Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1296859 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14220 on: September 20, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
This is wonderful!

Thanks. I love this one too (Naxos Leonin, Perotin, Tonus Peregrinus) and am looking for more similar recordings.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #14221 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »

Seriously now, I really like Perotin's music and I really feel it is melodic.

If a man changes his mind, he does not contradict himself in the strictest sense. He only contradicts his former self.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14222 on: September 25, 2017, 07:16:23 AM »

More Korean market titles that caught my eye.  The Shiyeon Sung Mahler looks intriguing.  I've never heard a woman conduct Mahler.  A performance of her conducting the Fifth is available on YouTube, but I don't know if it's the same performance as this one.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14223 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
This is an intriguing set, 3 cds that seem to be available as a "house product" of JPC for only 9.99€:

Contents described in the booklet, available as a pdf download in this link, just below the set's picture at the left:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/weimarer-klassik-musikalische-kostbarkeiten-aus-thueringer-archiven/hnum/3448272

Clips seem to reveal some quite interesting music.

Anyone heard it and can comment ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:15:47 AM by André »

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #14224 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »
This one:

I already have Thomson and Valek, plus a few one-offs.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #14225 on: October 04, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »
Does anyone know enough about the recordings in this set to comment on their quality?  I'm interested in the Bach Motets and the Dufay specifically.

I ordered this a few weeks ago, but it's finally shipped and will be arriving soon.  Updates to follow.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Eduard Tubin (1905 - 1982)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of the Night Herdsmen and Satanists
« Reply #14226 on: October 04, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »
This one:

Quite a fine set, but Thomson remains my favorite, FYIW.
“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #14227 on: October 04, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
This one:

I think this is currently the best set, but I've kept Thomson and Neumann for their very different approaches.  I can't now recall an impression of the Valek set, but it didn't seem worth keeping.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #14228 on: October 04, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »
Thanks for both comments. I think I will go for it. I have liked Belohlavek in some individual discs of Martinu, including Symphonies 3 and 4 recorded with another orchestra. I want an alternative to Thomson, who I thought sometimes neglected the lyrical character of the music to draw forth the maximum drama.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is sniping at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #14229 on: October 04, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
This one:

As other have mentioned, it's a great set. I have one disc of Thomson but find him overly slow.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #14230 on: October 04, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
As other have mentioned, it's a great set. I have one disc of Thomson but find him overly slow.

Ok, that pushed me over the edge, ordered. Now I have to wait by my mailbox since it is coming across the vast ocean.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    The WTC
« Reply #14231 on: October 06, 2017, 05:47:22 AM »
I want to get more of the clarinet repertoire.  I have Stoltzman's disc of Mozart with the Tokyo String Quartet, and it's fabulous. But I've heard some of his crossover and think its pretty weak. Just a few discs of that here, so not a deal-breaker. However, I don't know if his other work is as good as the Mozart, or if there is a better clarinet box somewhere...

It's all good...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Eduard Tubin (1905 - 1982)
    The sound of the Night Herdsmen and Satanists
« Reply #14232 on: October 06, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »
I want to get more of the clarinet repertoire.  I have Stoltzman's disc of Mozart with the Tokyo String Quartet, and it's fabulous. But I've heard some of his crossover and think its pretty weak. Just a few discs of that here, so not a deal-breaker. However, I don't know if his other work is as good as the Mozart, or if there is a better clarinet box somewhere...

His recording with Tashi of Messiaen’s Quatuor pour la fin du temps is one of the best on record and I also enjoyed his recording of Copland’s Clarinet Concerto. Very talented clarinetist who, unfortunately, like Yo-Yo Ma and the like has felt the need to do more ‘popular’ stuff, but Stoltzman’s best work is in that box set or, at least, judging from the set’s contents. If you don’t own the afore mentioned performances and like some of the other repertoire, I say go for it.
“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #14233 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:59 AM »
I think Stoltzman has an ugly clarinet tone. I'd rather go with Sabine Meyer, Sharon Kam or European players of an older generation like Leister. 
But some people beg to differ and of course one can argue that he has enough other qualities. There are probably no other "clarinet boxes" and some of the repertoire looks interesting. But it's not for me because I cannot bear listening to the sounds he makes.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #14234 on: October 06, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
Scarpia, I'm late to the party here but I also think that Belohlavek cycle is tops, with Thomson a rung down. I don't much value Jarvi or Valek and the Fagen (Naxos) cycle would be competitive if it had been recorded more professionally.

Belohlavek really masters the rhythmic drive of Martinu and I think the sound quality is a little less distant than the Supraphon disc which you are probably referring to.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #14235 on: October 06, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
Scarpia, I'm late to the party here but I also think that Belohlavek cycle is tops, with Thomson a rung down. I don't much value Jarvi or Valek and the Fagen (Naxos) cycle would be competitive if it had been recorded more professionally.

Belohlavek really masters the rhythmic drive of Martinu and I think the sound quality is a little less distant than the Supraphon disc which you are probably referring to.

Good for peace of mind as I wait for the set to arrive.  :)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #14236 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »
I've had the Belohlavek & Jarvi sets (currently only own the former) and honestly don't hear massive differences between them, but everyone else seems to. Neumann is the only essential alternative imo.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #14237 on: October 06, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
I've had the Belohlavek & Jarvi sets (currently only own the former) and honestly don't hear massive differences between them, but everyone else seems to. Neumann is the only essential alternative imo.

does that mean if only one, one should get Neumann's or that one could get any of the three?
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #14238 on: October 06, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
does that mean if only one, one should get Neumann's or that one could get any of the three?

In principal, I would be interested in Neumann, but in the past I have tended to prefer Belohlavek performances. It was off my radar since it does not seem to be distributed in the U.S., currently.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #14239 on: October 06, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »
any of the three IMO

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK