Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 770813 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Swans flying over Tuonela
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #8160 on: April 13, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »
Now, now - that sounds downright obscene. >:D  GMG is a family-friendly forum, don't you know?  ;D

:P
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #8161 on: April 13, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
Then there'd be no room to discuss McBartok's "Minute Maid Miraculous Mandarin Smoothy". There's lots of liquids spilled in that piece, that you'd be hard pressed to explain to junior.

Yeah, that work sounds delicious. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline classicalgeek

Everything from Dufay to Stockhausen...
« Reply #8162 on: April 13, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
Then there'd be no room to discuss McBartok's "Minute Maid Miraculous Mandarin Smoothy". There's lots of liquids spilled in that piece, that you'd be hard pressed to explain to junior.

Oh, dear me... :-[ ;D

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #8163 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
After listening to a recent BBC 'composer of the week' podcast about Schuman, I am instantly interested to explore his work. The excerpts of the works they included sounded brilliant.

So, am considering:

Would also like to buy a recording of the violin concerto.

Of course, this is all for when I actually have some money! ;)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #8164 on: April 14, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
After listening to a recent BBC 'composer of the week' podcast about Schuman, I am instantly interested to explore his work. The excerpts of the works they included sounded brilliant.

So, am considering:

Would also like to buy a recording of the violin concerto.

Of course, this is all for when I actually have some money! ;)

Oh, Daniel there's a lot to enjoy there for sure. Schuman is certainly a fascinating composer. I don't own this box but do own all the individual releases and bought them all in one foul swoop last year. I really need to go back and listen to the music because there was some of it that didn't register with me the first time around. I did like Symphonies 3-5, 8 but I don't remember the other ones too good. The reason why Symphonies 1 & 2 aren't in the box is because the composer withdrew them. I'd love to hear them though.

P.S. Daniel, I urge you to go to the William Schuman thread on the Composer Discussion section of the forum. I'm sure you'll find some fun information about the composer and will get the opinion of his music from other GMGers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:50:53 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #8165 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Oh, Daniel there's a lot to enjoy there for sure. Schuman is certainly a fascinating composer. I don't own this box but do own all the individual releases and bought them all in one foul swoop last year. I really need to go back and listen to the music because there was some of it that didn't register with me the first time around. I did like Symphonies 3-5, 8 but I don't remember the other ones too good. The reason why Symphonies 1 & 2 aren't in the box is because the composer withdrew them. I'd love to hear them though.

P.S. Daniel, I urge you to go to the William Schuman thread on the Composer Discussion section of the forum. I'm sure you'll find some fun information about the composer and will get the opinion of his music from other GMGers.

Thank you, John.
Yes, it was the excerpts from the 3rd and 5th symphonies in particular that were included in that podcast that I really enjoyed, and also an excerpt from the slow movement of the 10th which really fascinated me. It sounds like the music I would enjoy! :D

Will take a look at the Schuman thread very soon. Thanks again, John!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

eyeresist

« Reply #8166 on: April 15, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
in one foul swoop last year

One FELL swoop, please.

eyeresist

« Reply #8167 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
While attempting to browse the entries in EMI's 20th Century Classics series (they've been cataloged in all sorts of unhelpful ways), I was delightfully surprised by the concertos of ... Poulenc! The ballets don't do much for me, but the concertos have that combination of elegance and slight derangement I find appealing in Prokofiev and Hindemith. There is also the Sinfonietta - Hickox sadly takes the Andante movement much too fast. So the item bedazzling my eye at the moment is:

Poulenc - 5 CD collection conducted by Dutoit (Decca)

Offline jlaurson

• Veteran member
    • ionarts
« Reply #8168 on: April 16, 2012, 05:46:46 AM »
While attempting to browse the entries in EMI's 20th Century Classics series (they've been cataloged in all sorts of unhelpful ways), I was delightfully surprised by the concertos of ... Poulenc! The ballets don't do much for me, but the concertos have that combination of elegance and slight derangement I find appealing in Prokofiev and Hindemith. There is also the Sinfonietta - Hickox sadly takes the Andante movement much too fast. So the item bedazzling my eye at the moment is:

F. Poulenc
 - 5 CD collection conducted by Dutoit
(Decca)

Well, the concertos on this disc are absolutely superb recordings. (They're my favorite Poulenc works, by far, too. Those, and several of his melodies and of course his opera, Dialogues des Carmelites.)

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
  • Die Musik ist die Sprache der Leidenschaft.
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #8169 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:12 AM »
I would really like to buy a first recording of Berg's Wozzeck, I appreciated it very much when I listened to it. :D
This one looks very alluring:

"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #8170 on: April 16, 2012, 06:03:49 AM »
Well, the concertos on this disc are absolutely superb recordings. (They're my favorite Poulenc works, by far, too. Those, and several of his melodies and of course his opera, Dialogues des Carmelites.)

My favourite of his output by a nose are the sacred choral and chamber music. One of us must be very wrong! ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8171 on: April 16, 2012, 06:06:11 AM »
I would really like to buy a first recording of Berg's Wozzeck, I appreciated it very much when I listened to it. :D

That's an excellent recording, Ilaria.  If you think you may be apt to explore more Berg, that Wozzeck is included in the following box:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline jlaurson

• Veteran member
    • ionarts
« Reply #8172 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:18 AM »
My favourite of his output by a nose are the sacred choral and chamber music. One of us must be very wrong! ;D

Well, I like must of Poulenc's easy wit*.... Certainly that of the chamber music. But the concertos just demand absolutely no thinking to be enjoyed.  ;)

(*less present in the sacred choral works, admittedly -- that's almost a different composer from the concertos.)

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #8173 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:30 AM »
Well, I like must of Poulenc's easy wit*....

(*less present in the sacred choral works, admittedly -- that's almost a different composer from the concertos.)

Indeedie, anybody who thinks they dislike Poulenc would do well to try this music - it's remarkably different.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #8174 on: April 16, 2012, 06:20:23 AM »
That's an excellent recording, Ilaria.  If you think you may be apt to explore more Berg, that Wozzeck is included in the following box:

That's amazing, this box-set includes all Berg's works, I may certainly think over it! :D Thank you for the suggestion, Karl!
"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8175 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:23 AM »
It's all great stuff, Ilaria!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline classicalgeek

Everything from Dufay to Stockhausen...
« Reply #8176 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »

My favorite recording of my favorite opera!  You certainly can't go wrong with it.  I second Karl's recommendation of the DG Berg box!

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
« Reply #8177 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
It's all great stuff, Ilaria!
My favorite recording of my favorite opera!  You certainly can't go wrong with it.  I second Karl's recommendation of the DG Berg box!

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen! :)

eyeresist

« Reply #8178 on: April 16, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Well, the concertos on this disc are absolutely superb recordings.

Thanks for this.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #8179 on: April 16, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »

Poulenc - 5 CD collection conducted by Dutoit (Decca)

I can most certainly vouch for that superb set. Dutoit is my favorite Poulenc conductor by a long shot. The concerti (w/ Pascal Roge) are especially well-performed. Discovering the Stabat Mater was also quite nice. Gorgeous piece. This set along with the Naxos set of chamber music and you would have Poulenc's best music IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:18:10 PM by Mirror Image »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK