Author Topic: A suggestion: Like button  (Read 18790 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: A suggestion: Like button
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
Well, we've got this thread here.

Oh, maybe I knew that.
Guess I should head over there and talk about my blackened tilapia Caesar salad I had for lunch.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »
Get out, and never blacken my tilapia again!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
A suggestion: Turn GMG into a text-based mailing list. >:D
Regards,
Navneeth

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!! ;D

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
A suggestion: Like button
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
Get out, and never blacken my tilapia again!

Yes, Chef! Sorry, Chef!

eyeresist

« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
Oh so that's why there has been a surge in TC posters coming over here.  I was wondering why the exodus...

A plague of Like buttons upon your house!

As I said before, the only practical benefit would be the reward-feeling from clicking the button. Go to Faceboook for all your meaningless button-clicking needs :)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »

As I said before, the only practical benefit would be the reward-feeling from clicking the button. Go to Faceboook for all your meaningless button-clicking needs :)

Yeah, that and to brag about what you had for lunch.  >:D

eyeresist

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Time for lunch 

+1

+1

+1

+1

I Liked this lunch!

+1

+1

+1

+1

eyeresist

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
You could be fired for 'liking' a Facebook page

Sheriff B.J. Roberts of Hampton, Virginia, fired six of his staff members for liking the Facebook page of his running opponent in the 2009 election.

He said that their actions had "hindered the harmony and efficiency of the office".

The staff members sued, claiming that their First Amendment rights had been violated.

However, Judge Raymond A. Jackson of the Federal District Court said in his ruling that clicking the "like" button did not amount to expressive speech.

Essentially, because there was no actual writing or speech involved, the act of clicking a button is not afforded constitutional protection under the ruling.

I suggest that Judge Jackson is an idiot.

DavidW

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »

Yeah, that and to brag about what you had for lunch.  >:D

That is this forum dude.  I never see anyone bragging about lunch on fb, yet you dilettantes are always bragging about your gourmet meals on this forum! >:D 

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2012, 05:14:11 AM »
That is this forum dude.  I never see anyone bragging about lunch on fb, yet you dilettantes are always bragging about your gourmet meals on this forum! >:D

Does Chick-fil-a count as gourmet?

DavidW

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »
Does Chick-fil-a count as gourmet?

Well they do have that single pickle they put on a sandwich.  Some may call them cheapskates, some might consider it gourmet... 0:)

:D :D :D

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2012, 05:35:39 AM »
This forum gets on average over 300 posts per day. It currently has over half a million posts. Thats a LOT of content.

I am in favour of instituting a system where some posts/threads can rise above the others to separate wheat from chaff. Men from boys. Content from background noise. I do think a Like button would add to that.

However, I would have a few prerequisites for me to institute it: the Like button is for a Post, not a person. There should be no way to tally Likes received by any particular member. It should not interfere with the layout of the forum. It should not interfere with the backend running of the forum and database.

At the moment, there is no compatible mod to do this for this version of the software, and I don't have the time to write it myself. So GMG is not getting a Like button any time soon.

As for hot topics, I also like the idea of a short list of topics with the most replies in the last 24 hours. It would be listed on the front page, similar to how we currently have "Recent Posts" listed. But again, there is no mod available to do this, and I am not in the mood to write a database query protocol myself. So again, no change is planned.

If you access the forum stats page, there is a section listing the most the most popular topics by Post, Replies, Views etc, but it is for the entire forum for all time, not past 24 hours.

I do encourage discussion of these ideas, and hope all members welcome the same.

cheers
Rob
JUst a reminder that there has been an official ruling on the matter...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2012, 05:45:19 AM »
JUst a reminder that there has been an official ruling on the matter...

Yes. He encouraged us to discuss the matter, regardless of whether we can get a Like button immediately.
Regards,
Navneeth

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2012, 05:53:13 AM »
The 'pluses' might work with no limiting, if the exact number of pluses/post wouldn't be shown. And number of pluses/likes/whatever alone isn't any good, it has to be linked to the activity of the board/topic, otherwise the vocal section wouldn't show up.
A list on the index page with most liked posts of the week from each forum could be nice - with some kind of storing of at least some of these.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
I think we should eliminate all the annoying reading and writing that goes on here and only allow the posting of pictures of CDs from Amazon followed by a "like" or "hate" button. Make it work the way it does when they put pictures of food in the restaurant menu and all you have to do is point and grunt instead of order with your words. And while we're on the subject, restaurants should start using "yum" and "yuck" buttons, too! That will give us all more time to go on Facebook and post pictures of our pet goldfish.

What are words for when no one listens anymore
What are words for when no one listens it's no use talkin' at all

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »
Well they do have that single pickle they put on a sandwich.  Some may call them cheapskates, some might consider it gourmet... 0:)

:D :D :D

You just get one pickle? I usually get at least three. I would go back to the counter and demand your three pickles next time this happens to you! :D
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
You just get one pickle? I usually get at least three. I would go back to the counter and demand your three pickles next time this happens to you! :D

Demand the pickles!

DavidW

« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »
Well that chick filet place was in the Penn State hub.  College location might not have been indicative of the overall quality of the franchise, as in pickle stinginess. ;D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK