Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1670887 times)

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14820 on: October 11, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »
Muti/Philadelphia is my least favorite, of all that I have heard. Goes to show how taste can vary. I have to check to see if I still have it, maybe I can listen again.
I have quite a few recordings of these works for some reason. In no particular order I really enjoy Mata/Dallas, Reiner/CSO, Ozawa/BSO, Sinopoli/NYPO in addition to the abovementioned. A few that I don't particularly care for include Karajan and Oue/Minnesota.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14821 on: October 11, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Some pieces on vinyl: organ concerto on Turnabout, piano concerto on Aulos and trautonium concerto on Wergo, pieces for saxophone ensemble on a Koch Schwann cd were interesting for their instrumentation.  It’s a long time since I heard them but the fact that I have more than one disc of his music makes me think I liked it.

Thanks for the comment. I bought it last week. At 8€ for 10 discs I figured there was no need to hesitate. Should be here in a week or so. Seems to be quite varied and samples sound intriguing.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #14822 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:30 PM »
I have quite a few recordings of these works for some reason. In no particular order I really enjoy Mata/Dallas, Reiner/CSO, Ozawa/BSO, Sinopoli/NYPO in addition to the abovementioned. A few that I don't particularly care for include Karajan and Oue/Minnesota.

I like Reiner/CSO, and particularly like Maazel/Pittsburgh and Maazel/Cleveland. I have a soft spot for Karajan/Berlin, even though you could say be distorts the piece, but he finds things in it that I didn't know were there. I even like Ansermet. But a real favorite is Previtali/Santa Cecilia.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14823 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
I’ve been interested in acquiring a version of Dvorak’s cantata The Sceptre’s Bride for quite some time. I’ve read it belongs to the composer’s middle period. It is based on a poem by Karel Erben, an author Dvorak was to cull from in his great late tone poems.

There’s half a dozen recordings available, none of them exactly cheap, so I’m wondering about other members’ experience with the work. Anyone has suggestions ?

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #14824 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
I’ve been interested in acquiring a version of Dvorak’s cantata The Sceptre’s Bride for quite some time. I’ve read it belongs to the composer’s middle period. It is based on a poem by Karel Erben, an author Dvorak was to cull from in his great late tone poems.

There’s half a dozen recordings available, none of them exactly cheap, so I’m wondering about other members’ experience with the work. Anyone has suggestions ?

Spectre. Not Sceptre. Rather different.

I have it in the Supraphon box set below, with Belohlavek conducting.

I can't offer comparisons with other versions, all I can say is that one of the reasons for buying the box is that the performances in there seemed to be viewed pretty favourably. Depends on whether you're also interested in the other things in there. Major works include the Stabat Mater, the Requiem and Saint Ludmilla. I have to say that unfortunately, I find Saint Ludmilla's plot to be embarrassing. Unlike the Spectre's Bride which I find pretty enjoyable.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!