Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1298233 times)

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14240 on: October 06, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
I want to get more of the clarinet repertoire.  I have Stoltzman's disc of Mozart with the Tokyo String Quartet, and it's fabulous. But I've heard some of his crossover and think its pretty weak. Just a few discs of that here, so not a deal-breaker. However, I don't know if his other work is as good as the Mozart, or if there is a better clarinet box somewhere...

Check into the Sabine Meyer sets. Some but not all of it covers the same ground. Frankly,  the Stoltzman recordings fall into three categories for me:
Stuff I have in other recordings
Stuff I'm not interested in.
The Copland, Ives, and Finzi recordings.
IOW, three CDs in that set I actually want. Simply not enough to justify getting the set.
So I guess it comes down to how many recordings in that set are actually of interest to you.
(Of course, if it ever goes to Super super Duper Cheap status, my interest would be much higher.)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14241 on: October 06, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »

Any comments on this ?

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is sniping at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #14242 on: October 07, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »
Neumann is the only essential alternative imo.

Belohlavek's partial Supraphon set is certainly not a backwater.   
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Peter Sculthorpe (1929 - 2014)
    The sweltering heat of the Outback
« Reply #14243 on: October 07, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »
Belohlavek's partial Supraphon set is certainly not a backwater.

+1 His performance of Symphony No. 3 w/ the CzPO may very well be the best on record IMHO.
"The inspiration for my work comes from areas spanning the stark regions of Newfoundland to the lush and fertile valleys of the South. The landscapes offer me form; the people I've met in these places give them color.” - Peter Sculthorpe

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    The WTC
« Reply #14244 on: October 07, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
Thank you guys for the comments on the Stoltzman set.  I'm interested in it, but will hold off or now and see if it falls to more of a bargain price in the future...
It's all good...

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #14245 on: October 07, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »

More Korean market titles that caught my eye.  The Shiyeon Sung Mahler looks intriguing.  I've never heard a woman conduct Mahler.  A performance of her conducting the Fifth is available on YouTube, but I don't know if it's the same performance as this one.

I've heard part of this, on Spotify. Don't remember how I became aware of its existence, but a woman conducting Mahler intrigued me too.

Anyway, what I've heard struck me as very good indeed. (Take that with perhaps more than a grain of salt, however - I'm still a comparative dilettante in classical music.) One quibble, though, and it's what has kept me from completing the listen: the recording is not great, at least in the louder passages. There's some kind of distortion or shrillness in it. I realize, however, that that could be a function of how I was listening. Maybe the actual CD is fine.  :-\
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #14246 on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
These are (among others) on sale at jpc and elsewhere, any comments?

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14247 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
I've ordered the Ivan disc, it's been dispatched but I haven't received it yet. I have the Muti and Slatkin versions, but they are showing their age a bit, so this brand new recording should give it a fresh look. The conductor is the toast of the town in France, he has replaced Michel Plasson as MD of the Toulouse Capitole Orchestra. He's also principal conductor at the Bolshoď. If you don't know the work, you should buy this disc. At the price it's hard to go wrong.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:06:19 AM by André »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14248 on: October 14, 2017, 05:18:47 AM »

John Irving Mozart
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:13:32 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14249 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
Caught my eye at a local store:
Chopin: 2nd Sonata, Impromptus, a few Mazurkas (Laure Favre-Khan)
Chopin: Waltzes (Favre-Khan)
Dvořák: 4th Symphony (Milwaukee SO,Mácal)
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, Lt. Kije (Milwaukee SO,Mácal)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14250 on: October 19, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
Chopin: 2nd Sonata, Impromptus, a few Mazurkas (Laure Favre-Khan)
Chopin: Waltzes (Favre-Khan)

If you like willful/interventionist playing, these might work for you.  (Since taste in willfulness varies, they may not.)
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14251 on: October 19, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
If you like willful/interventionist playing, these might work for you.  (Since taste in willfulness varies, they may not.)

I sometimes like willful/interventionist playing, sometimes not. I spotified the sonata. There are some very nice things but her push-pull rubato is not for me.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK