Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1339190 times)

Mandryka, André and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14280 on: November 03, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »

Does anyone have a high opinion of this?

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #14281 on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:11 AM »
A definite plus. The reason I've avoided digging deep into Harnoncourt/Leonhardt is their use of boy sopranos and male altos. Historically correct, of course, but I live, thank god, in the 21st century, a time and place where we have women  ;D

Sarge

It's also historically correct that Bach was THE most exacting of music directors. So I'd lay odds he disliked boy sopranos more than we do. :D
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #14282 on: November 20, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
Sonatas & Partitas: Lucy van Dael or Ingrid Matthews? (Assuming you had to make a choice.)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14283 on: November 20, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
Sonatas & Partitas: Lucy van Dael or Ingrid Matthews? (Assuming you had to make a choice.)

Impossible to choose because they're so different. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #14284 on: November 20, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
Impossible to choose because they're so different.

Do you claim this makes sense?

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14285 on: November 20, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »

Offline Josquin13

« Reply #14286 on: November 20, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »

It's hard to offer a strong preference, either way. Matthew's violin technique is probably a little better (as Van Dael isn't hugely virtuosic), but both are interesting, good interpreters of this music.  However, neither violinist would figure into my top 2 or 3 recommendations among period recordings.

I personally prefer (1) Stanley Ritchie (Matthews' teacher), who has spent a lifetime studying, teaching, and performing this music, and plays a 1670 Jacob Stainer--a violin that Bach owned (yes, it makes a world of difference!), (2) Helene Schmitt's more rhythmically free, soulful interpretations, and perhaps (3) Sigiswald Kuijken's pioneering recording--which I haven't heard in a long time, and (4) Amadine Beyer. Though I've yet to hear François Fernandez, Rachel Podger, & Enrico Onofri's recordings.  Among other period violinists, I'd be very keen to hear the brilliant Anton Steck play them, along with Alina Ibragimova (should she record a second period set, as she's already done them on a modern violin), Chiara Banchini, Enrico Gatti, Stefano Montanari, Enrico Casazza, and especially, Pablo Valetti.  Most of whom I'd probably prefer to van Dael & Matthews--though that's just my opinion (& I hope I haven't confused you more):

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:41:51 PM by Que »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #14287 on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »
Among other period violinists, I'd be very keen to hear the brilliant Anton Steck play them, along with Alina Ibragimova (should she record a second period set, as she's already done them on a modern violin), Chiara Banchini, Enrico Gatti, Stefano Montanari, Enrico Casazza, and especially, Pablo Valetti.  Most of whom I'd probably prefer to van Dael & Matthews--though that's just my opinion (& I hope I haven't confused you more):

I owned this, but parted with it again. So much Italian gusto does spoil the music.

https://www.amazon.it/Bach-Sonate-Partite-Montanari-Stefano/dp/B00R7APRR2/ref=sr_1_12?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1511216080&sr=1-12&keywords=stefano+montanari
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:43:36 PM by Que »
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #14288 on: November 21, 2017, 06:44:16 AM »
It's hard to offer a strong preference, either way. Matthew's violin technique is probably a little better (as Van Dael isn't hugely virtuosic), but both are interesting, good interpreters of this music.  However, neither violinist would figure into my top 2 or 3 recommendations among period recordings.

I personally prefer (1) Stanley Ritchie (Matthews' teacher), who has spent a lifetime studying, teaching, and performing this music, and plays a 1670 Jacob Stainer--a violin that Bach owned (yes, it makes a world of difference!), (2) Helene Schmitt's more rhythmically free, soulful interpretations, and perhaps (3) Sigiswald Kuijken's pioneering recording--which I haven't heard in a long time, and (4) Amadine Beyer. Though I've yet to hear François Fernandez, Rachel Podger, & Enrico Onofri's recordings.  Among other period violinists, I'd be very keen to hear the brilliant Anton Steck play them, along with Alina Ibragimova (should she record a second period set, as she's already done them on a modern violin), Chiara Banchini, Enrico Gatti, Stefano Montanari, Enrico Casazza, and especially, Pablo Valetti.  Most of whom I'd probably prefer to van Dael & Matthews--though that's just my opinion (& I hope I haven't confused you more)
It's ok, these are good, nerdy opinions that I like.

I have and like Lucy van Dael's accompanied sonatas with Asperen, and have easy access to her cycle; and gave Ingrid Matthews top marks in a blind comparison recently-ish.

I own: Viktoria Mullova (Onyx/period instruments), Gidon Kremer (ECM), Amandine Beyer.
I am also considering: John Holloway, Rachel Podger, Sirka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pilch, Sergiu Luca, Midori Seiler (what's with the ultra slow BWV 1005???), Christine Busch
I am not at this moment considering: Jaap Schröder, Sigiswald Kuijken, Monica Huggett, any modern-instrument recordings (unless someone were to single out Isabelle Faust, Antje Weithaas or David Grimal as particularly exceptional)

Any further opinions will also be appreciated

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #14289 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »

I have and like Lucy van Dael's accompanied sonatas with Asperen, and have easy access to her cycle; and gave Ingrid Matthews top marks in a blind comparison recently-ish.

I own: Viktoria Mullova (Onyx/period instruments), Gidon Kremer (ECM), Amandine Beyer.
I am also considering: John Holloway, Rachel Podger, Sirka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pilch, Sergiu Luca, Midori Seiler (what's with the ultra slow BWV 1005???), Christine Busch
I am not at this moment considering: Jaap Schröder, Sigiswald Kuijken, Monica Huggett, any modern-instrument recordings (unless someone were to single out Isabelle Faust, Antje Weithaas or David Grimal as particularly exceptional)

I would say go for Podger, although I haven't got any of the others you are mulling over.....
You might also want to check into the accompanied sonatas she did with Pinnock.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #14290 on: November 21, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »

IMO go for the one you liked blind, even though it wasn’t exhaustive.

FWIW, my choice there was Christine Busch, which will be my next purchase of this music, with Matthews at #2.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #14291 on: Today at 12:01:09 PM »
@amw: okay, let me single out Isabelle Faust then .... heard her do the six in concert, too. One of my favourite recent recordings (Beyer and Schmitt are two others). Not sure it's a modern version btw but a far from my collection right now.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #14292 on: Today at 12:06:22 PM »
@amw: okay, let me single out Isabelle Faust then .... heard her do the six in concert, too. One of my favourite recent recordings (Beyer and Schmitt are two others). Not sure it's a modern version btw but a far from my collection right now.
I'm pretty sure it is, a sort of companion to the cello suites by Queyras.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #14293 on: Today at 12:09:13 PM »

I also like Gidon Kremer's ECM 2008 recording.

Definitely not HIP but his muscular and energetic performance is worth hearing.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14294 on: Today at 01:36:16 PM »

I personally prefer (1) Stanley Ritchie (Matthews' teacher), who has spent a lifetime studying, teaching, and performing this music, and plays a 1670 Jacob Stainer--a violin that Bach owned (yes, it makes a world of difference!)

It certainly is a distinctive and rich sounding instrument, at least on the spotify stream. The recording has never won a place in my heart, and it's not easy for me to say why. I find it heavy. It seems expressive in a dramatic way, rather than the intimate way which I like. But what I'm not sure about is whether part of this is just because of the transfer on Spotify, Spotify transfers are sometimes really misleading. 

I'll be very curious to hear what others think because I'm not sure whether to spend some money and buy the CD - clearly Ritchie's view of the music is informed.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK