Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1363942 times)

marvinbrown and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14240 on: October 06, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »

Any comments on this ?

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #14241 on: October 07, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »
Neumann is the only essential alternative imo.

Belohlavek's partial Supraphon set is certainly not a backwater.   
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #14242 on: October 07, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »
Belohlavek's partial Supraphon set is certainly not a backwater.

+1 His performance of Symphony No. 3 w/ the CzPO may very well be the best on record IMHO.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    The WTC
« Reply #14243 on: October 07, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
Thank you guys for the comments on the Stoltzman set.  I'm interested in it, but will hold off or now and see if it falls to more of a bargain price in the future...
It's all good...

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #14244 on: October 07, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »

More Korean market titles that caught my eye.  The Shiyeon Sung Mahler looks intriguing.  I've never heard a woman conduct Mahler.  A performance of her conducting the Fifth is available on YouTube, but I don't know if it's the same performance as this one.

I've heard part of this, on Spotify. Don't remember how I became aware of its existence, but a woman conducting Mahler intrigued me too.

Anyway, what I've heard struck me as very good indeed. (Take that with perhaps more than a grain of salt, however - I'm still a comparative dilettante in classical music.) One quibble, though, and it's what has kept me from completing the listen: the recording is not great, at least in the louder passages. There's some kind of distortion or shrillness in it. I realize, however, that that could be a function of how I was listening. Maybe the actual CD is fine.  :-\
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #14245 on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
These are (among others) on sale at jpc and elsewhere, any comments?

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14246 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
I've ordered the Ivan disc, it's been dispatched but I haven't received it yet. I have the Muti and Slatkin versions, but they are showing their age a bit, so this brand new recording should give it a fresh look. The conductor is the toast of the town in France, he has replaced Michel Plasson as MD of the Toulouse Capitole Orchestra. He's also principal conductor at the Bolshoď. If you don't know the work, you should buy this disc. At the price it's hard to go wrong.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:06:19 AM by André »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14247 on: October 14, 2017, 05:18:47 AM »

John Irving Mozart
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:13:32 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14248 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
Caught my eye at a local store:
Chopin: 2nd Sonata, Impromptus, a few Mazurkas (Laure Favre-Khan)
Chopin: Waltzes (Favre-Khan)
Dvořák: 4th Symphony (Milwaukee SO,Mácal)
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, Lt. Kije (Milwaukee SO,Mácal)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14249 on: October 19, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
Chopin: 2nd Sonata, Impromptus, a few Mazurkas (Laure Favre-Khan)
Chopin: Waltzes (Favre-Khan)

If you like willful/interventionist playing, these might work for you.  (Since taste in willfulness varies, they may not.)
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Online Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14250 on: October 19, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
If you like willful/interventionist playing, these might work for you.  (Since taste in willfulness varies, they may not.)

I sometimes like willful/interventionist playing, sometimes not. I spotified the sonata. There are some very nice things but her push-pull rubato is not for me.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14251 on: October 22, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:20:08 PM by Todd »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #14252 on: October 22, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
Caught my eye at a local store:
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, Lt. Kije (Milwaukee SO,Mácal)
If you have one or more versions, this will probably not be an upgrade. The chorus is the highlight, but only if you like it a bit softer (less edgy). They are beautiful though and they sing with greater control than most. They have their moments in Arise ye Russian People and Battle on the Ice, but even here they bring more beauty than the other stuff. If you are looking for visceral excitement, this is not the one. Speeds are generally slow, with few show stopping moments. The orchestra is ok as long as they are not strained, but I find they lose their cohesiveness on occasion and are prone to ugly sounds at times. I don't care much for the brass tone either. Still, as long as the chorus is singing, there is more to enjoy.

The buildup of Battle of the Ice is mixed, with some ugly instrument sounds, a logical tempo increase (again slow though), but less hard hitting chorus (I'd say too pretty here - I wanted some harder attacks, particularly their first entry, which feels underpowered - they get better as it goes on here). They certainly don't have the weight that many of the best versions have. The soloist for the field of the Dead is Janis Taylor. Her voice isn't particularly dark and she opens up too much at times. I don't like her voice here, but this can be quite an individual thing. Her vibrato, a bit too much at times, certainly isn't among the worst heard, and since she keeps it lighter, it doesn't annoy as some do.

it lacks the Slavic tone throughout and the lighter approach is generally something felt throughout. In and of itself, this doesn't bother me, but I felt there was a bit too much sameness in the attacks, the moderate tempi, and the moderate loudness levels (it lives mostly around mf levels). Lt. Kije seems to generate a bit more excitement at times, but they never really unleash and it is mostly restrained.  They do wake up a bit for 'Troika'. But in Burial of Kije, the sound is unbalanced and the low brass are too dominant (or the trumpet is not prominent enough). The effect is odd. 

