Author Topic: German Baroque Music  (Read 109273 times)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Re: German Baroque Music
« Reply #480 on: December 10, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
Finally listening to this cd (arrived yesterday). The sound image is something I am not very fond of. Nothing is in the middle! Everything is on the left and right. The sound is also somehow fuzzy. The performers "are there somewhere". Very unnatural sound, everything sounds so close and reverberant it's "heavy". Thanks to crossfeed the sound is somewhat tolerable, but far from great. What a dissappointment! As if there was too much Kuhnau out there. These are world premier performances now ruined by bad sound engineering. The music is perhaps great, hard to tell...  :-\

Hopefully the following volumes are recorded better...
I agree, this doesn't match the wonderful Kuhnau recording from the Kings Consort on Hyperion.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #481 on: December 10, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
I agree, this doesn't match the wonderful Kuhnau recording from the Kings Consort on Hyperion.
Yes, the Hyperion cd is clearly better. It also has too wide stereo image, but at least theres stuff in the middle and the sound is natural, has some depth. Using the strongest crossfeed option (-1 dB) of my headphone adapter makes the sound quite enjoyable.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #482 on: October 29, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »

Is Scheidt a Baroque composer? Anyway, here he lies.

This is a superb Ludi Musici from L'Achéron, very rich in colour, the continuo is particularly beautiful. A great selection of the music, pieces with different moods arranged in a way which makes the CD coherent and listenable: you can listen to the whole thing from start to finish without getting tired.

Scheidt was a bon viveur by reputation, it's always nice when performances reveal a bit that side of his personality.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:28:16 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #483 on: July 10, 2018, 09:00:49 AM »
Well, just left the post quoted below in the 'listening thread' - Schütz does not seem to have his own thread - an important early Baroque German composer w/ a couple of visits to Italy (studied w/ Gabrieli & possibly Monteverdi) - short BIO HERE - love his blending of voice and instruments - a list of his works are in the link given - I'm missing the 'Sacred Symphonies' - Carus is offering 3 2-CD sets w/ Rademann (several well reviewed in the Fanfare Archives).

SO, any Schütz fans?  Recommendations, especially regarding the Carus project - thanks.  Dave :)

Well, I'm reading a book on musical instruments and the composer below was discussed in the trombone chapter - only own 7 or 8 discs of his works, but 5 are in the two sets below - so decided to give them a listen today:

Schütz, Heinrich (1585-1672) - Kleine Geistliche Konzerte & Geistliche Chormusik - both well done - see reviews attached, if interested - just checked Amazon - there seems to be many multi-CD offerings, a number on the Carus label - Dave :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:09:08 PM by SonicMan46 »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Well, just left the post quoted below in the 'listening thread' - Schütz does not seem to have his own thread - an important early Baroque German composer w/ a couple of visits to Italy (studied w/ Gabrieli & possibly Monteverdi) - short BIO HERE - love his blending of voice and instruments - a list of his works are in the link given - I'm missing the 'Sacred Symphonies' - Carus is offering 3 2-CD sets w/ Rademann (several well reviewed in the Fanfare Archives).

SO, any Schütz fans?  Recommendations, especially regarding the Carus project - thanks.  Dave :)

Well, the Schütz double-discs sets shown above are not cheap on Amazon USA - BUT, I just got some VISA credits to my account and used $50 to purchase the trio of six discs for about $30 - happy w/ the buy and plan to enjoy - attached are reviews of the three sets on MusicWeb, for those interested.  Dave :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:09:35 PM by SonicMan46 »

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Well, the Schütz double-discs sets shown above are not cheap on Amazon USA - BUT, I just got some VISA credits to my account and used $50 to purchase the trio of six discs for about $30 - happy w/ the buy and plan to enjoy - attached are reviews of the three sets on MusicWeb, for those interested.  Dave :)
So you decided not to go for the box sets, then? The backs of the boxes also say "English texts included", so that's good.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
So you decided not to go for the box sets, then? The backs of the boxes also say "English texts included", so that's good.

Hi North Star - yep, despite the great reviews (of which my 'Sacred Symphonies' are part of this project), I just would not want to listen that often to nearly 2 dozen CDs of Schütz's music, plus the ones I already own - SO, when these new arrivals are added to my collection, I'll have about 14 discs which seems enough for me.  Dave :)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
Hi North Star - yep, despite the great reviews (of which my 'Sacred Symphonies' are part of this project), I just would not want to listen that often to nearly 2 dozen CDs of Schütz's music, plus the ones I already own - SO, when these new arrivals are added to my collection, I'll have about 14 discs which seems enough for me.  Dave :)
Fair enough, Dave, if not in the GMG spirit of obsessive completism.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #488 on: July 29, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »
Fair enough, Dave, if not in the GMG spirit of obsessive completism.  :laugh:

LOL!  ;D  Well, I've been down that road plenty of times, so know the feeling!  ::) :D  Dave