Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1799628 times)

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15120 on: March 10, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »
Anybody know where to buy Svetlanov's "Live in Tokyo" Tchaikovsky symphonies + Manfred cycle? I think it was on Exton and before that on Warner?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15121 on: March 11, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »

Reinbert de Leeuw Matthew Passion. Of course, the documentary is going to be in double dutch with no subtitles.
https://winkel.vpro.nl/de-matthaus-passion-box/
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15122 on: March 12, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
Anybody know where to buy Svetlanov's "Live in Tokyo" Tchaikovsky symphonies + Manfred cycle? I think it was on Exton and before that on Warner?
It is also on Canyon, but there is a second studio cycle on canyon as well. SO it starts to get quite messy.

However, according to the reviews on Amazon, it's these:

Before buying, I'd verify that they are indeed those live recordings. They play fast and loose with the dates in issues from the Soviet period (and early breakup).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15123 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
It is also on Canyon, but there is a second studio cycle on canyon as well. SO it starts to get quite messy.

However, according to the reviews on Amazon, it's these:

Before buying, I'd verify that they are indeed those live recordings. They play fast and loose with the dates in issues from the Soviet period (and early breakup).

Verified! Turns out I have this and on the back cover it says 'Live Tokyo 1990'. SO unless they got it wrong (which happens), this is it.

Although, it does not include Manfred. So if you'd want that, you'd have to find it separately. According the back cover of that release (on Amazon) it was performed live in Tokyo in 1992.

EDIT: There's a used copy on Amazon UK for 20 pounds if of interest.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:27:45 AM by mc ukrneal »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15124 on: March 14, 2019, 04:09:40 AM »
Any views on theses two sets?

On Berlioz: I was thinking of buying the new Nelson Troyens and this would just make that so much more economical. I've typically not loved Berlioz as much, and so I would only overlap in content for a few discs (with only one exact disc already owned). But perhaps I should consider some sort of Berlioz Davis set instead?.

On Franck: I would get this primarily for the 6-7 opera/choral/singing discs. Also interested in the remaining piano and orchestral I don't have. Less interested in the chamber and organ.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15125 on: March 15, 2019, 06:35:33 AM »
Any opinion on these?

"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.." - Chopin

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15126 on: March 15, 2019, 07:03:50 AM »
Any opinion on these?

I don't have those, but it's interesting to see 3 additional discs of Tchaikovsky. Two of them are from the orchestral works and Nutcracker. The other, I think, is either some assorted minor pieces and/or just disc timing. I can recommend the Postnikova, and I remember Harry liking it too, but cannot comment on this one, which looks interesting. Add in Ponti and the less systematic Naxos discs and I think those might be the only choices for 'complete' in this repertoire. I'd be interested to see if anyone has heard the Lisitsa as well.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15127 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
I can recommend the Postnikova, and I remember Harry liking it too,

I have that set and love it. This one is appealling in that it has some pieces not included in the Postnikova set, and the sound should be better.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.." - Chopin

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15128 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »
I have that set and love it. This one is appealling in that it has some pieces not included in the Postnikova set, and the sound should be better.
Gotcha. The Nutcracker and other pieces can be found (in part at least) on 2 discs from Andrew Goldstone, though perhaps they were different transcribers. This I don't know. I've not compared, just letting you know of their existence (though it seems likely you know of them).

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15129 on: March 15, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
Gotcha. The Nutcracker and other pieces can be found (in part at least) on 2 discs from Andrew Goldstone, though perhaps they were different transcribers. This I don't know. I've not compared, just letting you know of their existence (though it seems likely you know of them).

Truth is, I didn't know about them, so thanks. Are they in the Russian Piano Music series?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #15130 on: March 15, 2019, 08:26:07 AM »
Any views on theses two sets?

On Berlioz: I was thinking of buying the new Nelson Troyens and this would just make that so much more economical. I've typically not loved Berlioz as much, and so I would only overlap in content for a few discs (with only one exact disc already owned). But perhaps I should consider some sort of Berlioz Davis set instead?.

On Franck: I would get this primarily for the 6-7 opera/choral/singing discs. Also interested in the remaining piano and orchestral I don't have. Less interested in the chamber and organ.

Not sure about the Franck Edition box. Performances come from all over Europe except France (or Belgium). Not a prerequisite by any means, but perhaps  an indication that stylistic authenticity (for the vocal music in particular) or unity was not a consideration when assembling the contents.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15131 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
Truth is, I didn't know about them, so thanks. Are they in the Russian Piano Music series?

These:

I don't own them, but have had them wishlisted for ages (and I think they were well received). But I like Anthony Goldstone, usually plays at a high level.

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #15132 on: March 15, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »
Any opinion on these?

I have no comment on the music here - I haven't heard it, and I'm not much of a Tchaikovsky fan anyway - but I was struck by this photograph. With her hair styled the way it is, combined with the blouse she's wearing, it looks like it could have been taken 50 years ago.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #15133 on: March 16, 2019, 12:55:08 AM »
I have no comment on the music here - I haven't heard it, and I'm not much of a Tchaikovsky fan anyway - but I was struck by this photograph. With her hair styled the way it is, combined with the blouse she's wearing, it looks like it could have been taken 50 years ago.

Well, she is (Russian-) Ukrainian. The taste there does lag a little. :-)

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15134 on: March 16, 2019, 01:17:33 AM »
The Goldstone discs are quite lovely. Honestly, these transcriptions are repertoire where I think more competition is welcome - nice to see somebody else taking up the music and it makes me more interested in the Lisitsa box now, too.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #15135 on: March 16, 2019, 01:48:00 AM »
There are a few very good anthologies of Tchaikovsky's piano music with Richter and Pletnev, far from complete of course. I have the hunch that quite a bit of the music is or has become obscure for a reason. (Lisitsa looks tempting, though.)
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15136 on: March 16, 2019, 07:57:50 AM »

Well, she is (Russian-) Ukrainian. The taste there does lag a little. :-)

Well, I'm a reactionary. I'm also a Romanian, ie a former neighbour of Russia and a current neighbour of Ukraine. So, I love it. Go, Valentina!  :P

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15137 on: March 16, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »
I have the hunch that quite a bit of the music is or has become obscure for a reason.

The reason, of course, being German-oriented and influenced musicology and music history.  >:D

(Lisitsa looks tempting, though.)

Oh, she surely does, doesn't she?  :P 

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #15138 on: March 16, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »
I think the Russians have a sufficiently strong and long music and especially piano tradition to hold their own. It seems a little facile to blame the obscurity of most Tchaikovsky solo piano but the "Months" and another dozen pieces or so on the Germans.

As for the Lisitsa, the temptress, pun I had realized this but left it standing on purpose ;)
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15139 on: March 16, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
I think the Russians have a sufficiently strong and long music and especially piano tradition to hold their own. It seems a little facile to blame the obscurity of most Tchaikovsky solo piano but the "Months" and another dozen pieces or so on the Germans.

Why, sure. There was en emoticon at the end of my line.

As for the Lisitsa, the temptress, pun I had realized this but left it standing on purpose ;)

I got it alright. There was another emoticon at the end of that line.

:-*

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.