Goosebump moments: None.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Online Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14253 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the detailed comments. I have Temirkanov and Reiner but thought it might be nice to have a version of the Cantata (Temirkanov does the full film score) that isn't translated into English (like Reiner). And I really like the Kodály disc from Mácal in Milwaukee. I went ahead and grabbed the Prokofiev and the Dvořák over the weekend. So far I’ve listened only to “The Noon Witch” which seemed more routine. The store has a generous return policy, so if my first listen aligns with your take I may not keep it.

ETA: sorry to follow the this-thread convention of asking for an opinion then buying it regardless. ???

Edit 2: fixed “Suite” to “Cantata.”
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:28:28 AM by Pat B »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #14254 on: October 23, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the detailed comments. I have Temirkanov and Reiner but thought it might be nice to have a version of the Suite (Temirkanov does the full film score) that isn't translated into English (like Reiner). And I really like the Kodály disc from Mácal in Milwaukee. I went ahead and grabbed the Prokofiev and the Dvořák over the weekend. So far I’ve listened only to “The Noon Witch” which seemed more routine. The store has a generous return policy, so if my first listen aligns with your take I may not keep it.

ETA: sorry to follow the this-thread convention of asking for an opinion then buying it regardless. ???
No worries. My favorite Nevsky is with Stokowski, who gives a scintillating performance. I'd also rather others like Schippers, Abbado, Jarvi, etc. I know Brian really liked Ancerl. The Svetlanov on ICA classics is pretty good too.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Online Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14255 on: October 23, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
No worries. My favorite Nevsky is with Stokowski, who gives a scintillating performance. I'd also rather others like Schippers, Abbado, Jarvi, etc. I know Brian really liked Ancerl. The Svetlanov on ICA classics is pretty good too.

I listened to the Mácal. The performers seemed to hold back for most of the piece, which is not the worst thing since they do step it up somewhat for the coda. But I agree with you on the brass (I have a high tolerance for ugly tone but not much tolerance for off or wobbly intonation) and the soloist. I liked the Kijé more than you did but not enough to keep the disc.

I have sampled several Fields of the Dead on spotify, including your suggestions except for Stokowski. The soprano I liked best was Avdeeva on Svetlanov’s earlier Melodiya recording, which apparently never made it to CD. :(

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #14256 on: October 23, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
I listened to the Mácal. The performers seemed to hold back for most of the piece, which is not the worst thing since they do step it up somewhat for the coda. But I agree with you on the brass (I have a high tolerance for ugly tone but not much tolerance for off or wobbly intonation) and the soloist. I liked the Kijé more than you did but not enough to keep the disc.

I have sampled several Fields of the Dead on spotify, including your suggestions except for Stokowski. The soprano I liked best was Avdeeva on Svetlanov’s earlier Melodiya recording, which apparently never made it to CD. :(

You mean this one?

EDIT: I thought I had all but one in my collection, but I don't have this one. So I just ordered it. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.  I also ordered the new Kitajenko last week (which strikes me as sounding gorgeous, but more laid back in the clips). So I am just missing the Rodzinsky in the cantata.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:50:46 PM by mc ukrneal »

Online Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14257 on: October 23, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
You mean this one?

Nice find! I didn’t think to search for “Nevski.”

This is the one on spotify. Same personnel, similar timings. It’s probably the same recording.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #14258 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:43 AM »
Nice find! I didn’t think to search for “Nevski.”

This is the one on spotify. Same personnel, similar timings. It’s probably the same recording.
It's confusing. The timings are similar, but the dates are different (one may be wrong). I have the Melodiya one, which I think it not as good as the other Svetlanov, but I did not specifically compare the soloists. Anyway, I'lllet you know if they are the same or different.

Online Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14259 on: October 24, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
It's confusing.

As is often the case with Soviet recordings.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK