Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1797704 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15080 on: February 16, 2019, 12:01:14 AM »

Yes I know, it's Couperin on piano. (And I still have mixed feelings about the Kolesnikov.) Any opinions despite that?

Here's a video:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rp6r0
I really didn't like Kolesnikov and this already seems better. BUT I can't find this on any streaming, itunes or even amazon.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #15081 on: February 16, 2019, 12:26:44 AM »
Hi All - I'm currently reading the book on classic music below - really an excellent introduction and 'refresher' course for me - however, a nice 'starter' book for newbies - I'm on the several pages about Francois Couperin - already own plenty of CDs but was checking Amazon to see if there are any 'new' offerings on his harpsichord music - I currently own the Michael Borgstede box, but just saw that Olivier Baumont's set is now selling for only $26 USD on Amazon Prime - any comparative comments between these two performances/recordings? A review of Borgstede is attached.  Also, I know that others have recorded these works in toto or in large parts but many are OOP, hard to find, or overly expensive, BUT if other recommendations are in order, please comment.  Thanks as usual - Dave :)

I never liked Borgstede's F. Couperin much, and contrary to my expectations (he is one of my favourite harpsichordists) I wasn’t quite thrilled by Baumont. Haven't got an easy suggestion for a complete Couperin cycle on harpsichord, I'm afraid.

Hold out for a reissue of Christophe Rousset. Hopefully that might be soon.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #15082 on: February 16, 2019, 02:06:56 AM »
Here's a video:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rp6r0
I really didn't like Kolesnikov and this already seems better. BUT I can't find this on any streaming, itunes or even amazon.
It's on Qobuz. I think my main source of curiosity was that I wanted to listen to some Couperin but harpsichords are not good when I have migraines.

I listened to a couple of movements. If Kolesnikov can be somewhat on the Vartolo-ish interpretive end, Chalmeau is a bit more Moroney-ish, if that makes any sense. Literal.

I think there's a lot of untouched interpretive ground for a pianist interested in the repertoire—not only L. Couperin but Froberger & maybe Sweelinck or others.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15083 on: February 16, 2019, 06:58:50 AM »

I think there's a lot of untouched interpretive ground for a pianist interested in the repertoire—not only L. Couperin but Froberger & maybe Sweelinck or others.

Let me know what you think of the new Jeremy Denk CD.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #15084 on: February 16, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
I'm somewhat allergic to bleeding chunks so I haven't listened to it. Not an awful concept though.

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #15085 on: February 16, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
I never liked Borgstede's F. Couperin much, and contrary to my expectations (he is one of my favourite harpsichordists) I wasn’t quite thrilled by Baumont. Haven't got an easy suggestion for a complete Couperin cycle on harpsichord, I'm afraid.

Hi Que - thanks for your comments on Borgstede & Baumont - on my comparison listening yesterday, found the performers similar to my ears - not sure you saw my other post, BUT last night, I ordered the new (released late in 2018 for the 350th Couperin anniversary) 10-CD box w/ Carole Cerasi from PrestoClassical - just $50+ (half the price being asked on Amazon USA) - some comments in the attachment but not much in the way of major reviews yet - may be taking a chance but own several CDs w/ her and enjoy.  Dave :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15086 on: February 16, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
I still have mixed feelings about the Kolesnikov

So have I. Listened to it once, didn't like it (not enough romantic and cantabile to my tsate). Must listen again.
"Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part." - Claude Debussy

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #15087 on: February 26, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
I'd be interested to know how these compare, assuming they're all different recordings, which they appear to be:

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15088 on: February 26, 2019, 09:23:02 PM »
They’re all different at the level of the music included

Bottom image 1962 (harpsichord by Ruckers)
Middle image 1989 (Two Martin Skowroneck harpsichords)
Top image 1970 (A Martin Skowroneck harpsichord and the Christian Mueller organ in Amsterdam)

The 1962  has a reverberant sound take, the other two are well recorded.

