Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1266655 times)

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14100 on: May 14, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
Anyone know if the sound quality of these 2 are the same/different?

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #14101 on: May 14, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »
Very Impressive period line up. :) I'd love to have Schoonderwoerd, and possibly Bezuidenhout when complete.
If you want more Van Oort is a wonderful set IMO .

Q

Not at all familiar with Van Oort so far ... but his name has popped up here and there, so eventually I'll hear some of his stuff.
Bezuidenhout, I think, has been complete for a while (eight discs, one or two of the volumes are doubles). The PBS was acquired in bits (six separate used discs) last year, following a discussion here. Haven't explored it in depth, his is usually not an approach that I find instantly captivating, but one that deserves to be heard nonetheless.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14102 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
Anyone know if the sound quality of these 2 are the same/different?

Documents is a pirate label that appears to do straight rips of existing sets.  I can't imagine they sound different, but since I have the EMI box already, I'll never know for sure.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #14103 on: May 15, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »
Documents already re-did the Marcelle Meyer set (which I have, the Nat I decided not to get).
I was told by a reliable source that they do pay some licensing fees (to the original label, I assume - not to the musician, as the stuff is all PD in Europe anyway), some fix advance plus a small percentage or something.

I generally have very little respect for their sets, and worse than just straight copies, at least in the field of jazz they even did some (partly, I assume, didn't bother to check completely) MP3-sourced boxes. Also some very crappy ones (i.e. ten discs, most of them 30 minutes, historical stuff but totally without any chronological sequence and thus impossible to compile good information about contents ... all they offer is a tracklist per disc, no years, no line-ups, no-nothing), some faux-serious ones (liner notes that appear competent but say nothing - a specialty of many a pirate/PD label) ... but also some "good" ones like licensed reissues of some items originally on the Candid label.

Also, NCA belongs to Documents as well ... they seem to have a monopoly on some of the finest Mendelssohn string quartet cycles these days, and there's more that looks alright there ... those are more recent recordings, so I would assume royalties have to go in all directions, but what do I know, record labels have a long history of screwing artists ("we don't have any contact data", but dude is listed in the phone book, that kind of crap).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #14104 on: May 17, 2017, 06:21:59 AM »
Interesting that the set includes the complete sonatas of that neglected composer, Beethovens. People would often get his name mixed up with his more famous German near-namesake, hence his neglect.

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #14105 on: May 17, 2017, 06:57:46 AM »
Interesting that the set includes the complete sonatas of that neglected composer, Beethovens. People would often get his name mixed up with his more famous German near-namesake, hence his neglect.
Good catch !

The back of the the box has a rather phony orchestra/conductor combo as well for the Schumann:

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #14106 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
No, the orchestra and conductor for the Schumann are correct. The recording is listed in the discography at the end, as one made for HMV

http://www.musimem.com/bigot.htm
Enregistrements avec orchestre non précisé :

Emmanuel Chabrier : Cortège Burlesque (Magnis)
Edouard Lalo : Scherzo (Magnis)
Ambroise Thomas : Mignon, ouverture -Grand Prix du Disque 1931- (Columbia)
Robert Schumann : Concerto pour piano en la mineur op.54, avec Yves Nat (Columbia) –Grand Prix du Disque 1934
W-A Mozart : Concerto n° 24 en ut mineur, KV 491, avec Robert Casadesus (Columbia)
C-M von Weber : Concerstück op.79, avec Robert Casadesus (Columbia)
W-A Mozart : Concerto pour flûte n° 1 en sol majeur, KV 313, avec Marcel Moyse (Gramophone)
Jacques Ibert : Concerto pour flûte, avec Marcel Moyse (Gramophone)
Josef Haydn : Concerto pour clavier n° 11 en ré majeur, op.21, avec Wanda Landowska (Gramophone/Voix de son Maître)
J-S Bach: Concerto pour clavecin n° 1 en ré mineur BWV 1052, avec Wanda Landowska (Voix de son Maître)
G-F Haendel : Concerto pour orgue en mi bémol majeur n° 4 op.6 (version clavecin), avec Wanda Landowska (Voix de son Maître)
W-A Mozart : Concerto n° 17 en sol KV 453, avec Gaby Casadesus (Polydor)
Gabriel Fauré : Fantaisie op.111, avec Gaby Casadesus (Polydor)

Anyone here ever hear any of Bigot's compositions?

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #14107 on: May 18, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »
Koželuch, Leopold (1747-1818) - Keyboard Sonatas - Kemp English vs. Jenny Kim, both on fortepiano - at the moment, I own just the first volume of these works by Kemp English (shown above); now reading the May-June issue of Fanfare which has a review of Kim on Brilliant (V.2) - attached are a couple of reviews of each keyboardist in these performances.  Now, I need to listen to my sole CD but the composer wrote about 50 extant KB sonatas (according to the Fanfare comments) - SO, if I enjoy a re-listening to this disc, I'm in a quandary as to whether to continue w/ English or start w/ the bargain 2-CD sets w/ Kim on Brilliant.

My question is whether anyone has heard both of these Koželuch performers and if there is a preference - thanks.  Dave :)

Note: English now has 9 volumes on Amazon, not sure if more are to come or better yet will be 'boxed' into an attractive bargain package?

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #14108 on: June 03, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
Anyone heard this coupling here?

I don't believe I have any recordings of him conducting Mahler.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14109 on: June 05, 2017, 11:03:28 PM »

Pomerium Busnois.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14110 on: June 07, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

It's been out since January.  I have no idea who Norman Krieger is, and for all I know he's doing the Vanessa Benelli Mosell thing and producing his own stuff for distribution by a major, but it's intriguing nonetheless.

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #14111 on: June 07, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
How about this:

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14112 on: June 07, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »
How about this:

Depending on price, it's worth it for the 50s recordings alone.  Plus it has the recordings from the 20s through 70s. 

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #14113 on: June 07, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »

Depending on price, it's worth it for the 50s recordings alone.  Plus it has the recordings from the 20s through 70s.
There is a copy on ebay for about $20 but it has no outer cardboard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilhelm-Kempff-Kempff-The-Concerto-Recordings-14-CD-Box-set-Audio-CD-/222491549723?hash=item33cd87a01b:g:fj4AAOxypNtSijLB

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14114 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
There is a copy on ebay for about $20 but it has no outer cardboard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilhelm-Kempff-Kempff-The-Concerto-Recordings-14-CD-Box-set-Audio-CD-/222491549723?hash=item33cd87a01b:g:fj4AAOxypNtSijLB

There's an Amazon MP seller with a set sans box for around the same price, though it's listed as used.  I don't know how important the box is to you.  If the discs are all fine, the price looks right to me.

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #14115 on: June 08, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »

There's an Amazon MP seller with a set sans box for around the same price, though it's listed as used.  I don't know how important the box is to you.  If the discs are all fine, the price looks right to me.
It would be nice to have the box so the item at least has some kind of resale value just in case(pun?). But at that price you can't argue as you said.

Anywhere I can get this set at a reasonable price? The individual discs in the set are available separately I see.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #14116 on: June 10, 2017, 03:59:55 AM »

Considering for 3 reasons...

1. Includes the Christopher Hogwood editions, which I'm not sure I even knew existed. This edition replaces the "cadenza" movement in the Reformation Symphony which is right before the finale.
2. I believe Mendelssohn symphonies sound better with a reduced size band, and the few samples I heard from this release reiterate that for me.
3. Mendelssohn was a damn fine composer.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14117 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »

Peter Philips Josquin Missa De Beata Virgine
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14118 on: June 10, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »

I'm considering getting the high res download directly from the Berlin Philharmonic.  It's $50, and purchasers get not one, but seven different download formats with the purchase. 

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snarling at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #14119 on: June 10, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »

Considering for 3 reasons...

1. Includes the Christopher Hogwood editions, which I'm not sure I even knew existed. This edition replaces the "cadenza" movement in the Reformation Symphony which is right before the finale.
2. I believe Mendelssohn symphonies sound better with a reduced size band, and the few samples I heard from this release reiterate that for me.
3. Mendelssohn was a damn fine composer.

I like your bullet-point. And I'm interested in this Mendelssohn set as well, especially after an impressive Nezet-Seguin Dvorak 6 & 7 I recently picked up, which compares well to some of the big guns in this repertoire (Szell, Harnoncourt, Kertesz).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK