Author Topic: "Golden Age Pianists":Cortot, Moiseiwitsch,Sofronitsky,Ney,Michelangeli etc  (Read 39051 times)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Looking around on Amazon I haven't been able to find substantial collections of Hofmann recordings that aren't OOP. Does anyone know of any?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

I knew Conrad Hansen initially through his Beethoven concerto with Furtwangler. This Mozart playing is muscular and poetic, some of the best Mozart playing I've ever heard. Is there a better transfer? The one on Qobuz is a bit metallic.

He recorded the Trout Quintet with The Strub Quartet, which I'm keen to hear if anyone knows of a transfer.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
I don't know what Quobuz is offering. But the soundbits at amazon for the Hansen sound like a historical fortepiano to my ears?!? Certainly not like a 1940s or 50s piano recording...

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01BCP3WWY/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Yes is believe it is a fortepiano, not a very good one IMO, though I can’t find the details.

Hansen was a pupil of Edwin Fischer, and it shows, in fact I like his style more than I like Edwin Fischer’s! 

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

He recorded the Trout Quintet with The Strub Quartet, which I'm keen to hear if anyone knows of a transfer.

This turns out to be available for free here, a very good transfer IMO and an excellent performance, with surprisingly "dark" moments and both pianists and Strubs inspired by their encounter,  better than the one that the Strubs made with Ney IMO

https://paulmichaelvonganski.wordpress.com/tag/strub-quartett/

The Strub Quartet are amazing IMO, I have them in this recording of the Schubert string quintet

If anyone sees a transfer of their recording of the Schubert G major quartet please let me know.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:20:04 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
If you can understand French this is fun

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YBuYX62w_mw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YBuYX62w_mw</a>

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Thanks for the Hansen/Strub link! Interesting and as you say, rather "serious" interpretation. And the sound is very good as well. (I am not the biggest fan of the "Trout" but it still is a great piece once in a while, maybe Schuberts first instrumental masterpiece together with the sonata D 664.)
It's surprising that there are so few recordings with the Strub Qt. I had not been aware that they were active for 20 years after the war until the mid 60s. I thought I had more Strub from some private transfers, but I can't find it...
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

I very much enjoy Petri's late Beethoven and for the first time I've started to listen to his Brahms op 117. Vigorous youthful late Brahms, no romantic effusion or Edwardian gentleman wiping away a tear of nostalgia here! No mystery neither but we can't have anything. 

Anyone else appreciate this pianist?

Years ago when I first heard this approach to late Brahms in Grimaud, I thought of it as "modern", but nothing could be further from the truth. It may be modernist, but it's not modern.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:45:56 AM by Mandryka »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.