Author Topic: Facebook, Twitter and Social Media  (Read 1442 times)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Facebook, Twitter and Social Media
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
Well, interesting development. First grade teached fired for not handing over Facebook password: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/grade-school-teacher-aide-fired-refusing-hand-over-172305406.html

And House rejects legislation that would protect your right to not provide it: http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/28/house-rejects-legislation-that-would-protect-your-facebook-password-from-employers/
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

DavidW

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »
That teaching aid has a really strong case.  Where I work (but not whom I work for) had a much better solution than asking for passwords-- you talk to current students only through the school's fb account.  Will that will be set up like next year, and I'll be at my new job by then.  Don't know what their policy is.

eyeresist

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
And House rejects legislation that would protect your right to not provide it: http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/28/house-rejects-legislation-that-would-protect-your-facebook-password-from-employers/

In further developments, the government demands the keys to your car and naked pictures of your wife.

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 06:30:07 PM »
In further developments, the government demands the keys to your car and naked pictures of your wife.

No! Not my keys !!!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

eyeresist

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »
... and naked pictures of your wife.

Copyright release form included.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
It looks like Maryland as passed a law protecting our right not to provide a passoword: http://news.yahoo.com/maryland-bill-bans-employers-facebook-passwords-143657546.html
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
And House rejects legislation that would protect your right to not provide it:

Oh well.  Really, should the FCC be involved in setting any rules as it pertains to human resource and security decisions for government agencies of any kind, let alone private firms?  I'm kind of fuzzy on how the Constitution or any of the Amendments has much, if anything, to do with this type of issue, too.

I'm all for maintaining password privacy - and I enjoy the irony of reading about companies and other entities that no doubt have well documented privacy policies that cover passwords and when and to whom they should be given (ie, never and no one) - but I very seriously doubt the Federales need to be involved.  The course being pursued in Maryland seems about right to me.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »
An article about people who don't use Facebook - the resistors: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-grows-millions-no-thanks-073535378--finance.html

Offline Polednice

• For the Ears
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
I have a facebook account because my student peers communicate through it and I'd miss vital information if I didn't have one, but I never look at it - I have nothing worth broadcasting to my friends, and the things they post are invariably mundane. I also hate that people add people they barely know, or don't know at all. I have around 30 or 40 friends there, all of whom I speak to in real life. I can't understand why someone would have 200+.

I do, however, have an active Google+ account, and I think it's brilliant. A lot of people seem not to like Google+ because they just don't get it - it is not like facebook. I'm active there, but I have no real life friends on it. Basically, the way I use it is to discuss things I find interesting with professionals involved in it - it's kind of like a forum like GMG in that sense. For example, I use Google reader to keep up with news/science/books etc., and Google+ is where I go to have proper conversations about that stuff. A lot of the time, you're even having conversations with the writers and scientists who wrote the article in question. It's a great way of networking with interesting people you've never met before.

eyeresist

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
Intrigued by a line on the series Being Human - "We're more Ceefax people" - I googled, and now have a slightly better idea what teletext was, and why we're better off without it.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline Scots John

• Veteran member
  • Picture by John Atkinson Grimshaw
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    Digital Media
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 04:19:06 AM »
Not everyone is 'social'.  Some of us are very private people.  A few weeks ago some German sociologists and psychologists came up with the idea that there 'is something wrong with you' if you're not part of a Social Media group.  On the contrary, there is 'something wrong' with them for suggesting such a silly thing.
Before Google came, we had the internet...it was free and easy, you could go anywhere and look for anything.  Now we have become near dependant on Google, Yahoo, etc, because they have muscled up to become the standard internet portals.  They store information, and in Social Media, disseminate it...for money.  The whole thing is unhuman and very sick.  I haven't posted in Facebook for an awful long time now.  I signed for Twitter a couple of weeks ago.  More shite.  I'd rather keep a long-hand diary...
It is becoming more necessary than a CV to have a PUBLIC profile on a social media portal.  In many ways, our dependence on electricity and electronics is going to end in tears.  All it takes is a solar storm to knock everything on Earth out.   Everything.  It is not something that 'might' happen, it is something that 'will' happen.  Such events are not uncommon.  In space time they happen all the time.  In Earth time there are long decades between 'serious' storms...it may happen tomorrow, it may happen in 100 years.  It WILL happen.  We are building houses on water.  Unfortunately, we cannot get a celestial event to knock social media out ONLY.  >:(
Right.  I'm off to the Scottish Highlands now to rave with the locusts, John the Baptist style, that the World is going to end...sometime.  I will baptise allcomers in Loch Ness, and wear the skins of a mountain Stag.   ???
Dear Kees Bakels
What the fantasias were you thinking when you took a job in the Orient as a conductor all those years ago instead of staying over this side of the World so we could hear you Live more often?  I am well pissed with you over the matter.
Kind regards anyway.
Scots John

Online karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Re: Facebook, Twitter and Social Media
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »
Not everyone is 'social'.

That's fair.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 07:28:58 AM »

I'm reading Turing's Cathedral by George Dyson. His thesis is that for 60 years the digital universe has been training humans how to communicate with it. The genetic code gave birth to the digital code which in turn decrypted the genetic code to learn how to replicate itself. It (some kind of "it") is learning and evolving orders of magnitude faster than we bacteria-based entities have done.

It may seem significant that our code in human manifestation thinks it's conscious whereas the digital code is under no such impression for the time being. That will change at some point. The question arises if "it/they" would have any reason to communicate at the natural language concept level. Maybe there's nothing to say in that medium.

Recently the code told us to build drones to help fight our wars. Before that a science fiction writer figured out what the drones will do when they grow up. That writer was Philip K. Dick.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:15.4) Gecko/20130122 Firefox/15.4.1-x64 PaleMoon/15.4.1-x64

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20130205 Firefox/20.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20130205 Firefox/21.0

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 06:07:15 AM »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK