Author Topic: A suggestion: Like button  (Read 23747 times)

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
    • My website
  • Currently Listening to:
    Jazz, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel, Rossini, Chopin, Metal, Pop
Re: A suggestion: Like button
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »
What I like about the use of a 'Like' button or whatever one might want to call it, is its ability to highlight especially interesting or insightful posts, to aggregate those contributions which many members find useful. Giving them an endless amount of likes will not serve this purpose well, in my opinion. Therefore, what I would like to see is something like a quota system: let's say 3 'likes' per week per member (the number can be changed as and when the frequency of insightful posts increase or decrease ;) and other parameters). It would force members to think carefully before clicking on the button (or at least that's the hope). Those posts with a significant amount of likes can then be archived in a special section which can be referenced later. This won't necessarily deter anyone from typing a note of appreciation to those posts; but it can collect together some of the best information that GMG offers.

Of course, all this depends on the availability of a modified mod capable of performing these actions.

I think I will be already selective with my likes. When you like something really, you use the like button, it works as a reference, if you like something less, you probably won't use the like button.

I just missed the like button in some cases up to now. I don´t miss it very often. But it is really missing to me, since we are used to the like button on Facebook and the advantages it offers, which is more modern and social. It makes this internet community somewhat old-fashioned to me.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:20:49 AM by Henk »
"New ears for new music" (Nietzsche, The Anti-christ)

My website

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »
I think I will be already selective with my likes. When you like something really, you use the like button, it works as a reference, if you like something less, you probably won't use the like button.

I just missed the like button in some cases up to now. I don´t miss it very often. But it is really missing to me, since we are used to the like button on Facebook, which is more modern. It makes this internet community somewhat old-fashioned to me.

This is a big reason why I frequent GMG.  :)

Ataraxia

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:32 AM »
But it is really missing to me, since we are used to the like button on Facebook, which is more modern. It makes this internet community somewhat old-fashioned to me.

So go post on Facebook. GMG is not Facebook.

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
    • My website
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
So go post on Facebook. GMG is not Facebook.

GMG can also make use of the idea of the like button and make advantage of it. I just don't get the emotional ways of attacking the idea.

My website

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 06:27:49 AM »
I don't want to spoil more energy about this, so I stop posting now about this.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:30:40 AM by Henk »

My website

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 06:32:44 AM »
GMG can also make use of the idea of the like button and make advantage of it. I just don't get the emotional ways of attacking the idea.
It does seem to be a hot-button item. :)

Thing is, I suspect we would see a bit of a generational gap in the positions. Or perhaps the other thing. :)  ;D
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 06:35:07 AM »
I just don't get the emotional ways of attacking the idea.

I don't see that either of the following objections to the idea is in the least emotional:

I'm opposed in general to dumbing down. If you like a post, take a few seconds and reply with a post. People are just getting too lazy. We shouldn't encourage that.

Sarge

In a nutshell, there it is; thanks, Sarge!

I don't mind that the feature is there in Facebook (I use it all the time, myself, and some of the time, it is a matter of ease/laziness).  I don't see any need to make GMG "conform" to that model; and indeed, I agree with the idea that in this environment, mo' better posting should be encouraged.

We many of us like Gurn's stellar work in the Haydn Haus, yet we've none of us suffered for lack of a "Like" button.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
    • My website
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »
I did not take any offense. I understand your post perfectly well;  I find it at turns poorly reasoned, and irrelevant.  That said, you're of the opinion that there should be a Like button, and you are entitled to the opinion.

Last post.

Karl, you agreed to Sarge, that's what I reacted to.

My website

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 06:38:27 AM »
Last post.

Karl, you agreed to Sarge, that's what I reacted to.

Thank you for conceding that you were not reacting to emotional objections to your idea.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »
Here's a question: Has anyone had experience with this function at a different forum (and not places like facbook, youtube, etc.)? What was the experience?

Yeah on Talk Classical they have it, it works well with no complaint.  And it is fun to see new likes when you log in.  Some posters over use it, some not at all, some reservedly.  It adds to the forum but it has never stopped the insane quantity of posts that you find on that forum.  If anything I think the positive feedback encourages more posts which is one of the reasons why there is so much going on over there.  Those that don't like the system just completely ignore it and it doesn't seem to bother them.

DavidW

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
Therefore, what I would like to see is something like a quota system: let's say 3 'likes' per week per member (the number can be changed as and when the frequency of insightful posts increase or decrease ;) and other parameters). It would force members to think carefully before clicking on the button (or at least that's the hope).

That is a good idea.  I like the slashdot way of doing it: you have to earn karma to be able to dish it out yourself, and then only on threads that you haven't contributed to.  A very elegant system that was around before everybody was even on facebook, and still more sophisticated and effective than fb has ever managed!

And of course their style of hiding posts with negative karma has a good self policing way of punishing trolls without requiring moderators.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

I just missed the like button in some cases up to now. I don´t miss it very often. But it is really missing to me, since we are used to the like button on Facebook and the advantages it offers, which is more modern and social. It makes this internet community somewhat old-fashioned to me.

This is a big reason why I frequent GMG.  :)

Say no more.
And Henk, really no offense meant, but, as I've mentioned somewhere on this forum before, it's just that I've chosen to become a member of a few classical music boards, of which GMG has been my fav so far, and I don't need all these add-ons taken from all those overly hyped, shallow and very privacy-unfriendly 'Social' Networks, which I have avoided so far without getting depressed or feeling desolate and lonely.

Yes, now you may call me old-fashioned .... and I will be proud of it. ;)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline sheffmark

Mahler,Tchaikovsky and Bach but still Punk/Post Punk!
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »

So has anything been decided yet?
Sorry for asking stupid questions!
I'm a complete novice and always will be!!

-Mark-

DavidW

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »

Yup on the first page! :D  The current forum software is not compatible with the feature.

Offline sheffmark

Mahler,Tchaikovsky and Bach but still Punk/Post Punk!
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »

Sorry!!! ;D
I must have missed that amongst all the discussion!! ;D
Thanks for that!! ;)
Sorry for asking stupid questions!
I'm a complete novice and always will be!!

-Mark-

Ataraxia

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

Bulldog

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »

No, but I hope the suggested button notion is scratched.  I think it sounds like a waste of time.  Put another way, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.  Also, some of you seem overly concerned with "feedback" - this isn't a social networking site.

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
This forum gets on average over 300 posts per day. It currently has over half a million posts. Thats a LOT of content.

I am in favour of instituting a system where some posts/threads can rise above the others to separate wheat from chaff. Men from boys. Content from background noise. I do think a Like button would add to that.

However, I would have a few prerequisites for me to institute it: the Like button is for a Post, not a person. There should be no way to tally Likes received by any particular member. It should not interfere with the layout of the forum. It should not interfere with the backend running of the forum and database.

At the moment, there is no compatible mod to do this for this version of the software, and I don't have the time to write it myself. So GMG is not getting a Like button any time soon.

As for hot topics, I also like the idea of a short list of topics with the most replies in the last 24 hours. It would be listed on the front page, similar to how we currently have "Recent Posts" listed. But again, there is no mod available to do this, and I am not in the mood to write a database query protocol myself. So again, no change is planned.

If you access the forum stats page, there is a section listing the most the most popular topics by Post, Replies, Views etc, but it is for the entire forum for all time, not past 24 hours.

I do encourage discussion of these ideas, and hope all members welcome the same.

cheers
Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

Elgarian

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
Until a few months ago I was a frequent poster at Talk Classical and had been for quite a long time. I felt uncomfortable with the 'like' facility. I accepted it and sometimes even used it - it was part of the fabric of the place - but I was always suspicious of the potential psychological impact: both the quasi-euphoria of writing posts that drew a lot of likes, and the inevitable though foolish disappointment of writing posts that drew none.

It's too easy to hit the 'like' button. It takes more time, more consideration, to frame a written response (even if it's only 'well said, that man'). However, I don't think it's a matter that can be resolved by argument; rather, it's about what one feels comfortable with, or can become comfortable with.

It's not a particularly big deal either way, but if it came to votes, I'm with Sarge.

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »
Welcome to the new GMG!

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige