Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1799074 times)

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15240 on: May 15, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
That could be DG or BIS. I'd prefer BIS, probably.
is there only one Neevi Jarvi? He can't possibly have recorded as much as he did.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #15241 on: May 15, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »
is there only one Neevi Jarvi? He can't possibly have recorded as much as he did.

He had to reproduce to split the workload. :)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:54:35 PM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15242 on: May 15, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
There is. I've heard stories of him flying in to recording sessions of unfamiliar music and preparing by simply reading through the scores on the airplane. By rehearsal time, he "knew" the music.

There is no doubt that Neeme had a passion for some obscure music. He is almost singlehandedly responsible for all recordings of Eduard Tubin - he personally convinced the head of BIS Records of the need to do a symphony cycle for the composer (by playing him a short clip from an old broadcast and saying "guess the composer"). More interest in the composer stemmed from that initial Jarvi cycle.

Neeme fans argue that his straightforward, fairly fast, un-romantic interpretations of various works give us a chance to judge their quality. That's true. His detractors (I'm one) argue that his lack of warmth and imagination mean he served many composers poorly. I think of him as a sort of tradesman: he finds all this obscure material and gives it enough publicity that some day it might attract the attention of a real artist.

• Veteran member
« Reply #15243 on: May 15, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »
There is. I've heard stories of him flying in to recording sessions of unfamiliar music and preparing by simply reading through the scores on the airplane. By rehearsal time, he "knew" the music.

There is no doubt that Neeme had a passion for some obscure music. He is almost singlehandedly responsible for all recordings of Eduard Tubin - he personally convinced the head of BIS Records of the need to do a symphony cycle for the composer (by playing him a short clip from an old broadcast and saying "guess the composer"). More interest in the composer stemmed from that initial Jarvi cycle.

Neeme fans argue that his straightforward, fairly fast, un-romantic interpretations of various works give us a chance to judge their quality. That's true. His detractors (I'm one) argue that his lack of warmth and imagination mean he served many composers poorly. I think of him as a sort of tradesman: he finds all this obscure material and gives it enough publicity that some day it might attract the attention of a real artist.

I usually find myself unimpressed with Jarvi's work, but there are some things, particularly early in his career, where I think he engaged successfully. The old Sibelius cycle with BIS is one example.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #15244 on: May 15, 2019, 02:42:17 PM »

Neeme Järvi is a decent conductor. As you state, he’s the only game in town for many underexposed composers. I’m not a huge fan of his conducting. I think he flies through music to the point where I don’t think he truly knows it too well. He’s ‘championed’ way too many composers to have any kind of convincing narrative. The only composer with whom I believe he has done full justice to is Tubin, but this is a composer I don’t listen to a lot and has very much fallen by the wayside.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #15245 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
I usually find myself unimpressed with Jarvi's work, but there are some things, particularly early in his career, where I think he engaged successfully. The old Sibelius cycle with BIS is one example.
He's ok, probably no better or worse than many big name conductors. I don't actively seek him out but don't find his conducting offensive (take M. Pletnev for example) either.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:08:10 PM by PerfectWagnerite »

Offline Ras

« Reply #15246 on: May 16, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
The Jarvi's are often confused for each other - there are two sons and a father who are conductors and then a flutist I don't know. From Kristian Jarvi's wiki-page:

Kristjan Järvi (Estonian pronunciation: [ˈkristjɑn ˈjærʋi], alternate (U.S.) spelling: Kristian Järvi) (born 13 June 1972, Tallinn) is an Estonian-born American conductor and pianist. Järvi is the younger son of Neeme Järvi, and the brother of conductor Paavo Järvi and flutist Maarika Järvi.
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

• Veteran member
« Reply #15247 on: May 16, 2019, 10:04:08 AM »
The Jarvi's are often confused for each other - there are two sons and a father who are conductors and then a flutist I don't know. From Kristian Jarvi's wiki-page:

I believe I have one recording by Kristian and perhaps a half-dozen of Paavo on Telarc and Virgin I think. I have a fair number of Neeme's recordings on BIS, Chandos and DG, mostly his earlier recordings on BIS, some Chandos recordings of Russian repertoire.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15248 on: May 16, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
There is another Jarvi, a pianist, whom Neeme brought along for a concert once when I was a Detroit Symphony-goer and he was the DSO's chief conductor. Pianist Jarvi was unfortunately not a talent; couldn't even muster the stamina to play above the sound of the orchestra.

• Veteran member
« Reply #15249 on: May 16, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
There is another Jarvi, a pianist, whom Neeme brought along for a concert once when I was a Detroit Symphony-goer and he was the DSO's chief conductor. Pianist Jarvi was unfortunately not a talent; couldn't even muster the stamina to play above the sound of the orchestra.

Neeme drowned out his own offspring.  :o

Perhaps he started hearing wrong notes and thinking, "this is not good," signaled to the orchestra, "louder, louder!"

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15250 on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »

Sounds like a run-of-the-mill HIP pianist.  ;D
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.." - Chopin

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15251 on: May 19, 2019, 04:41:43 AM »
Neeme drowned out his own offspring.  :o

Perhaps he started hearing wrong notes and thinking, "this is not good," signaled to the orchestra, "louder, louder!"
Sounds like a run-of-the-mill HIP pianist.  ;D

My apologies; I've misled you all. Talking to my parents last night, they recalled this concert too and they recalled the pianist more accurately than I did. It was not Neeme Jarvi's daughter. It was Itzhak Perlman's daughter, Navah.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #15252 on: May 19, 2019, 05:08:11 AM »
My apologies; I've misled you all. Talking to my parents last night, they recalled this concert too and they recalled the pianist more accurately than I did. It was not Neeme Jarvi's daughter. It was Itzhak Perlman's daughter, Navah.

My comment still stands.  :)
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.." - Chopin

• Veteran member
« Reply #15253 on: May 21, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »
Listened to samples of Gastinel's recording of the Bach Cello Suites, and was impressed.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #15254 on: May 21, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »
Listened to samples of Gastinel's recording of the Bach Cello Suites, and was impressed.

Another recording of these suites by a cellist I've not herd of, that is very good.  I am listening to it while watching the Yankees.

Very enjoyable.

8)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #15255 on: May 22, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »

I have it and I too like it.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
« Reply #15256 on: May 22, 2019, 07:01:34 AM »
I have it and I too like it.

I have a few other recordings by her, concertos. I think I will add her Bach to the collection.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #15257 on: May 22, 2019, 07:11:48 AM »
I have a few other recordings by her, concertos. I think I will add her Bach to the collection.

Recommended with the following provision just in case it is important to you; I personally find her interpretation of the preludes not to be as profound as other interpreters' but they are still good. All dance rhythms lilt along just fine and the slower movements have poise and grace.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
« Reply #15258 on: May 22, 2019, 07:22:31 AM »
Recommended with the following provision just in case it is important to you; I personally find her interpretation of the preludes not to be as profound as other interpreters' but they are still good. All dance rhythms lilt along just fine and the slower movements have poise and grace.

That's fine with me. So many cellists seem intent on discovering profundity where Bach intended fun!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #15259 on: May 22, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »
That's fine with me. So many cellists seem intent on discovering profundity where Bach intended fun!

I would agree with you in a big way there.