For your information, there is a fourth Froberger  CD by Leonhardt, from 1997, it includes some music by Weckmann too. There are some organ pieces dotted around various compilation recordings too, I can let you have details if you want.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:18:54 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #15089 on: February 26, 2019, 10:41:24 PM »
Hi Que - thanks for your comments on Borgstede & Baumont - on my comparison listening yesterday, found the performers similar to my ears - not sure you saw my other post, BUT last night, I ordered the new (released late in 2018 for the 350th Couperin anniversary) 10-CD box w/ Carole Cerasi from PrestoClassical - just $50+ (half the price being asked on Amazon USA) - some comments in the attachment but not much in the way of major reviews yet - may be taking a chance but own several CDs w/ her and enjoy.  Dave :)

Dave,

I think highly of her recording with music by Manuel Blasco de Nebra.

Curious what your impressions will be on her François Couperin cycle! :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #15090 on: February 27, 2019, 12:17:03 AM »

Bottom 1962 (harpsichord by Ruckers)
Middle 1989 (Two Martin Skowroneck harpsichords)
Top 1970 (A Martin Skowroneck harpsichord and the Christian Mueller organ in Amsterdam)

For your information, there is a fourth Froberger  CD by Leonhardt, from 1997, it includes some music by Weckmann too. There are some organ pieces dotted around various compilation recordings too, I can let you have details if you want.

This is the 1997 recording, also included in some compilations/boxes:

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #15091 on: February 27, 2019, 07:46:22 AM »

Bottom 1962 (harpsichord by Ruckers)
Middle 1989 (Two Martin Skowroneck harpsichords)
Top 1970 (A Martin Skowroneck harpsichord and the Christian Mueller organ in Amsterdam)

The 1962 recording was (LP many, many years ago) the first music of Froberger, I ever heard. Leonhardt's style may here be characterized as extremely austere, and it actually turned me away from the composer. Others had to help me to acquire Froberger's style. But to day I find the 1962 recording relatively fascinating. Taste is something very variable over time.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #15092 on: February 27, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »

Bottom image 1962 (harpsichord by Ruckers)
Middle image 1989 (Two Martin Skowroneck harpsichords)
Top image 1970 (A Martin Skowroneck harpsichord and the Christian Mueller organ in Amsterdam)

Thanks for that. I've ordered a second hand copy of the 1989 disc. If I see the Teldec CD at a decent price I'll get that too. If the 1962 recording is excessively reverberant that's less of a priority. Hopefully the Weckmann/Froberger CD will turn up somewhere at a reasonable price as well.

I do have a few bits of Frobeger's organ music performed by Leonhardt dotted around three of the discs in this set:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:34:44 AM by Mr. Minnow »

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #15093 on: February 27, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »

Q

Yes. I sold my Borgstede. It’s all played like Beethoven's rage over a lost penny. The Baumont is splendid. 
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15094 on: February 28, 2019, 01:24:54 AM »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15095 on: February 28, 2019, 01:31:55 AM »

yes I listened to the CD with French music after you posted yesterday, most unusually sober performances of Boyvin and Guilain. It's wonderful how he focused on styles rather than composers, bringing composers together to show relationships (eg Louis Couperin and Frescobaldi)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15096 on: February 28, 2019, 01:53:25 AM »
Thanks for that. I've ordered a second hand copy of the 1989 disc. If I see the Teldec CD at a decent price I'll get that too. If the 1962 recording is excessively reverberent that's less of a priority. Hopefully the Weckmann/Froberger CD will turn up somewhere at a reasonable price as well.

It is reverberant but not so excessively as to make it unlistenable, it's very expressive, later on he became more abstract

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/29LcD08QYkk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/29LcD08QYkk</a>

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15097 on: March 08, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #15098 on: March 08, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »

How is it the "first complete recording"?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15099 on: March 08, 2019, 10:08:20 PM »
The trio sonata is based on some work that Dirksen did about the original score for BWV 528, don’t forget that it’s probable that the organ trio sonatas were originally chamber pieces, and it includes an chamber version BWV 660.