool, many thanks, Brian. :)
"In the next world I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it." - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13874 on: January 13, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
Well done, Ms Alsop!  I am very well content with “Lenny’s Own” in these, so I am not just at present in this market;  but it is very nice to see more performances/recordings of these symphonies.

(So, Brian . . . is she done with the Prokofiev cycle?  I’m quite out of that loop . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #13875 on: January 13, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
Indeed. It's always a good thing to see Lenny's music flourish without his own assistance. IIRC, James Judd has done some good Bernstein on Naxos as well.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #13876 on: January 13, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
(So, Brian . . . is she done with the Prokofiev cycle?  I’m quite out of that loop . . . .)
Just checked. Looks like only 7 remains, unless she is doing both versions of 4.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13877 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Just checked. Looks like only 7 remains, unless she is doing both versions of 4.

Well, the original Op.47 would fit neatly together with the Op.131 on a single disc, I should think . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #13878 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:38 AM »
Speaking of Prokofiev symphony cycles, I wonder how Karabits' cycle is on the Onyx label? Has anyone heard it?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #13879 on: January 14, 2017, 05:20:22 AM »

Jean Rondeau is earning quite a reputation these days. This disc of Rameau and Pancrace Royer harpsichord pieces gets 5* from just about everybody on Amazon. Intriguing

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK