Author Topic: Chopin's mazurkas  (Read 20644 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Chopin's mazurkas
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2018, 01:35:46 AM »

Dang Thai Son knows how to drive a piano and he knows how to play Chopin. The tone he makes emerge is . . . hammerless and richly colourful; the interpretations are nuanced and sophisticated. The playing is full of a totally natural and rather original rubato. The irony in the music, the ambiguous emotional life of the mazurkas, is well realised. There's not the slightest suggestion of either the bourgeois salon or peasant dance hall. These mazurkas are, in Dang's hands, soul music, not just foot music or voice  music.

This is one of the best mazurka sets on modern piano. What a shame he didn't use a real Chopin piano though!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:41:50 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2018, 05:10:53 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mandryka!

Who are your overall favorites, in order if you don't mind, at this point for the Mazurkas?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2018, 09:58:46 PM »

I want to get something out of the way before singing the praises of Idil Biret's mazurkas. She does not have a subtle, colourful, nuanced touch; she does not have a sensitive and imaginative way of expressing herself.

Nevertheless, I love this, because it's so intense. It's totally magnetic, hypnotic. I feel I can sense her sincerity completely. I can't stop listening once I start - and I'm certainly ready to tolerate her limitations.

(There's something about these performances which made me think of The Salomon Quartet.)

The recording quality is listenable.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:08:47 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen