Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1710388 times)

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #14860 on: November 04, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »
I'm considering this LSO box

But maybe I should get the Decca Colin Davis Berlioz box instead? With older recordings? Hurwitz suggests that this new LSO Fantastique is awful and badly recorded but that everything else, especially choral/opera, is super good. I have plenty of Fantastique.

I have two recordings from that series. The  Damnation of Faust bored me. The Benvenuto Cellini was good, but it's my only recording of that opera, so I can't really compare it to anything.
Plus isn't there more in the Decca box?

Stranahan House Ft Lauderdale Fl

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #14861 on: November 04, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
I have two recordings from that series. The  Damnation of Faust bored me.
Assuming you mean the recording in particular vs Faust in general? Need to check the Decca version to see what is different in the contents.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #14862 on: November 06, 2018, 07:39:23 AM »
I'm considering this LSO box

But maybe I should get the Decca Colin Davis Berlioz box instead? With older recordings? Hurwitz suggests that this new LSO Fantastique is awful and badly recorded but that everything else, especially choral/opera, is super good. I have plenty of Fantastique.

So what's in it? All of CD's LSO Berlioz, presumably? Benvenuto C., L.Troyens, SyFa, B&B, H-in-I, Christ, R&J, GMdM, and LdF.

That'd be the old LSO box plus Benvenuto & L'enfance du Christ?

The Grand Messe des morts is a real dud. I remember Harold not being all that well received and not convincing me, but that's a long time ago. But the rest had most people raving (although there were always dissenting voices, too, who thought that Davis was getting a free ride, criticism-wise, in his old days in London). I tend to agree with the above opinion that the differences are, for a compendium, not significant enough to have you necessarily choose one over the other. It's more a matter of completeness and price. I think the Philips recordings are not available (except used - either the complete box or divided in Operas, Orchestral Music, and Sacred Music, Symphonic Dramas, Orchestral Songs) and there is no omnibus re-issue that contains all his Berlioz for Philips, either. The Philips collection would, however, be more complete... running to 24 CDs, which can't just be broad spacing of works.

(Here's a overview of the different recordings of Les Troyens out there: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/01/20/classical-cd-of-the-month-les-troyens-from-strasbourg-with-joyce-didonato/#6d1ca3397533)

Offline Irons

« Reply #14863 on: November 06, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
Any thoughts on the Maxwell Davies "Naxos Quartets"? I am an admirer of the Maggini Quartet but not at all familiar with Max's music. Worth going for the box set or not?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14864 on: November 06, 2018, 06:49:09 PM »
I’m quite content with the one disc of them quartets I have (no 1and 2). They are quite large-scale works. I might indulge in another one some time but I doubt I’ll feel the box is a necessity.

Offline Judith

Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #14865 on: November 07, 2018, 01:05:11 AM »
Ordered

Martinu

Complete Symphonies
Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi

A composer not familiar with but seen him mentioned a lot on Twitter so curious🎼🎼

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #14866 on: November 07, 2018, 05:48:48 AM »
Ordered

Martinu

Complete Symphonies
Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi

A composer not familiar with but seen him mentioned a lot on Twitter so curious🎼🎼
I think you'll love the sunny optimism of No. 2 and the heroic search of No. 4 immediately, then come to love the others soon enough!

Offline Irons

« Reply #14867 on: November 07, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
I’m quite content with the one disc of them quartets I have (no 1and 2). They are quite large-scale works. I might indulge in another one some time but I doubt I’ll feel the box is a necessity.

Thanks. Think I will give it a miss for the time being.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14868 on: November 11, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #14869 on: November 14, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
I'm interested in opinions on this:

Some of the samples I found sound a bit "hooty" in places, in other parts not so much:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/lumen-chant-gr%C3%A9gorien-monodies-et-polyphonies-m%C3%A9di%C3%A9vales-mw0001947823

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14870 on: November 17, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14871 on: November 23, 2018, 12:19:51 AM »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #14872 on: November 25, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »

I'm thinking I need a new set of the Mystery Sonatas. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #14873 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:05 PM »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #14874 on: December 04, 2018, 03:42:16 AM »

I'm thinking I need a new set of the Mystery Sonatas.

It's quite subdued and quite "even", for lack of better words ... beautiful for sure, but to me, not as grabbing as other recordings (Schmitt, Pierlot, Sepec, Malgoire) - which may be a good reason to get it in addition  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14875 on: December 06, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »

I stumbled upon this while checking new releases at JPC

Music by Steiner, Dessau, Kilar, Frankel. Vandermolen for one should be interested !  :D

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14876 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm interested in opinions on this:

Some of the samples I found sound a bit "hooty" in places, in other parts not so much:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/lumen-chant-gr%C3%A9gorien-monodies-et-polyphonies-m%C3%A9di%C3%A9vales-mw0001947823

I like it. Contrasting voices, expressive singing, relaxing, the ambience of the recording location, St Pierre d'Exideuil, captured. But you know, you can hear the whole thing for yourself on youtube here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFcJ3knpQ7pOJUSL7k3A3UA

One of the voices seems very disctinctive, with a breathy quality which I find not uninteresting.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14877 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »

I think anything by Sermisy is an essential purchase! I mean there isn't a whole lot and he was a good composer.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:27:32 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #14878 on: December 06, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
It's quite subdued and quite "even"

this makes it sound tempting, shame it's quite expensive.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #14879 on: December 06, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »
I like it. Contrasting voices, expressive singing, relaxing, the ambience of the recording location, St Pierre d'Exideuil, captured. But you know, you can hear the whole thing for yourself on youtube here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFcJ3knpQ7pOJUSL7k3A3UA

One of the voices seems very disctinctive, with a breathy quality which I find not uninteresting.

Thanks for the link. I'd already decided to take a chance when the price went down to just over £6, but having listened on youtube it sounds quite good. The voice which sounded a bit "hooty" on the samples I'd heard doesn't seem to dominate, which is a relief.

I think anything by Sermisy is an essential purchase! I mean there isn't a whole lot and he was a good composer.

I've ordered it from Amazon France along with the new Sollazzo Ensemble CD. Total cost about £16 each. A bit pricey, but not too bad given that the Sermisy CD doesn't seem to be available from any UK retailer and Amazon UK want over £24 for Sollazzo's disc. :o

It's a fair while ago that I got this but from what I recall, it's worth getting at a decent price. It's not as if there's a vast array of CDs to choose from in this music anyway!

Again, I got this ages ago but I have most of Stimmwerck's CDs and I've yet to hear one I didn't like. They released this on the same label:

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.